collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 365
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Mclaren set for 03.s Ride-Height Boost!!!  (Read 4309 times)

Offline Chris Borg

Re: Mclaren set for 03.s Ride-Height Boost!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 06:11:46 AM »
I am in full agreement John.

This is basically down to the FIA.......(Red Bull).....must have a system that is too damn good for the scrutineers to pick up on. :nono:
You Race to win.

Aryton Senna.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 02:48:28 PM »
If I remember correctly in the distant past ride height was changed by sending an electrical charge through an oil or other substance this caused the liquid to expand or contract and also changed its density. This was deemed illegal, I think there is a point to all of this in that the RBR's cannot run in qualifying and ground out and then add 150kg to the car and still have clearance so something it going on.
Its what F1 is all about, innovation!!
I love it. :yahoo:
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

markb

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 03:07:19 PM »
If I remember correctly in the distant past ride height was changed by sending an electrical charge through an oil or other substance this caused the liquid to expand or contract and also changed its density. This was deemed illegal, I think there is a point to all of this in that the RBR's cannot run in qualifying and ground out and then add 150kg to the car and still have clearance so something it going on.
Its what F1 is all about, innovation!!
I love it. :yahoo:

As Chris and yourself quite rightly stated above, yes RBR are certainly up to something, and they are loving keeping the other teams (and us) guessing....but I hope they get b....y caught!

Offline Scott

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 07:21:07 PM »
Hopefully as long as teams like RBR can afford to pay the smart guys more than the FIA, then it will take longer for the FIA to figure it out.   :D :D
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 08:28:30 PM »
Hopefully as long as teams like RBR can afford to pay the smart guys more than the FIA, then it will take longer for the FIA to figure it out.   :D :D

Hypothetically, if the FIA finds a problem with the RBR system, would RBR be disqualified from that single race, or all races where they used the system?

Is there no chance that RBR is using a low tech solution?  Letting air out of the tires?  Manually changing ride height between qualifying and race day?  Putting rocks in Vettel's pockets during qualifying?

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2010, 08:57:53 PM »

Hypothetically, if the FIA finds a problem with the RBR system, would RBR be disqualified from that single race, or all races where they used the system?

Is there no chance that RBR is using a low tech solution?  Letting air out of the tires?  Manually changing ride height between qualifying and race day?  Putting rocks in Vettel's pockets during qualifying?

On the first point because the cars have been cleared by the scrutineers for the 3 races they have attended this year, it will be difficult to prove when something illegal is found that it was on the car at the previous races. I therefore can't see any penalties being imposed.

Nice thought about the drivers carrying something Jeri but the big trick is to get the ride height lower without adding weight. Yes tyre pressures can be altered by the teams if they wish.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

markb

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2010, 07:14:42 PM »
The FIA have clarified that any system allowing teams to alter the ride-height of their cars between qualifying and a race at grand prix weekends would be declared illegal.

The clarification comes after Red Bull Racing boss Christian Horner was forced to deny over the course of the Malaysian Grand Prix weekend that his team were using such a system to get the best out of the RB6 during qualifying.

Such a system would be beneficial as under current rules teams are not allowed to adjust their cars following the end of qualifying.

Any self-altering system would allow a team to gain more aerodynamic performance by running low to the ground in qualifying trim, but then raise the height of the car when it is running on a full tank of fuel on race day.

McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh had recently hinted that his team were preparing to develop a system of their own, but the governing body have now stepped in.

A letter to all Formula One teams said: "Any system device or procedure, the purpose and/or effect of which is to change the set-up of the suspension, while the car is under parc ferme conditions will be deemed to contravene article 34.5 (which states that cars will start from the pit lane if any work is carried out following qualifying) of the sporting regulations."

The letter goes on to say "any self-levelling damper system is likely to contravene article 3.15 (governing aerodynamic rules) of the technical regulations".

Courtesy of F1 Plantet.....

If RBR were using something “dodgey”, will they now scrap whatever they have been using, despite Horner’s denials?

This therefore, will place Mclaren in a very good position, now that they know what limit to push the “ride height” reg!!!  Also, what are Ferrari up to,…. I wonder?  They are being very quiet aren’t they, and I am very apprehensive as to what THEY are developing, as they sure need it!!!!!!!!!!!
>:D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 07:21:13 PM by markb »

david1275

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2010, 07:34:45 PM »
  Also, what are Ferrari up to,…. I wonder?  They are being very quiet aren’t they, and I am very apprehensive as to what THEY are developing, as they sure need it!!!!!!!!!!![/font][/font][/color] >:D

I refer you Mark to the below links.

http://www.formula1.com/results/team/2010/

http://www.formula1.com/results/driver/2010/

If Ferrari were in better position than they are then they would be in a higher formula. :P :tease: :P

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2010, 08:11:07 PM »
  Also, what are Ferrari up to,…. I wonder?  They are being very quiet aren’t they, and I am very apprehensive as to what THEY are developing, as they sure need it!!!!!!!!!!![/font][/font][/color] >:D

If Ferrari were in better position than they are then they would be in a higher formula. :P :tease: :P

I guess then David they are designing their F 0.5 series car as we speak, just in case. :D  :tease:

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

markb

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2010, 09:21:32 PM »

My Goodness, Ferrari in a "higher formula"....we shall see David, but I'm glad you are falling for the bait ....all the time matey!!!!   :tease:

Offline Chris Borg

You Race to win.

Aryton Senna.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2010, 04:34:35 PM »
I think Red Bull has something the FIA hasn't found yet. Good for them. To maintain their advantage using a non-existent system they would have to protest anyone else or admit they are using something. Where does Parc Ferme end anyway? If they alter the ride height after leaving the pits to go to the grid, is that OK?

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2010, 04:50:48 PM »
Parc Ferme this year is in their own garages with motion sensors, an FIA camera and the car zipped up and sealed.  If they haven't mastered the engineering challenge of ride height, maybe they've figured out a way to fool the FIA's camera into thinking they aren't working away while they are.   :D :D
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2010, 04:52:58 PM »
 :DD :DD :DD

Lonny
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle