collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 584
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: "Lewis Hamilton is a Legend"  (Read 6556 times)

FW14B

Re: "Lewis Hamilton is a Legend"
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 09:30:13 PM »
Great to see you back Johnbull!  Hope all has been well with you.

You're right about F1 in 2010, there are lots of very exciting drivers and I hope they're allowed to just race all out as their instincts tell them to!

Offline Scott

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 09:45:43 PM »
WOW - Welcome back John! 

I don't hold Hammy quite that high, but I will be willing to watch and wait to see what he becomes.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 09:54:08 PM »
Hello again JB, I would'nt call Hammy a legend yet, maybe in a few years he might attain that lofty peak, good to have you back.  :good:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline johnbull

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 09:56:23 PM »
WOW - Welcome back John! 

I don't hold Hammy quite that high, but I will be willing to watch and wait to see what he becomes.

Put it this way. He's 23, 24 years old. He's already won a World Championship, and a fair few GPs.

How many guys can you think of that have done that?

And more importantly he thrills us with his mere driving presence on the track.

In my 48 years of following F1 closely, I can't recall seeing more than a handfull of drivers that have had those sort of statistics, though I will be the first to admit that with a bit more use of the brain he could have won lots more.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Scott

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 08:30:58 AM »
His statistics are remarkable, but I wouldn't call him a legend based on those (yet).  Otherwise we'd have to call Schumacher one, which I'm inclined to, but I think there are a few members who wouldn't agree. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 09:25:54 AM »

Lewis certainly has the potential to become a legend however he is not a master yet. Other people here have suggested he needs to become more complete in his approach to racing and I agree with that  God forbid though on his learning curve to become a legendary multi champion he loses his flair for combative and exiciting racing altogether, we the spectators would be the losers.

For me his main problem is the huge expectation constantly on his shoulders, most other youngsters have to work their way through from a lower team before they get the chance at the WDC in a top team. Lewis now also seems to lack the older wiser confidante, Jim Clark had colin, Jackie had Ken even Schumi had Flavio and then Ross & Jean, it's time he got a manager who will devote themselves to him - a bit like the lady behind Petrov.  He has never really had a chance to be out of the spotlight and that can take a toll. I hope Lewis is taking notice as Jenson demonstrates to him that there is another way other than his usual balls out, but risky, charging style to win races.

Even though I am a real Jenson fan I still feel that Lewis, providing he continues to learn, is more likely to win more WDCs than Jens over the next five years; and that's not just an age thing. Ah but maybe not this year. ;)

Wow John, thanks for such an enlightening and perceptive post.

I now know lewis a bit better thanks to your piece.

You're a legend mate.
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Monty

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 11:43:45 AM »
A 'legend' is a story or a myth. To be 'legendary' someone or something has to be worthy of people telling stories.
I think Hamilton is already a legendary racer. Not a great driver, not a perfect person but a great racer. On this forum alone people have found him to be sufficiently noteworthy to discuss his overtaking (22 competitive overtakes this season according to Martin Brundle).
Others have become legends because of the number of race wins or championships but people like Stirling Moss, Graham Hill, etc. are legends without huge success.
Michael Schumacher is a legend because of his cheating and dirty tactics (hadn't mentioned that for several; posts ;))

Whereas I am more of a leg-end than a legend.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 12:04:54 PM »
Good to have you back, JB! We've missed you.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline johnbull

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2010, 09:28:35 PM »

Thanks Cossie.  I was very glad to see that both the standard of the general discussion and that of the Pit Babes has certainly not deteriorated in my absence.  :yahoo:
Joe M. Anastasi.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 10:02:12 PM »

Thanks Cossie.  I was very glad to see that both the standard of the general discussion and that of the Pit Babes has certainly not deteriorated in my absence.  :yahoo:

that may be quite true JB but now you are back the Forum will certainly improve.

welcome again JB, we missed your input mate

btw, any news of your own racing exploits - how is your boy doing?
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline johnbull

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2010, 10:18:53 PM »

that may be quite true JB but now you are back the Forum will certainly improve.

welcome again JB, we missed your input mate

btw, any news of your own racing exploits - how is your boy doing?

[/quote]

We had a good 2009 season with the new car. It got better as the season progressed and he ended up circuit champion in his class in Sicily.

We're off again tomorrow week starting off the new Italian season, this time in the 2000 class since we have supercharged the engine. Results on local hill climbs to date have been very encouraging. Let's hope it stays in one piece.

I'll keep you all posted in the right place in this forum.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.
Joe M. Anastasi.
www.johnbullmalta.com

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle