collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 278
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Watson - Long Beach GP 1983..  (Read 2222 times)

markb

Watson - Long Beach GP 1983..
« on: April 15, 2010, 11:10:59 AM »
According to the BBC Sport website, this race has been voted as the "best comeback" in GP history....John Watson, driving for Mclaren at Long Beach in 1983, starting from 23rd on the Grid......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2010/04/your_classic_grand_prix_race_f.html

:good:

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Watson - Long Beach GP 1983..
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 11:51:24 AM »

Yeah and he did it with a Cosworth engine when the Turbos were getting into their stride and made his teamate Lauda look ordinary, which is no mean feat. Some good dicing all round in that race as well.  :good:

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 12:36:18 PM »
Once again, the dreaded "Not Available in your Area" message.  :'(
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

markb

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 03:44:29 PM »
Sorry mate!

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 03:49:29 PM »
BBC bites!   >:(
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

markb

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 04:38:20 PM »

Not exactly sure why they do that to be honest.. :DntKnw:  No harm in somebody from another country watching videos IMO, after all, it is known as the World wide Web!!!

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 04:45:02 PM »
Bernie writes it into the TV contracts unfortunately.  Too bad he won't let historical video to be shown.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 05:43:54 PM »

Not exactly sure why they do that to be honest.. :DntKnw:  No harm in somebody from another country watching videos IMO, after all, it is known as the World wide Web!!!

Hosting videos costs money.  The BBC is paid for by British Tax Payers.  I'm guessing people might get upset for their tax dollars going to entertain 'The Colonies'.

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 06:40:10 PM »
I doubt that has anything to do with it.  Hosting a GP race live watched by millions costs money.  Hosting a historical video showed to a couple dozen people here and there costs nothing (youtube would do it if Bernie didn't keep meddling and yanking them).

markb

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 06:42:53 PM »
Yes agree with Scott, don't think it's anything to do with the costs, but on the other hand, not sure what the answer is tbo...:DntKnw: :DntKnw:

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 07:25:00 PM »
I doubt that has anything to do with it.  Hosting a GP race live watched by millions costs money.  Hosting a historical video showed to a couple dozen people here and there costs nothing (youtube would do it if Bernie didn't keep meddling and yanking them).

Youtube doesn't use government money, they can do whatever shareholders feel is fair.

The BBC is quite explicit about the costs of hosting video holding them back:  they provide text and audio around the world at no charge.

I don't disagree that the costs are negligible, so I'm going to guess that politics and perception are more important than any real world costs.

david1275

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 09:19:05 PM »

Hosting videos costs money.  The BBC is paid for by British Tax Payers.  I'm guessing people might get upset for their tax dollars going to entertain 'The Colonies'.

I seem to pay an awful lot of that tax stuff, I don't mind if you watch our videos.  :DntKnw:

markb

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 10:09:56 PM »

I seem to pay an awful lot of that tax stuff, I don't mind if you watch our videos.  :DntKnw:

:yahoo: :good: :lazy:

markb

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 05:19:25 PM »
Overseas members can't watch videos from the BBC because....extract I obtained from BBC website:=

I'm outside the UK, why can't I access some clips?

Some clips and highlights packages are not available outside the UK because of rights reasons.

Occasionally - we are able to secure global rights to sports action; but that will be the exception rather than the rule.

Please check our sport-by-sport coverage pages to find out what events we have the rights to broadcast on our TV & radio pages.

If the BBC has secured the rights to broadcast a clip only in the UK, then non-UK users will be unable to access it.

Please be aware that our live embedded video streams, such as live sporting action, are also available in the UK only.

If you are viewing the site from outside the UK, you will be unable to access our live video streams and rights-restricted content and should see a message stating that this media is not available in your territory.

If you are unable to view a clip but do not see the 'territory message, you may wish to check information included in the section:
'I've tried everything and still can't play any clips'

For the pop-up (Windows and Real) player, material is available to UK users in either Real or Windows format and in narrowband or higher quality broadband versions. However, there are sometimes reasons why we cannot always make everything available in all formats:

• The BBC is only able to make video on the pop-up (Real and Windows) player available in narrowband to users outside the UK

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle