collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 386
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Why driver aids are killing F1  (Read 1314 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Why driver aids are killing F1
« on: April 15, 2010, 10:16:28 AM »

I came across this piece about increasing driver involvement in the actual decision making during races, makes a lot of sense to me especially the points about resticted data feed and even cutting pit to car radio communications during the race. I found it pretty interesting, love the vids at the end - a proper fireworks display.   

http://f1.quta.co.uk/why-driver-aids-are-killing-f1-tag-f1

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline stealthhaggis

Re: Why driver aids are killing F1
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 10:30:30 AM »
Just ask Massa with his Smedley aid system! :yahoo:

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 01:36:38 PM »
With as much money as the teams put into making the best car possible, it seems silly to leave all that in the hands of a human being  :tease:

The main problem is keeping F1 at the top of motorsports.  There was a time when an F1 car was a very sophisticated piece of machinery.  Don't get me wrong, it still is, but the technological differences between an F1 car and a Ford Fiesta are mostly in high cost materials, not any genuine innovation.

While making an F1 car more beastly to drive increases the 'sport' aspect, it takes away the technical aspect.  Allow the teams to innovate in other areas, and I'll be happy to watch the driver's aids go.  The teams would rather spend money on a faster engine than traction control, but they're not allowed:  they'll keep innovating where they can.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 04:03:25 PM »
Car Data - I love it, more the merrier.  I think it's quite cool that the team can analyze tiny factors and adjust their strategy accordingly. 

Radios - Absolutely keep them.  As much for the teams, but also to hear the dispair of Massa in the rain  :P

Refuelling - Bring it back, but do it with less people as it's been said before.  I'd be happy with 15sec pit stops and gravity fed fuel done by linebackers.

Tires - Let them use whatever they want whenever they want.  Ban the silly stripes and let us all (and their competitors) guess which compound they are using.

Tire Warmers - Ban them.  Let's see more talent.

Blue Flags - Just a hint to look in your mirrors...no rule to move over.

Aero - Massive re-think to get the wash down to the size of a dishwasher, not a semi-truck.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 08:01:00 PM »
Car Data - I love it, more the merrier.  I think it's quite cool that the team can analyze tiny factors and adjust their strategy accordingly. 

Radios - Absolutely keep them.  As much for the teams, but also to hear the dispair of Massa in the rain  :P

Refuelling - Bring it back, but do it with less people as it's been said before.  I'd be happy with 15sec pit stops and gravity fed fuel done by linebackers.

Tires - Let them use whatever they want whenever they want.  Ban the silly stripes and let us all (and their competitors) guess which compound they are using.

Tire Warmers - Ban them.  Let's see more talent.

Blue Flags - Just a hint to look in your mirrors...no rule to move over.

Aero - Massive re-think to get the wash down to the size of a dishwasher, not a semi-truck.

100% in agreement..especially:

"Blue Flags - Just a hint to look in your mirrors...no rule to move over."

AMEN!!! If you're that fast and you're about to actually lap them, then do it! As long as the car being passed stays within the rules and regs, why do they need to be told to move over?
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

FW14B

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 09:03:39 PM »
Just ask Massa with his Smedley aid system! :yahoo:

I love it, let's ban Smedley for 2011  :yahoo:

I also want to see refuelling return, tyre warmers banned, aero made more basic and an increase in mechanical grip.  I also wouldn't mind seeing turbos come back as has been speculated.  Oh and I agree with Scott about blue flags!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle