collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 372
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Kers to make return in 2011?  (Read 10712 times)

FW14B

Kers to make return in 2011?
« on: April 02, 2010, 08:23:00 AM »
Well, that is another spectacular waste of resources if they bring it back in after scrapping it..

From Autosport:

Teams to discuss return of KERS

By Jonathan Noble and Dieter Rencken    Friday, April 2nd 2010, 02:25 GMT

The potential return of Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems (KERS) to Formula 1 for 2011 is set to dominate the agenda of a meeting of team principals in Malaysia later today, AUTOSPORT has learned.

The Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) is holding a get-together this evening to discuss the lessons of the first few races, and begin evaluation of improvements that could be made to the sport to improve the show.

Although some of the talks are expected to revolve around technical changes to the cars, sources suggest that one of the main areas of focus to help improving overtaking will be in getting KERS back on the cars.

The green technology was abandoned at the end of last year when teams agreed amongst themselves not to run the devices for 2010, because of the vast expense in successfully developing it. The use of the system remains in F1's technical regulations, however.

AUTOSPORT understands that teams will look at all options for a KERS return in 2011 - ranging from a standard supplier to freeing up the technology totally. Teams will also look at exactly how much, or how little, power the KERS should have.

The momentum behind getting KERS back has been increased because of the difficulties that drivers have faced in overtaking this season - and providing a push-to-pass system once again would help with the racing.

There is also a high chance that revisions to the cars already in the pipeline will help the situation further. Double diffusers have already been banned for 2011, which should cut downforce levels, while it is understood that the FIA is looking at increasing the width of F1's rear tyres to 18 inches for next year - up from the 13 inches of the current generation.

This will produce much more mechanical grip, which should be another factor in helping boost the racing spectacle.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 08:26:30 AM by Williamsfan »

Jugirl

Re: Kers to make return in 2011?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 08:41:24 AM »
I think this could be a costly move, maybe difficult for newer teams to install but it could really spice up the overtaking and make every lap possibly full of overtakes and re takes. It could give McLaren a slight initial advantage too as their system was by far the most successful in 2009.
So if it comes in...please Ferrari design a better system than McLaren!! hehe
Jugirl

markb

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 09:34:18 AM »
I think this could be a costly move, maybe difficult for newer teams to install but it could really spice up the overtaking and make every lap possibly full of overtakes and re takes. It could give McLaren a slight initial advantage too as their system was by far the most successful in 2009.
So if it comes in...please Ferrari design a better system than McLaren!! hehe
Jugirl

We'll see what happens, but it seems odd that they are considering re-introducing KERS when there were so many teams against it...including Ferrari!

Offline Ian

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 10:16:04 AM »
I thought Ecclestone was commited to reducing costs. I never liked KERS anyway. Get rid of the double diffusers and re-design rear wings so that turbulance is cut down and slipstreaming is possible.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 12:51:59 PM »
I liked KERS, and I love that they propose to take the limits off.  F1 is supposed to be cutting edge... when a Toyota Prius is more advanced than an F1 car, it just ain't right.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 01:08:35 PM »
when a Toyota Prius is more advanced than an F1 car, it just ain't right.

But when the driver of an F1 car lifts of the accelerator, it stops speeding up. The brakes work on F1 cars, too. Not so for the Prius.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

markb

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 01:12:27 PM »
Excuse me, but I thought the Prius is a "road" car....., so why the comparison between that and an F1 car?

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 02:38:25 PM »
Excuse me, but I thought the Prius is a "road" car....., so why the comparison between that and an F1 car?

Because 'pinnacle' means top.

One of the aspects that the FIA wanted to institute in F1 was 'trickle down technology'... all the stuff we see in F1 cars now will be in road cars in 5 years.  Now F1 is lagging behind road cars.

If that's how the FIA wants to play it, that's fine.  But if I'm not looking for high tech cars, I can watch something more local.

Offline Dare

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 02:43:51 PM »
I thought Ecclestone was commited to reducing costs. I never liked KERS anyway. Get rid of the double diffusers and re-design rear wings so that turbulance is cut down and slipstreaming is possible.

my thoughts exactly Ian
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 02:49:07 PM »
kERS is still allowed in the regs, it's only a gentlemens agreement through FOTA that has left it out this season. There are a few teams in favour of kers, Macca and Williams to name but two. I have always understood that it was likely to reappear in 2011 so this has probably been on the aggenda for this FOTA meeting for a long time.

I'm in favour of anything that spices up the racing so a free for all is my choice, use it or not and use the system you want, top teams can sell customer versions to the low budget teams then everyones happy.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 03:04:55 PM »
Because 'pinnacle' means top.

I thought it's a card game played with a double euchre deck.  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 04:57:57 PM »

my thoughts exactly Ian

:good: :good: :good:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

FW14B

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 05:37:48 PM »
Well, personally I'd like to see Williams system in a Williams as opposed to a Porsche, so we can find out how it would work in F1.  But I can understand the anti push to pass sentiments.  To me it should not be necessary, just sort out the cars so they can overtake with more ease!

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 06:06:28 PM »
I'm not happy about this. Last year, KERS was used in the same way as "push-to-pass" in A1GP - that is to say as a "push-to-defend" button, because it was so much more effective in that role than in initiating an overtake. Therefore reintroducing KERS is likely to reduce the racing. Overtaking went up when KERS was stopped - why go backwards?
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 06:27:50 PM »
I'm not happy about this. Last year, KERS was used in the same way as "push-to-pass" in A1GP - that is to say as a "push-to-defend" button, because it was so much more effective in that role than in initiating an overtake. Therefore reintroducing KERS is likely to reduce the racing. Overtaking went up when KERS was stopped - why go backwards?

Overtaking is up this year over last year?  Once McLaren and Ferrari got the KERS sorted out, they were very exciting to watch.  I think the testing ban made it harder for teams to iron it out, which was a bit of a shame.  Of all the 'solutions' brought up to spice up F1, no one seems to bring that back up.  I can appreciate the cost cutting aspect, but allowing drivers time to become experts in their machines goes a long way to the spectacle.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle