collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 378
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: The real reason F1 sucks - No HD!  (Read 8603 times)

Offline Canada Darrell™

The real reason F1 sucks - No HD!
« on: March 17, 2010, 05:26:45 PM »
Lightheartedly saying "F1 sucks"...don't hate on me!  ;)

New to the board so I hope I'm not rehashing old gripes!

Lets see, over here in Canada for HD sports I can watch:

Hockey
Baseball
Football (college, pro, university)
Soccer
Fishing  :fool:
DOG SHOWS!  :fool:
Horses (racing, jumping and whatever else they do)
Nascar (both the "real" Nascar and the Jr. League and truck series)
Indycar (IRL)
Drag Racing
Boxing
Golf

Hmmm, whats missing from this picture?  :'(

I honestly, literally, DO NOT watch any TV that isn't in HD anymore...except F1. Therefore F1 does NOT suck, but the brains behind the marketing do!

At least we get in in 16x9 now.

Jeez, I hope its not becasue we're in North America and all you lucky people "over there" get it in HD?

Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline kl1462832

Re: The real reason F1 sucks - No HD!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 06:13:23 PM »
Hi!
If "over there" means Europe, no, we also have 16x9 but no HD.

Bernie, come on! Give us HD F1, please!

;-)

HIH

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 07:09:48 PM »
Add to your list:

American LeMans Series
Wrestling

POKER!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 07:12:51 PM »
Remember some years back, he was trying to start up his own HD F1 network, but nobody wanted to pay what he was asking (to re-broadcast, or to pay-per-view), which is no big surprise considering what he thinks his services are worth to the world.  Well, the whole thing folded, and Bernie lost what to many other people would be a large fortune.  

So my theory is that he is a spoiled little brat who would rather break his own toys than share them - i.e. if people don't want his HD broadcast, then NOBODY is getting it.  A petty, petty little man.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 07:15:27 PM »

We do?

I don't.  I get it on TSN, and it's 4x3.  I wrote TSN last month, and said I'm not paying for their HD service until F1 is in HD.  (No response as of yet.)

(I do like HD hockey, but only watch Saturday night games any more, and CBCHD is just fine.)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 07:19:21 PM »
Remember some years back, he was trying to start up his own HD F1 network, but nobody wanted to pay what he was asking (to re-broadcast, or to pay-per-view), which is no big surprise considering what he thinks his services are worth to the world.  Well, the whole thing folded, and Bernie lost what to many other people would be a large fortune.  

So my theory is that he is a spoiled little brat who would rather break his own toys than share them - i.e. if people don't want his HD broadcast, then NOBODY is getting it.  A petty, petty little man.

HD coverage is available.  After getting my HD box I watched a repeat of the Bahrain GP from last year on SpeedTV from the USA.  The image was in HD, and breathtaking.

I do remember Bernie's PPV plan.  It was certainly ambitious, and NASCAR does it in Canada/USA, though I believe Bernie's plan predated the NASCAR effort.  Bernie could probably dust it off, take advantage of the larger install base/cheaper architecture and charge half what he was before and make his money back by the Belgian GP.

Offline Ian

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 08:31:36 PM »
I can watch F1 on the BBC HD channel, but it's not filmed in HD so all you get is a sharper picture.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 08:43:01 PM »

We do?

I don't.  I get it on TSN, and it's 4x3.  I wrote TSN last month, and said I'm not paying for their HD service until F1 is in HD.  (No response as of yet.)

(I do like HD hockey, but only watch Saturday night games any more, and CBCHD is just fine.)

TSN HD is 16x9 but in "enhanced" SD. The non-HD TSN is still in 4x3.
They will not respond to your request, other than the blanket "Thank you for your enquiry...blah blah" as they have no control over the originating broadcast.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 09:02:38 PM by Canada Darrell »

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 08:44:11 PM »
I can watch F1 on the BBC HD channel, but it's not filmed in HD so all you get is a sharper picture.

Yup, same thing we get here on our Sports HD channel. TSNHD

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 09:01:49 PM »

HD coverage is available.  After getting my HD box I watched a repeat of the Bahrain GP from last year on SpeedTV from the USA.  The image was in HD, and breathtaking.

I do remember Bernie's PPV plan.  It was certainly ambitious, and NASCAR does it in Canada/USA, though I believe Bernie's plan predated the NASCAR effort.  Bernie could probably dust it off, take advantage of the larger install base/cheaper architecture and charge half what he was before and make his money back by the Belgian GP.

That particular HD broadcast was just a "one off" kind of deal, if it was actually in HD and not the "enhanced definition" 16x9 that we get in Canada on TSNHD and on BBC across the pond. It does look wayyyy better that SD (standard def to those non techie types!) but its a long way from HD. There are no HD broadcasts originating from all the F1 races.
On a side not, and I'm not saying you Jericoke, a common misconception for people that have HD service available is that not everything you watch will necessarily be in HD just because you're watching an HD channel.
Just to clarify, Nascar is not PPV (I kind of got the impression from the way you worded your response that is was) but in fact, available on the regular HD channels. Every race in glorious HD..has been for almost 5 years now.
If Bernie, or anyone else thinks that there is money to be made from PPV F1 then they're ill-advised.
Here's how spoiled we are in Canada when it comes to HD. Last year one of our broadcasters, CBC I believe, was going to broadcast a Vancouver Canucks hockey game in SD because it was deemed "too expensive" to send the HD truck down to Colorado. There was a huge negative backlash, and a very savvy local entrepreneur kicked in the $100,000 cost to sponsor the truck himself! He got lots of "free" advertising during the game...and CBC never tried that old excuse again!  :P

I'm spoiled!

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 09:13:50 PM »
Jeez, I hope its not becasue we're in North America and all you lucky people "over there" get it in HD? {Canada Darrell - original post}

In Britain, not only is F1 not in true HD yet, but it's also still broadcast in a dual-format 16:9/4:3 format, which predates the 16:9 format. The rationale is that in Britain, it's still possible to buy 4:3 TVs, but those people who have 16:9s find it quite strange.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

david1275

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 10:42:49 PM »
I haven't even got a heavy duty TV!!  :D

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 11:21:45 PM »
Ya know, I just had this thought driving home, and anyone over about 40 and is from Canada (Scott!) can relate.

We have a hockey team in Toronto called The Toronto Maple Leafs which up until 1990 was owned by a tyrant named Harold Ballard who treated his players, the fans and the media like sh*t. He was quite possibly (other than a lawyer/player representative name Alan Eagleson) the worse thing to happen to hockey...ever. But the Maple Leafs were a very popular team, and people and broadcasters would pay just about any amount of money for the product. Harold could basically dress up turds in hockey gear and people would still have payed to see the product. He wouldn't spend any money other than was required to keep the team running. He even let the Maple Leaf Gardens fall into disrepair because he was so cheap and greedy. He wouldn't pay players their market value and nobody wanted to play for him.

When Harold Ballard passed away in 1990 and ownership changed hands, it was like the dark ages had lifted and the Maple Leafs are now hugely sucessfull....but they still suck as a team! Take that leafs fans!  :tease:

I guess what I'm saying is... GO AWAY BERNIE!!!!!! You've lost it! Either that or bring me in as a consultant..I come cheap...really...I'm thinking $250k/year...  :good:

First order of business; completely revamp the TV broadcasting. Get rid of host country directors..then I don't have to watch some hometown backmarker as we miss out on the excitement up front.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 11:53:07 PM »
Well... the major difference between Ballard and Bernie was that Ballard never had empty stands, no matter how awful the Leafs got.

As for NASCAR, yes you can watch it live in HD, but there's a NASCAR package that is PPV that allows you to choose your camera angle, even among a dozen or so in car cams.  I'm pretty sure that's what Bernie was trying to do for F1.

Offline PG_Gabriel

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 03:36:12 AM »
Here in america speed was broadcasting Bahrain in hd, at least it was on speed HD and it sure looked good! but maybe it wasnt hd and just a sharper image

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle