collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 374
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: The real reason F1 sucks - No HD!  (Read 8604 times)

Offline Scott

Re: The real reason F1 sucks - No HD!
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 06:30:04 AM »
Ya know, I just had this thought driving home, and anyone over about 40 and is from Canada (Scott!) can relate.

Aw Jeez, cat's out of the bag...I've been telling everyone here that I'm just 30!!   ;)

Harold Ballard sure springs to mind when thinking about how a despised old fart can suck the heart and soul (and value) out of a team, but thankfully he never ran the entire NHL. 

Bernie is certainly past his due date, and to me, his power is a reflection of the weakness and disorganization of the team owners so far.  Seriously, how could they agree to something so ridiculous as the CA in the first place without taking at least 80-90% of the revenues for themselves, for the technical investment they need to keep on making??  Why hasn't anyone sued the FIA for selling the commercial rights to Bernie for 100 years (is a contract like that even legal??).  Why is someone with so little understanding of what goes into an exciting F1 track still being awarded contract after contract to build them? 

FOTA pushed out their collective chest out briefly when they first got together, but they've obviously had a dressing down because they are little more than a joke at the moment - with as little control or say over the sport as they've ever had.  I was ready to embrace the new face of F1, including all the bumps I knew would be in the way (I bet they would have figured out how to make passing possible).

Someone needs to come into the sport from another direction and take Bernie's toybox away.  CVC has the power, but again not the guts.  Todt has the power, but apparently not the desire.

Shut down Bernie!

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

FW14B

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 08:23:56 AM »
Currently with shows listed as HD you have to be careful as a lot of them are not actually HD, ie filmed on HD cameras.  On Sky in the UK you can see which shows are HD on the HD channels and maybe less than 50% are native to that format.  A lot are just upscaled, whereby extra lines of the picture are added digitally with a kind of guesswork. 

Still, even upscaled SD pictures are better than normal ones!

Offline Scott

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 11:56:09 AM »
I get HD, but only when I stick one of those little BlueRay thingies in the black box...and in a bizarre twist, I can get HD when I download it from iTunes and then play it from my teeny weeny iPhone through a few cables on to my TV.

It's coming, 'they' tell us, but when and how is still to be answered.  Best bet will be over the telephone line when they jack up the bandwidth. 

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
First order of business; completely revamp the TV broadcasting. Get rid of host country directors.. {Canada Darrell - 6 posts ago}

Apart from Monaco, there are no host country directors for F1 any more. It's all FOM-directed now, but as far as I can tell FOM's standards are basically those of the old Austrian GP local directors, meaning most local directors did a better job - there were more overtaking moves in the Bahrain GP than the average in the whole of 2009, yet the directors only caught three (I think) of those moves on film :(
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 02:19:18 PM »
Why hasn't anyone sued the FIA for selling the commercial rights to Bernie for 100 years (is a contract like that even legal??). {Scott - 4 posts ago}

Easy. The EU approved the arrangement (apparently a 10-year contract is bad from an anti-monopolistic perspective but a 100-year leasehold is good, and I don't have the foggiest idea why) and Max simply didn't make much effort to find buyers, meaning that Bernie was the only bidder. So the deal is 100% legal - just very, very stupid.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 02:21:30 PM »
Why is someone with so little understanding of what goes into an exciting F1 track still being awarded contract after contract to build them?  {Scott - 6 posts ago}

Because Hermann has a near-three-decade-long track record of building circuits to time, to the minimum specifications for a valid track of the relevant FIA circuit approval level and has a good safety record. The FIA prefers "safe" to "exciting" because the PR hit from a boring race is smaller than that of a dangerous one, particularly in view of the effect on the non-sporting elements of the FIA's operations.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline gato

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 06:30:41 PM »
I have not experiences about HD because my tele has not that. Wises says that the HD is ideal when the screen is big, not small because there resolution is anyway small. I watch F1 races from RTL in that quality that they offer and i hve been satisfield with it. Texts in boxs are too small  :tease:, i must go near beside my tele that i can see them!
La macchina e´ bella quando quella vincerà. (The car is beautiful when it wins)
- Enzo Ferrari

Offline Slugger

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2010, 07:11:51 PM »
I can watch F1 on the BBC HD channel, but it's not filmed in HD so all you get is a sharper picture.

Every time I remember to look whether it's on the HD channel it's not  :confused:

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2010, 08:00:32 PM »
HD? My TV still has a picture tube. I'm just glad it's not black & white. :crazy:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 04:08:29 AM »
My TV still has a picture tube too - in fact, between the six screens in my house that aren't on portable devices, the only one that is flatscreen is the cheap one for watching the security system.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline gato

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2010, 05:51:24 PM »
Ali, how you can watch six screens same time at home??  :o For my eyes one screen is enough and at work I watch two screens at same time so I am also happy  :D about moments when I can keep my only screen home switched and keep my eyes relax. :lazy:
La macchina e´ bella quando quella vincerà. (The car is beautiful when it wins)
- Enzo Ferrari

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2010, 09:40:28 PM »
I come into my office for every race, so I can watch it on three screens. The left and center screens are video feeds from different sources. The right hand laptop has Timing & Scoring from formula1.com, and the Wizard Lounge (Chat Room). This was during Spa last year.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2010, 10:12:58 PM »
Bag o' popcorn and a small drink from the local theatre eh?

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2010, 07:37:38 AM »
The cup is from a truck stop. It holds 64oz, (1/2 gallon). I refill it with Mt. Dew on the way in every morning. It usually lasts me until lunch.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2010, 08:09:55 AM »
Of course I was kidding.  I couldn't make out where it was from, but considering it is almost as high as your monitor, I guessed it was massive. 

Nice command center Cos.  Maybe more of us should try to take pictures of how we watch the races.  I hope Darrell sends one in - he's got a TV that rivals some theatres!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle