collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 378
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Scumacher branded over-rated by F1 legend.  (Read 9933 times)

Offline Chris Borg

You Race to win.

Aryton Senna.

Offline Jericoke

Re: Scumacher branded over-rated by F1 legend.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 11:25:22 PM »
I'm not  a fan of Michael Schumacher, but I'm not lining up to see him fall flat on his face.

There is more to being a champion than being the fastest driver.  Being on the right team at the right time goes a long way.  Working with the team helps a lot too.

7 championships isn't a fluke.

1 might be luck.  2 might be down to pure skill.  7 means there's something special there.

As for suggestions that the grid is better now than it was in Micheal's days, consider drivers he garnered a championship over:
Damon Hill
Jacques Villeneuve
Mika Häkkinen
Fernando Alonso
Kimi Räikkönen
Jenson Button
Alain Prost

Not to mention:
David Coulthard
Rubens Barrichello
Gerhard Berger
Juan Pablo Montoya

If Michael was overrated, then what were these guys?

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 06:16:57 AM »
thanks Jeri for your telling counter-point to an overly sensational article.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 02:42:19 AM by SennaMan »
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 07:34:38 AM »
I must say I agree with Sir Sterling. MS got the right people on a team with proper financing and then tested relentlessly. His is a very good driver, but the 7 championships are the result of all the stars and planets aligning for him. And on at least one occasion, he "won" a title by deliberately crashing into Damon Hill after MS made an error that took him out of the race. Not the greatest ever, despite his titles and records.

Lonny
Lonny

Williamsfan

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 08:53:49 AM »
I think Sir Sterling is really wrong here.  Schumacher had to do a lot of work to get the dream team together at Ferrari.  You do not win 7 titles by being overrated.  He had luck, he cheated, but he was undoubtedly one of the best drivers to have ever graced F1.  As Jeri points out, he did have to face a lot of good cars and drivers during his career, although I'd say he never beat Alonso when Fernando was in comparable machinery. 

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 09:00:39 AM »
I'm not  a fan of Michael Schumacher, but I'm not lining up to see him fall flat on his face.

There is more to being a champion than being the fastest driver.  Being on the right team at the right time goes a long way.  Working with the team helps a lot too.

1 might be luck.  2 might be down to pure skill.  7 means there's something special there.

As for suggestions that the grid is better now than it was in Michael's days, consider drivers he garnered a championship over:
Damon Hill
Jacques Villeneuve
Mika Häkkinen
Fernando Alonso
Kimi Räikkönen
Jenson Button
Alain Prost

Not to mention:
David Coulthard
Rubens Barrichello
Gerhard Berger
Juan Pablo Montoya

Mostly has beens???  :DntKnw:  :P

Seriously though, Schumacher may have been against some good drivers but the cars he was up against, bar maybe 2 teams a season (and then only 1 driver from those 2 teams), were either unreliable or in the main inconsistent. I think thats one way we are very lucky these days, in that we have so many teams with a real chance of winning and so many good drivers in fast reasonably reliable cars! Having said that, I do not agree that Schumacher is overrated. You don't win a title, never mind 7, without having some serious talent. The sod!

Jugirl

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 09:05:42 AM »
As williams fan said "As Jeri points out, he did have to face a lot of good cars and drivers during his career, although I'd say he never beat Alonso when Fernando was in comparable machinery"

I totally agree :D He couldnt beat Fernando in 2005 and 2006 and the cars were equal, he even tried to resort to cheating at Monaco 2006 when he parked his car very badly in qualifying hehe.

But as much as i dont like him he is one of the best ( Behind Fernando ;) ) hehe

Williamsfan

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 09:07:19 AM »

As for suggestions that the grid is better now than it was in Michael's days, consider drivers he garnered a championship over:
Damon Hill
Jacques Villeneuve
Mika Häkkinen
Fernando Alonso
Kimi Räikkönen
Jenson Button
Alain Prost

Not to mention:
David Coulthard
Rubens Barrichello
Gerhard Berger
Juan Pablo Montoya

Mostly has beens???  :DntKnw:  :P

Seriously though, Schumacher may have been against some good drivers but the cars he was up against, bar maybe 2 teams a season (and then only 1 driver from those 2 teams), were either unreliable or in the main inconsistent. I think thats one way we are very lucky these days, in that we have so many teams with a real chance of winning and so many good drivers in fast reasonably reliable cars! Having said that, I do not agree that Schumacher is overrated. You don't win a title, never mind 7, without having some serious talent. The sod!

You're not bitter :D

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 09:13:00 AM »
Me? Totally!  :D Never been able to forgive him for '94!  >:( :'(

Williamsfan

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 09:55:53 AM »
Williams would have a few more titles, if it wasn't for that meddling Schumacher  :D  So I too am bitter!

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 11:16:03 AM »
Schumacher might have another title or two if he hadn't been such an idiot and been excluded for points and a season for being bad.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

markb

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 11:23:29 AM »
Quote from Jeri..."Being in the right team at the right time goes a long way.  Working with the team helps a lot too"

Need we comment any further? He WAS in the RIGHT team, 'cause Ferrari, thanks to Brawn and Co, dominated F1 for 5 years, no other team could touch them, regardless of who the drivers were in that era, they simply couldn't match Ferrari and, I for one, only used to watch a handful of gp's every season because it became so boring! :'(

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 03:15:55 PM by markb »

Offline judy

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 01:45:49 PM »
Jugirl mentioned that he couldn't beat Alonso in a comparable car and that clearly show that Schumi is not so special after all.

I have not followed F1 yet when Schumi dominate the F1 before 2005 but I can imagine how boring F1 was at that era when everything was so predictable, as mentioned by markb. I am sure Schumi dominated F1 at that time mainly because all the development in Ferrari during that era was solely focussed on his driving style. Furthermore, Ferrari was able to develop their car to perfection during that era due to the special testing session in their own circuit, where they tested much more km than any other teams.

In recent years, Ferrari could no longer dominate after the ban on in-season testing. I am not in favour of the total ban of in-season testing but this has proven the point that Ferrari or Schumi are not so special or unbeatable after all. Without the special testing session, Schumi is not able to beat Nico after 4 races. The Merc car is also new to Rosberg, therefore the situation does not favour either Schumi or Rosberg. Let's see if there is any improvement in Schumi 's performance after another 3 or 4 races.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 04:09:03 PM »
Exactly. MS is a very hard worker and certainly talented, but not one of the best.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 04:23:14 PM »
Schumacher might have another title or two if he hadn't been such an idiot and been excluded for points and a season for being bad.

He was only excluded after he'd already lost the WDC. He was also still allowed to count the races from that season for his personal stats.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle