collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 383
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Alonso vs Massa...  (Read 9909 times)

markb

Alonso vs Massa...
« on: March 30, 2010, 12:09:17 PM »
This is turning out to be a very interesting season by all accounts, as we have various "team battles" developing, as I am sure you are all aware!!! This latest story, courtesy of BBC Sport makes good reading, especially for all you Ferrari lovers....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8593478.stm

Offline Scott

Re: Alonso vs Massa...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 12:17:43 PM »
There is as yet no underlying evidence that Alonso will be able to consistently beat Massa and thereby form a natural hierarchy between them.

I would say that Alonzo flying through the field from last place only to sit behind 3rd place Massa is proof enough that he was dominant over Massa in Australia.  I expect that sort of dominance to continue, but when will Ferrari management accept it?

As for the trouble Alonzo might cause the team if they don't give him absolute #1 status immediately, surely he knows he can only burn so many bridges in F1 before he finds himself at a team like Minardi again (or Virgin for example).

We'll see if anything comes of it, but I wonder if Ferrari aren't better at their media/driver management than any of the other teams that he's tried to implode.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

FW14B

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 01:57:49 PM »
I cannot see the Ferrari situation ending up in any other way than Alonso dominating the team.  He is a far stronger racer and will get those Ferrari mechanics on his side in a way Raikkonen couldn't. 

david1275

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 09:46:52 PM »
I don't think Massa will be a push over for Alonso at all. He may have had a slightly difficult quli in Oz, but he had a fantastic start and in the later stages of the race he was racing Kubica and Alonso. His fastest race lap was faster than what Alonso managed even when charging through the field, so IMO there was no call for team orders, Alonso done his job to secure the best result he could for the team. People under estimate just how good Massa really is, and forget his seat hasn't been challenged since he joined Ferrari in 2006, out driving even the great Kimi. He is a true team player and I believe he should have been WDC in 2008 only for the unfortunate circumstances on the last lap in Brazil, he was the best driver that year. Being a Ferrari fan as well as a Massa fan I obviously hope that Alonso is successful, and if wins the championships, so be it. However, I'm sure they won't have to come at the expense of discontent within team at least from Massa's side.

FW14B

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 08:10:13 AM »
Massa isn't bad but I think he is far too dependent and reliant on Rob Smedley for guidance during a race.  I agree he was desperately unlucky to not win the WDC in 2008, I thought he had it sewn up only for the worst luck (in his opinion) to strike.  To me he just lacks 'something' and I am not entirely sure what it is.  That is not to say that on his day (and especially at certain tracks) he can be sublime and totally dominate a whole grand prix weekend. 
Anyway, I wonder what you think of the speculation mentioned by the BBC during the Australian Grand Prix of Kubica making a switch to Ferrari.  That would surely be to replace Massa?  Is there any truth in it?

Offline Monty

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 09:11:57 AM »
I would say that Alonzo flying through the field from last place only to sit behind 3rd place Massa is proof enough that he was dominant over Massa in Australia.  I expect that sort of dominance to continue

I guess you are an Alonso fan? As a neutral I completely disagree. Massa has never been good at the Park but he is fantastic at other tracks.

Alonso caused his own problems. Perhaps the useless mirrors can be blamed but it was his own bad driving that got him facing the wrong direction on the first lap.

When you consider the dominance of this year's Ferraris, Alonso's drive through the field wasn't hard to understand. What is key is that he got nowhere near overtaking Massa (Hamilton proved you could overtake cars of similar pace including your team mate).
I probably agree that Alonso has more raw speed than Massa but I still think Massa can compete at most tracks and Alonso's ego may get in the way of future success.

markb

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 09:16:24 AM »
Wow, Kubica switching to Ferrari, this early in the season?  Given his excellent drive and 2nd place last weekend, I wonder if there will be any merit in him switching, and would Massa want to switch to Renault anyway....it would be like giving up the fight with Alonso!

I am not saying that every driver is perfect, but I believe one of the major skill missing from Massa is his abitlity to drive a decent race when it's WET, he always seems to be sliding all over the track.

In any case, I hope he doesn't move, as I think there will be some v.interesting "duels" between him and Alonso, as is the case with Button v Hamy, Vettel v Webber and our friend Shuey v R'berg.

FW14B

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 09:21:25 AM »
I think they said something about Kubica possibly only remaining at Renault for 1 year with the speculation being he'd end up at Ferrari afterwards.  I may have misheard though!  It does seem an odd one to me as Kubica seems a great fit at Renault, the guys there are really responding to him and he seems to like it there.  I guess the only issue is the long term backing and finances now it is owned by that Genii Company? 

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 12:19:50 PM »

I tend to agree with Monty, Felippe has never been strong at Melbourne so for him it was a good result. Other tracks suit Massa better so we should see a good old ding dong going between him and Alonso. With the looks of things we do seem to have a good few battles starting to progress between the teamates at the top 4 teams, can only be good for us the fans. :yahoo:

On the Kubica question I think the comments all stem from Robert's stated long term aim to get a drive at the Prancing Horse, I'm not so sure Ferrari will oust either Massa or Alonso next year if they get good results. Nice little thought though for Stephanie to dangle over Massa and Ferd's heads, just to keep them on their toes, a contract is no protection - ask Kimi. ;)

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 04:55:48 PM »
I cannot see the Ferrari situation ending up in any other way than Alonso dominating the team.  He is a far stronger racer and will get those Ferrari mechanics on his side in a way Raikkonen couldn't. 

exactly, you don't get to be twice WDC in two consecutive seasons by being a klutz and felipe is no mug either, so it's a 'win-win' for us fans.

..........but Raikkonen? Lol, Raikkonen who?

Who is he?!!? :tease:
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 06:02:22 PM »
I guess you are an Alonso fan? As a neutral I completely disagree. Massa has never been good at the Park but he is fantastic at other tracks.

Not so much, but more due to his non-racing behaviour.  I'm certainly not a fan of Massa's though.  I see no comparison between the two at Ferrari.  IMO Alonzo is a far better racer with much more natural talent.  As it's been said before, Massa has worked extremely hard to get where he is in Ferrari, but I think the guys that look at the telemetry have the best idea, and after 5 years at Ferrari, the other guy still keeps getting paid more - I wonder why (not really).

Anyway, I wonder what you think of the speculation mentioned by the BBC during the Australian Grand Prix of Kubica making a switch to Ferrari.  That would surely be to replace Massa?  Is there any truth in it?   :DntKnw:

Naaa, that's just media speculation.  Every time someone in a team that is no better than mid-field gets a podium, they rumour a switch to Ferrari.  Look at Fisi...oh wait a minute, that one happened.    ;) ;)
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 06:43:56 PM »

Anyway, I wonder what you think of the speculation mentioned by the BBC during the Australian Grand Prix of Kubica making a switch to Ferrari.  That would surely be to replace Massa?  Is there any truth in it?   :DntKnw:

Naaa, that's just media speculation.  Every time someone in a team that is no better than mid-field gets a podium, they rumour a switch to Ferrari.  Look at Fisi...oh wait a minute, that one happened.    ;) ;)

You're not a true F1 racer until you've been rumoured to be going to Ferrari.  Whenever Vettel's contract is up, he'll be rumoured to go there too.  Probably too late for Button or Webber though.

markb

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 07:03:56 PM »
Sorry, but are you, therefore, saying that a World Driver's Championship is not worth as much if a driver wins it with any other team other than Ferrari?

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 08:30:40 PM »
Sorry, but are you, therefore, saying that a World Driver's Championship is not worth as much if a driver wins it with any other team other than Ferrari?

I don't believe I was saying that.  It's just that Button is the only champion in a decade not to be rumoured to be going to Ferrari.  (And I didn't follow F1 gossip before.  Anyone know if Hakkinnen/Hill/Villeneuve or Senna were ever rumoured to go scarlet?)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 10:15:04 PM »

Anyone know if Hakkinnen/Hill/Villeneuve or Senna were ever rumoured to go scarlet?)

I think the question should be; would any of them have seriously considered a drive at Ferrari? At that time Ferrari was very much a midfield team still living on past glories.

It wasn't until Schumi got them believing they could and then actually started winning championships again that they became the most sort after seat.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle