collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 551
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Indy 500 goes for F1 style quali shoot out  (Read 4572 times)

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Indy 500 goes for F1 style quali shoot out
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 07:14:41 AM »
 :good: I totally agree. The Chase was begun, at least partly, because, Matt Kenseth won the Sprint Cup with only 1 race win, but about 30 out of 35 top tens. If that's not the way you want your championship won then give more points for a win, not an artificial reshuffle of the points at the end of the season.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 03:18:00 PM »
:good: I totally agree. The Chase was begun, at least partly, because, Matt Kenseth won the Sprint Cup with only 1 race win, but about 30 out of 35 top tens. If that's not the way you want your championship won then give more points for a win, not an artificial reshuffle of the points at the end of the season.

Lonny

NASCAR's scoring system is... odd to say the least.  Points for wins, for leading a lap, for finishing a lap, for finishing a race, for showing up...

I suspect it has to do with baseball and American football... the sports are so full of statistics, NASCAR figured that complicated scoring would appeal.  None of the FIA's 'most points for a win' stuff.

Are there any European sports that collect large stats?  Is anything tracked in soccer/football besides wins and goals?  I have never made an effort to understand cricket, but I assume it has complicated stats like baseball does.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 04:09:22 PM »
In NASCAR, all starters score points (much like T-ball :-[ ). There is a 5 point bonus for leading a lap, and another 5 point bonus for leading the most laps. There used to be a cash award for leading at halfway, but they did away with that.

I think every sport has its own corps of stat-mad anoraks. I remember sitting at the bar in The Slippery Noodle Inn in Indy during USGP week-end a few years ago. Several fellows were sitting there arguing about the chassis numbers of the cars that certain drivers drove in certain races!  :swoon:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle