collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 367
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Hamiton stopped by Police ....  (Read 5137 times)

markb

Re: Hamiton stopped by Police ....
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 12:11:10 PM »
Scott, opinions is what this forum is all about, that's why it's such a good Forum....and I hear where you are coming from about role models - when I mentioned that, I was really meaning "role model" for the young kids from, shall we say certain areas of society....

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 01:09:40 PM »

I have to pick up on this whole 'Role Model' thing, IMO it's just a bloody cop out by politicians for the lousy way they set the social agenda. Sure we need youngsters to be inspired by both the acheivment and way that sports people make it happen, however I see no requirement for the sports stars to be overly correct and pristine like some sanitized idol.

The world ain't perfect by a long chalk so expecting kids to be good just because top sports stars wear proverbial 'starched white suits' is a nonsense. I personaly feel that when people like Lewis trip up and have to face a consequence it give kids a much more rounded perspective on the pitfalls life, and crazy laws, have in store for all of us.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 03:03:17 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 11:39:39 PM »
Although I'm glad he wasn't treated with white gloves, I wonder sometimes if we can really call the average F1 driver a 'role model'?  A sports icon sure, but considering the antics of many off-track, and a few on-track, why should anyone look to them as a role model?  The marketers may want us to think of them that way when they are hocking the sponsors ware, but come on, many of them got there because of a huge pot of luck and timing, and sometimes just money.  I want my kid's role models to have a lot more than luck, timing or money.  A little more intelligence and a lot of common sense to start with.

Just my opinion.

i'm hearing you Scotty and I appreciate your sensibilities - just wishing sense like yours was a bit more common.

well said mate  :good:
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 11:52:58 PM »

I have to pick up on this whole 'Role Model' thing, IMO it's just a bloody cop out by politicians for the lousy way they set the social agenda. Sure we need youngsters to be inspired by both the acheivment and way that sports people make it happen, however I see no requirement for the sports stars to be overly correct and pristine like some sanitized idol.

The world ain't perfect by a long chalk so expecting kids to be good just because top sports stars wear proverbial 'starched white suits' is a nonsense. I personaly feel that when people like Lewis trip up and have to face a consequence it give kids a much more rounded perspective on the pitfalls life, and crazy laws, have in store for all of us.

hear, hear John and, once again, many thanks for your wise perception and opinion about "......this whole 'Role Model' thing."

your

"......however I see no requirement for the sports stars to be overly correct and pristine like some sanitized idol"

sure says it for me.  :good:

"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Offline romephius

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 12:02:22 AM »
Whilst all very eloquent and more importantly TRUE statements by you all.  The politicians and cops aren't the problems with Idolizing sports stars.  It's US, the public, that make these athletes into celebrities and role models.  Just look at the hollywood 'A-list' for example.  All just normal people doing a job for stupid amounts of money, they have drug problems, alcohol abuse issues and more, yet despite all this they are still idolised.  When it comes to sports celebrities, when they make a mistake, especially one that's linked to what they do for a living (eg: a boxer hitting someone), it's always blown out of proportion and you'll get all sorts of skewed opinions and media will sensationalise what happens. 

I just think that sometimes a sports star should stop and think just a little bit harder at times before doing something, I know I do and I'm a nobody.  It's just good sense that everyone needs to display.

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2010, 12:48:44 AM »
Whilst all very eloquent and more importantly TRUE statements by you all.  The politicians and cops aren't the problems with Idolizing sports stars.  It's US, the public, that make these athletes into celebrities and role models.  Just look at the hollywood 'A-list' for example.  All just normal people doing a job for stupid amounts of money, they have drug problems, alcohol abuse issues and more, yet despite all this they are still idolised.  When it comes to sports celebrities, when they make a mistake, especially one that's linked to what they do for a living (eg: a boxer hitting someone), it's always blown out of proportion and you'll get all sorts of skewed opinions and media will sensationalise what happens. 

I just think that sometimes a sports star should stop and think just a little bit harder at times before doing something, I know I do and I'm a nobody.  It's just good sense that everyone needs to display.

brilliant post Rom. Thanks for pointing out how more leniently movie celebs etc. are treated than sports stars.

Somehow we expect higher standards of behaviour from our sporting heroes and I wonder if one of the reasons is we identify more closely with them?

Enjoy the race mate and I hope mark WEBBER wins for the second time in his career. He is one sports star who is a "fair dinkum" decent bloke of impeccable class and character.

Perhaps a "man amongst the boys"?

Offline Andy B

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 11:19:47 AM »
Australian Roads Minister calls LH a "dickhead"!!!
Its true check it out http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8592317.stm
Do they pull every driver who wheelspins? I doubt it I expect the officer now has the bragging rights to "I nicked LH".
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline romephius

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 12:12:34 PM »
Typical bloody politician, crucify a big name in the press just to get his popularity up.  Lewis has appologised, he'll get a fine, his car was impounded for 48 hours and he's been publically embarrassed by his own actions... surely enough is enough.  Let the young fella pay his fine and get on with his career.

Actually now I think of it, they should ignore fining him and get him involved in a road safety ad. 

markb

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 12:16:52 PM »
 :yahoo:  good idea but I don't think Lewis will take too kindly to that offer, especially after being called a "dickhead" in public!!!!!!!!!!!!

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 01:21:50 PM »

The trouble is the politician has undermined the police by calling Lewis a dickhead, :fool: the hoons will love it. They are rebelling anyway with their wild behaviour so heaping insult onto Lewis will only make him, and his actions, into a bigger folk legend to them.  :crazy:

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Ian

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2010, 09:51:45 AM »
Why all the fuss over youthful exuberance, Italian police let speeding F1 drivers off for an autograph, Rene arnoux was nicked doing 242kph through a French village with a 90kph limit, but as he played petanque with President Mitterand he was let off, Button was done for speeding in a 3 series,  BMW paid the fine. Good luck to Lewis.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2010, 11:48:08 AM »
...now he's been officially charged for the incident.  Somehow I don't think he'll show up for the hearing.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83815
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2010, 12:40:15 PM »
Not when it's 4 days before Spa ;)
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline judy

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2010, 05:38:06 PM »
He can get his lawyer to represent him, instead of attending the court hearing. I don't think Hamilton will fly all the way to Melbourne and show up at the hearing, with the free practice session for Belgium GP only 3 days later!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle