collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 466
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: FIA aims to boost women in motorsport  (Read 2996 times)

Offline Scott

FIA aims to boost women in motorsport
« on: April 28, 2010, 07:10:27 PM »
Yeah, more Grid Girls  ;)  (Just kidding gals!).

I'm actually surprised that there aren't more woman engineers and management types in F1.  Certainly in real life they make up a larger proportion than is apparent in F1.  Starting from scratch as a driver is a much higher mountain to climb, but maybe one day.

ESPNF1:

The FIA has set up a new commission aimed at encouraging the "full participation of women in all aspects of motor sport".

The Women & Motor Sport Commission (WMC) held its first meeting on April 26 under the presidency of former world rally-winning driver Michèle Mouton.

"Women already have their place in motor sport," Mouton said. "They have proved it. But for many years people have asked me why there have been no women following in my footsteps. I really hope the commission can help answer that question and that we can attract and support women in all areas of our sport."

"The FIA's membership around the world comprises men and women," FIA president Jean Todt explained. "Each has an identical part to play in sport. Like many international federations, we will support, promote and help advance the participation of women in motor sport to ensure equal opportunities at all levels."

The WMC's aims include putting in place strategies and policies that will promote education and training, and put into practice actions and events that will strengthen the participation of women in all areas of motor sport.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

Re: FIA aims to boost women in motorsport
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 09:16:32 PM »
Oh god, here we go, PC in F1, it should'nt matter on the gender, all that should matter is if your good enough.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 06:18:55 AM »
Oh god, here we go, PC in F1, it should'nt matter on the gender, all that should matter is if your good enough.

exactly Ian, and how many men are in netball teams.  :tease:
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 07:24:25 AM »
Ability should be the only thing that matters, but if that was true, I would expect to see more women on the teams. And I think you guys may have to duck if we hear from Jeri or Alia on this subject!

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 02:12:31 PM »

Right and wrong.

Right:  there's not as many qualified women in motosport.

Wrong:  because men in motorsport actively discourage the participation of women.  They think that motosports is a 'guy thing', and don't want women ruining their fun.  The FIA would be right to punish this behaviour.

If everyone involved in motorsports had your attitude Ian - that gender doesn't matter - there would be far more women involved in all formulae.

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 03:35:42 PM »
Since college I've had only women bosses (with the exception of a gay couple), and then I got married and once again, my boss is a woman.   ;)

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 09:53:02 AM »
Since college I've had only women bosses (with the exception of a gay couple), and then I got married and once again, my boss is a woman.   ;)

:DD...all I can say Scott is: "Welcome to the real world!"

......seriously though, were they OK as bosses?
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 10:11:58 AM »
Without exception fantastic.  No ego's, shoulder chips or politics that come with the other gender (although I'm quite a reasonable boss as well). 

Say what you will, but I'd rather have women running the world than men.
 :good:

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 02:54:49 PM »
Without exception fantastic.  No ego's, shoulder chips or politics that come with the other gender (although I'm quite a reasonable boss as well). 

Say what you will, but I'd rather have women running the world than men.
 :good:

I once read that politics should be like a family... lead by both a 'father' and a 'mother'.  (This was about US politics, and meant the stereotypical stern bread winning dad, and caring stay at home mom.)  The idea being that mom is in charge, she looks out for everyone, keeps the peace, keeps everyone healthy fed and dry.  At the same time, the father is ensuring there is a roof over the head, that difficult decisions are made, and that the heavy lifting that no one wants to do gets done, and if there is ever a difference of opinion, the father is the final say so, because he would see the bigger picture.

So the world needs to be run by men and women in equality, as you're more likely to get this kind of arrangement.  Imagine, for example, if Flavio was the 'dad' at Renault, and that Pat Symonds was the 'mom' at Renault.  Flavio might agree to the crashgate plan, but Symonds would be horrified to see someone he's responsible for put at risk.  Instead, they were both 'dads', and made an unbalanced decision.

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 07:14:08 PM »
Yeeesh, and I was trying to suck up to you, Jeri!   :D  ;)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 10:31:48 AM »
  Imagine, for example, if Flavio was the 'dad' at Renault, and that Pat Symonds was the 'mom' at Renault.  Flavio might agree to the crashgate plan, but Symonds would be horrified to see someone he's responsible for put at risk.  Instead, they were both 'dads', and made an unbalanced decision.

Ah but suppose Dad or Mum forgot to tell the other about a decision they made, at least until well after the event or possibly not until a legal inquiry, don't we still get an unbalanced decision? :tease:

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle