collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 350
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Rosberg: Slow times just set-up error  (Read 10420 times)

Offline Canada Darrell™

Re: Rosberg: Slow times just set-up error
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 07:52:33 PM »
My new wish is for the other top drivers continue to carve MS up big time and hasten his retirement....

It is obvious that both Schumi and Ross Brawn are living in the past and are trying to re-create the Schumi 's era in Ferrari.

Though I don't agree with the way you've worded this I have to ask myself..."so what?" You have two key players in a dynasty attempting to find the right combination to produce a drivers champion and a constructors title.

If I had the key players that when tweaked properly is a veritable license to print money would I try to do it? You betcha!  :good:

Was I a MS fan when he was a driver? Not for the most part but towards the end of his career (part 1) I gave in and had to admit to myself that he was a step above the talent level at the time. Love him or hate him you'd at least have to agree with that. I just hope and wonder if a 40-something-year-old with a bazillion dollars in the bank is capable of driving on the edge to do it!
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Ian

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 08:10:15 PM »
My God, the BIGOTRY on here is making me sick, some of you are sounding like football supporters, you certainly are'nt F1 fans.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline judy

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 08:33:20 PM »
I do however agree that he has been surely given #2 status, with the new rebuild longer wheelbase.  It's a shame they just don't let him drive the short version for the season and see who does what.

In the first place, can a team run 2 cars with different chassis / design simultaneously in one race. Has any team done this before?

I know even if the F1 rules allow this, Merc would not do it. Their main objective is to create a situation where Schumi is the clear number 1 driver, which I think is most silly. Why prevent Rosberg from displaying his full potential and winning races, just because Schumi demands to be the clear number 1 driver in Merc. Ar the end of the day, Rosberg will not be able to provide the number of points that he is capable of achieving with a car that suite his driving style and Merc will be behind other front runners team in constructors point.

In recent years, it is clear that a team will not be able to win the constructors championship using the approach of a clear number 1, with the other driver playing supporting roles. This is clearly an outdated approach that is no longer relevant in recent years and it is obvious that both Schumi and Ross Brawn are living in the past. I am sure Nico will be joining another team next season if he is forced to play the supporting role to Schumi and neither will Heidfeld be interested in the race seat.  :nono:

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 10:12:06 PM »
My God, the BIGOTRY on here is making me sick, some of you are sounding like football supporters, you certainly are'nt F1 fans.

If it was my post that has offended you, I apologise.

Darrell

Offline Ian

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2010, 10:41:13 PM »
CD, you ain't offended me mate, no way.  :good:

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2010, 12:16:43 AM »

In the first place, can a team run 2 cars with different chassis / design simultaneously in one race. Has any team done this before?

The longer wheelbase Merc is not a different chassis they have simply moved the front wheels forward amongst other changes, new rules mean that once the chassis has been homologated for the season it can't be changed without special permission from the FIA.

Plenty of teams over the years have run different spec cars for each driver, in fact it's quite normal for teams to introduce new spec on one car and catch up in one or more races time for the second.

The big problem with keeping the old spec car for one member of a team is the requirement of parallel development which will stretch resources. Nico himself may already know that this new version of the car is quicker than the old one so opting for the old spec may be out of the question.  Remember the other teams will not have stood still and if Merc don't keep up they will end up in midfield or worse.

Schumacher is renowned for being able to describe accurately what changes he needs  to a car to enable him to do faster lap times, not all drivers are able to guide the development so well and have to rely more heavily on others to get the car right. Nico still has to win a race, he may well go on to win many, in the meantime any designer worth his salt will listen very carefully to a multi world champion especially if he is able to show how to add speed to the car. You don't become a seven times WDC, in two different teams, just because someone gives you number one status.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline judy

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2010, 06:56:00 AM »
The big problem with keeping the old spec car for one member of a team is the requirement of parallel development which will stretch resources. Nico himself may already know that this new version of the car is quicker than the old one so opting for the old spec may be out of the question.  Remember the other teams will not have stood still and if Merc don't keep up they will end up in midfield or worse.

The new version is definately not a quicker car if it does not suit Nico 's driving style. It is a car specially designed to suit only Schumi 's driving. By switching to a new version that suit only Schumi, Merc is only making decision that will lead them to midfield. Nico will definately not scoring many points from now onwards. Schumi may be performing better than the first 4 races but other front-runner drivers from Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari will definately outperform him. At the end of the day, it is a loose loose situation for Merc.

This is clearly a wrong decision by Ross Brawn, probably he does not realize that F1 today is not what it was like during the Schumi's era. Any team would definately need 2 competitive drivers now to stay as front-runners for the constructors title. Sadly Ross Brawn and Schumi are living in the past by trying to re-create the past glories in Ferrari.  :nono:

Williamsfan

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2010, 08:24:38 AM »
Nico is supposed to be one of the smarter and more intellectual drivers on the grid.  Much has been made of this and it was one thing that Williams kept banging on about during his time with the team.  However he is not great at developing a car, something else shown by his time at Williams.  What is to say he did not have input into the new parts on the Mercedes, but he cannot fully handle the things he thought might work?  If Nico has the talent he is alleged to have (but has not consistently shown) then he will work out quickly how to work with the Mercedes developments and continue to beat Schumacher. 

But of course the team will listen to Schumacher, he is a legend however much people may try to hide behind his number one status at Ferrari.  He worked hard to get that team together and working in one direction.   How about we appreciate there is a living F1 legend back in the sport.  I am loathed to support him but I think the animosity towards him is a bit OTT.

Offline Ian

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2010, 09:18:35 AM »
Well put Williamsfan, I never Kimi, but I would'nt have wanted to see him carved out of races and forced to retire.

markb

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2010, 09:52:31 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8670236.stm

Another article courtesy of BBC Sport on Rosberg's and Schu's thoughts on their new upgrade/s...one thing is for sure, they are not happy bunnies!!!!!

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2010, 10:47:35 PM »

Another article courtesy of BBC Sport on Rosberg's and Schu's thoughts on their new upgrade/s...one thing is for sure, they are not happy bunnies!!!!!

This quote from the article pretty much sums it up for me Judy:

Rosberg, who is defending second in the championship behind McLaren's Jenson Button, admitted Mercedes had improved the car in absolute terms, but said he was concerned that Mercedes had slipped back in comparison to the other top teams, Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari.

If Rosberg is of your opinion then he's not saying so publicly. I'm not sure how one could assume that Merc is developing soley towards Schumi's style when he (Rosberg) himself says the car is improved. Maybe he's a little slower to adapt to a quicker car?  :tease:

markb

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2010, 09:34:23 AM »

This quote from the article pretty much sums it up for me Judy:

Rosberg, who is defending second in the championship behind McLaren's Jenson Button, admitted Mercedes had improved the car in absolute terms, but said he was concerned that Mercedes had slipped back in comparison to the other top teams, Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari.

If Rosberg is of your opinion then he's not saying so publicly. I'm not sure how one could assume that Merc is developing soley towards Schumi's style when he (Rosberg) himself says the car is improved. Maybe he's a little slower to adapt to a quicker car?  :tease:
...Or, maybe he is being ultra-diplomatic?.. :DntKnw:

Offline Monty

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2010, 12:11:09 PM »
I guess Rosberg knew he would be number 2 as soon as Schumacher signed for Mercedes. Niko imediately became the worst paid of the two drivers so that pretty much tells you where he was in the pecking order.
The team have actually admitted that the car was altered to suit Schumacher's driving style. Niko has done a great job of being seen to say the right things but body language said he was very unhappy.
Ironically, what Mercedes have done is make a car that is now slower for Niko and still slow for Schumacher resulting in two pathetic race showings. And before some of you start to build up Michael's finishing position let's be clear; he was holding up most of the cars behind him.  He was gifted two positions by Maclaren (Button's pit-stop and Hamilton's broken wheel) and he was painfully slow but just kept positioning the car so nobody could overtake.
Everybody on this forum knows my views about Schumacher. He is a cheat and the sport was better when he left. Mercedes obviously think he has enough Marketing clout to be worth upsetting a talented young driver but to actually damage your best drivers chances to go for the Championship by making an inferior car seems to be complete madness.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 12:43:57 PM by monty »

Offline Scott

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2010, 12:32:20 PM »
Personal feelings aside, that's a good point Monty...there definately was a Schumacher train behind him.  Had those that could pass him, got past him, he probably would have finished 7th or worse.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Jericoke

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2010, 01:50:58 PM »
I guess Rosberg knew he would be number 2 as soon as Schumacher signed for Mercedes. Niko imediately became the worst paid of the two drivers so that pretty much tells you where he was in the pecking order.
The team have actually admitted that the car was altered to suit Schumacher's driving style. Niko has done a great job of being seen to say the right things but body language said he was very unhappy.

Nico needs a better agent/manager.

Ironically, what Mercedes have done is make a car that is now slower for Niko and still slow for Schumacher resulting in two pathetic race showings. And before some of you start to build up Michael's finishing position let's be clear; he was holding up most of the cars behind him.  He was gifted two positions by Maclaren (Button's pit-stop and Hamilton's broken wheel) and he was painfully slow but just kept positioning the car so nobody could overtake.

Mercedes earned the position.  They managed to execute a pit stop pass in a season where refueling bans were supposed to eliminate such things, and then building a car more reliable than Hamilton's.  Don't ascribe Michael powers he doesn't have!

As for the lack of overtaking... this isn't a drag race, it's a road race.  Getting around people has always been the name of the sport.  Defending against a pass is just as crucial a skill as executing one.  It just so happens that the rules this year make it easier to be the defender:  the best drivers are those who can put a slow car in front of a fast one.

Everybody on this forum knows my views about Schumacher. He is a cheat and the sport was better when he left. Mercedes obviously think he has enough Marketing clout to be worth upsetting a talented young driver but to actually damage your best drivers chances to go for the Championship by making an inferior car seems to be complete madness.

I don't think that Mercedes set out to make an inferior car.  You've got to win with what you've got.  I won't argue over who is the most talented driver on Mercedes, but winning takes more than talent.  Rosberg, alas, needs to prove he has more.  (I believe he does, but look how long it took drivers like Button or Massa to prove their overall abilities in F1)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle