collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 364
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Jackie Stewart - "Hamilton better racer than Button..."  (Read 1320 times)

markb

Jackie Stewart - "Hamilton better racer than Button..."
« on: April 30, 2010, 04:37:01 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/apr/29/lewis-hamilton-jenson-button-mclaren

Get set, ready, debate... :good:

I believe LH is a better racer by miles....but then, Button is a better "strategist, and has a calmer approach, but I still prefer Lewis Hamilton for pure excitement and entertainment.... :good:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 04:50:04 PM by markb »

Offline Jericoke

Re: Jackie Stewart - "Hamilton better racer than Button..."
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 05:13:20 PM »
A lot of people in F1 think that 'best driver', 'best racer', 'winner' and 'champion' are interchangeable.  In one season, it could easily be 4 different drivers.  That's the nature of the sport, and the very basis of debate.

A champion doesn't have to be the best racer, or the best driver, or even the best winner:  he just needs to be someone who can consistently be in the right place at the right time.

Obviously being the best driver helps, or the best racer, and certainly being a winner helps a lot.

I would rather see Hamilton beat Button, but I think that Button has proven how important the right car/team is in F1.  I can't imagine his skills have grown that much since 2008 (although it's possible).  Now he's in the right car, and his skills are there for all to see.  Hamilton was one of the lucky few to get into the best (or at least top) car on day one of his career.

Button has veteran knowledge, the advantage of having worked with some of the best minds in F1.  He's proving that can be very important.  Hamilton would be wise to move teams, to learn from others, not just McLaren (not that McLaren is a bad place to learn, but why not spend a year with Patrick Head or Ross Brawn and come back?)

When all is said and done, there's no reason why Hamilton's numbers won't exceed Button's.  However, in the world of what if, there's no way to know what Button could have been with the right car from day one.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 06:26:38 PM »
Was Prost better than Senna its a debate that could go on and on as so with Button v Hamilton I think the bigger surprise is that Hamilton has not blown Button away.

I'm sure there are many other team mates who the same debate can be used for.
Its been a long time since the last race I'm have to have therapy!! :crazy:
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

markb

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 09:38:01 AM »
http://www.espn.co.uk/golf/sport/story/20182.html

Both Jackie Stewart and Damon Hill have been v.impressed with Button's performance in the opening races.

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 09:43:26 AM »
...with all respect to Sir Jackie Stewart, lewis may be the better racer but if he was a better driver HAMILTON would have two WDC's not just one; he and McLAREN blew it in China thereby letting kimi RAIKKONEN back into the WDC race which he duly won.

...and you have to say his win over MASSA for his only WDC was nothing but an almighty fluke

...and frankly I am still unconvinced about HAMILTON as he is very fragile under pressure and panics too easily; and as Jeri has already posted having the best car from day one certainly helps.

....I will not be surprised if lewis does beat jenson by the end of the year but equally will not be shocked if jenson does beat him to the wire

...to me the biggest variable is not their respective abilities but how they are treated by the McLAREN team itself; they squeezed ALONSO out [who, in my opinion, is clearly superior to both of them] and I'm afraid they may do that to jenson

...perhaps my worries are unfounded as they are both Englishmen and do not go around bagging and spying on the team like Alonso did, and ron DENNIS has removed himself from direct supervision of the team while he concentrates on producing the next wave of fabulous super cars.
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

markb

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 03:43:31 PM »
Hamilton is, what 23/24?  He's not done that bad so far.  As you rightly pointed out Sennaman, he lost out on his first WDC due to a combination of his immaturity, and team c*ck-ups.  Not sure if his WDC was a fluke tbo.  I wonder what people would have said if Massa won it by one point?

I suppose Sennaman, we shall have to wait to see who wins the Mclaren battle.  Button (who l like immensely) is aged 30 and has quite a bit of experience, whereas Hamilton, is only 24 and is learning all the time.  Only TIME will tell how successful he will be, but "watch this space".

I believe Mclaren will not have any worries handling Button and Hamilton, given their past experience handling Prost and Senna.  Mclaren have shown us that a driver, however successful, is NOT bigger than the team, e.g. Mr.Alonso, who wanted No.1 status/treatment from day one.  I hope you are wrong, when you say that they will squeeze Button out. :good:

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 04:41:41 PM »
Hamilton is, what 23/24?  He's not done that bad so far.  As you rightly pointed out Sennaman, he lost out on his first WDC due to a combination of his immaturity, and team c*ck-ups.  Not sure if his WDC was a fluke tbo.  I wonder what people would have said if Massa won it by one point?

I suppose Sennaman, we shall have to wait to see who wins the Mclaren battle.  Button (who l like immensely) is aged 30 and has quite a bit of experience, whereas Hamilton, is only 24 and is learning all the time.  Only TIME will tell how successful he will be, but "watch this space".

I believe Mclaren will not have any worries handling Button and Hamilton, given their past experience handling Prost and Senna.  Mclaren have shown us that a driver, however successful, is NOT bigger than the team, e.g. Mr.Alonso, who wanted No.1 status/treatment from day one.  I hope you are wrong, when you say that they will squeeze Button out. :good:

thanks for your good arguments Mark, and I do hope both guys get a fair shake at the WDC and McLAREN goes on to take out the WCC too.
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle