collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 338
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Rosberg: Slow times just set-up error  (Read 10438 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Rosberg: Slow times just set-up error
« on: May 07, 2010, 07:29:42 PM »

Do we give Nico the benefit of the doubt or is he very cleverly taking the heat off himself after MS outgunned him in practice? I think he is allowed one or two off races so I'll go along with him until after Turkey, but you never know he may bounce back this weekend in Quali.

Nico Rosberg says his pace in free practice at Barcelona was limited by a set-up miscue - and not because Mercedes' updates were inadequate, or suited team-mate Michael Schumacher better.

Having been quicker than Schumacher for most of the season so far, Rosberg was three places and 0.6s down on his compatriot this afternoon in Spain.
Although Mercedes had introduced major upgrades for this weekend, Rosberg insisted his relative lack of pace was a one-off set-up error rather than the start of a trend.

"For me it was a difficult day, I went the wrong way on the set-up just trying something in a different direction, so we need to come back on that and try and get going tomorrow," he said.

"With the new parts that arrived I just tried something big to see if that might be a good direction, something that we hadn't tried this year yet, and it was a big step and looking at it it was probably the wrong direction.

"The thing is that when you try something today, you're so limited on tyres, you try something and then the tyres have gone off in the meantime, so you go out there and it's a disaster.

"You come back and say 'okay, that's not the right way' when in fact it was the right way, it's just the tyres that were bad. I think that's what confused me today and made me go wrong. I was completely out of position today, not where I was supposed to be and just very far away.

"I'm 1.3s from Red Bull, which is miles away - last race it was 0.4s. I just need to get everything set up properly tonight, work some long hours, get everything back in the right direction."

Rosberg denied that the revised Mercedes suited Schumacher better."I think it's two things: one is that he's doing very well today, and the second is that we're very different on the set-up," he said.

"At the moment we have very similar driving styles, so whatever benefits him benefits me too. He did a really good job today, so he's definitely back on form, that's for sure, so it's going to be challenging to beat him."

He also admitted that Red Bull's pace in the afternoon had been unnerving for its rivals.
"It definitely was very fast, it was pretty impressive so we really need to put a question mark on whether we've closed on them or not," Rosberg conceded. "That was our target, and I'm not so sure after today."

ITV-f1.com, Today

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

Re: Rosberg: Slow times just set-up error
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 03:16:38 AM »
That's what practise is for.

Nothing counts until the red lights come on at quali

Williamsfan

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 08:20:20 AM »
You cannot really tell anything right now, as has been said.  Judge him after this weekend to see if he was finally outpaced by Schumacher.  Then wait a few more races to see if it is a permanent thing!

markb

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 08:35:19 AM »
That's what practise is for.

Nothing counts until the red lights come on at quali

.....and on race-day. :good:

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 10:46:46 AM »

I am very skeptical about this "....just a wrong set up thing..." from nico ROSBERG as being dictated PR spin from the team.

He has been outgunning MS all year and all of a sudden with a longer chassis obviously designed to suit Herr Majesty, nico finds himself disadvantaged.

It is almost like Schumacher has recreated his starring role at FERRARI, also with ross BRAWN as team manager

"We love ya driving fast dear nico as long as ya don't beat the Great One," seems to be the call

looks like the Germans, in this case Mercedes-Benz, join the Chinese in the need to save a little "face".

...and all nico can really do is put on a "brave face."

...methinks something "stinks".....  >:(  >:D  :stop:
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Ian

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 10:52:21 AM »
I don't suppose it's anything to do with the fact that it would take Michael 4 or 5 races to get back up to speed.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline judy

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 01:44:50 PM »
"We love ya driving fast dear nico as long as ya don't beat the Great One," seems to be the call

looks like the Germans, in this case Mercedes-Benz, join the Chinese in the need to save a little "face".

...and all nico can really do is put on a "brave face."

I don't see any reason why Nico should "slow down" or stay one step behind Schumi, just to let Schumi "save his face". Who cares about him winning the title 7 times in the past. This is 2010 and I think Nico should put up his maximum performance. However if Merc is going to design a car that is perfect for only Schumi at the expense of Rosberg, I think they are making a big mistake by living by the history book.

Nico is a very talented driver and Ross Brawn should not ignore this fact. I am sure Merc will stand to loose a talented driver if they try to establish the No. 1 and No. 2 driver, based on the concept in Ferrari during the Schumi 's era.  :nono:

Offline judy

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 02:18:18 PM »
I think Nico is making a big mistake in his career if he give in to "pressure" to play the supporting role in Merc and step aside to let Schumi shine. I am sure other front runner drivers like Vettel, Button, Hamilton and Alonso will show Schumi that his era is over!!!

markb

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 02:32:01 PM »
Sennaman quote above : "and all nico can really do is put on a "brave face."

...methinks something "stinks"..

Methinks you are right Sennaman!  Mercedes change the car to suit Herr Schu, and all of a sudden, the roles are now reversed e.g. Schu = P6, Rosberg = P8 ????

I am now thinking of do a "block" Qualy prediction of Webber & Vettel for the rest of the season as the Red Bulls seem unstoppable, at least in qualy only me hopes! :DntKnw:

Offline Dare

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 02:44:45 PM »
What is so surprising about a 7 time
World Champion beating his team mate in qualifying
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 03:18:25 PM »
What is so surprising about a 7 time
World Champion beating his team mate in qualifying

ANSWER:

when he gets a car tailor made to his specifications [the one with a longer wheel-base so michael can get earlier turn in and hang his rear wheels out or let them be looser, which is his preference and has been his driving style throughout his entire career] and all of a sudden beats his team mate in qualifying, for the first time this season

as I said in my earlier posting Mercedes-Benz have made a 'political' decision to justify their 60 million investment in MS and nico just has to wear it

...he should demand he has the earlier SWB car which obviously suits his driving style much better....

for the reasons given above I don't think nico will get his wish and I detect team orders to repeat the PR bullshit that whatever suits MS suits him too......

utter pigs codswallop.......they have now consigned nico to be another support driver for this ruthless and flawed former champion

My new wish is for the other top drivers continue to carve MS up big time and hasten his retirement....
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline judy

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 05:37:16 PM »
My new wish is for the other top drivers continue to carve MS up big time and hasten his retirement....

I wish for that too!!! I am most disappointed at the way Nico is being treated after he achieved 2 podiums for Merc. I am sure about the team orders and Nico being relegated to the role of second driver. It is obvious that both Schumi and Ross Brawn are living in the past and are trying to re-create the Schumi 's era in Ferrari.

I am sure the other front-runner drivers will out-perform Schumi and show him that his F1 days are over.

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
I don't think there are any team orders...yet.  It would be completely stupid of him to finish a few hundredths behind Schumi in Qualifying, as well as being near impossible to plan.

I do however agree that he has been surely given #2 status, with the new rebuild longer wheelbase.  It's a shame they just don't let him drive the short version for the season and see who does what.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 05:58:05 PM »
I don't think there are any team orders...yet.  It would be completely stupid of him to finish a few hundredths behind Schumi in Qualifying, as well as being near impossible to plan.

I do however agree that he has been surely given #2 status, with the new rebuild longer wheelbase.  It's a shame they just don't let him drive the short version for the season and see who does what.

I agree, if two designs suit two drivers, why not?

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 06:02:42 PM »
Exactly - why bin a car that runs just fine?  Give the old chassis to Rosberg and just throw on the wing and tech developments as they are made for Schumi's car.  As long as he doesn't wreck the ones they already have built (I imagine 3-4), he'd have the car all season.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle