collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 364
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Rosberg: Slow times just set-up error  (Read 10434 times)

Offline Monty

Re: Rosberg: Slow times just set-up error
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2010, 02:35:43 PM »
Mercedes earned the position.  They managed to execute a pit stop pass in a season where refueling bans were supposed to eliminate such things, and then building a car more reliable than Hamilton's.  Don't ascribe Michael powers he doesn't have!

As for the lack of overtaking... this isn't a drag race, it's a road race.  Getting around people has always been the name of the sport.  Defending against a pass is just as crucial a skill as executing one.  It just so happens that the rules this year make it easier to be the defender:  the best drivers are those who can put a slow car in front of a fast one.

Jeri
I normally agree with your points of view but on this occassion I will make an exception.
Mercedes definitely did not earn this, they lucked in. Button had a display failure and a dragging clutch which made his pit stop a bit longer than it should have been.
Hamilton picked up some debris which damaged a hub (that is the last report I saw). So Mercedes did nothing other than produce a car that had poor race pace. In other series, when a car is clearly slower than the cars behind they get blue flagged. In F1 at the moment it seems acceptable to just stay in the way. This isn't 'racing' and it is incredibly boring to watch. I did a lot of racing in the past and I would have given up if involvement in a 'race' meant being a part of a parade following a clearly slower car for most of the race.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2010, 02:59:19 PM »
Mercedes earned the position.  They managed to execute a pit stop pass in a season where refueling bans were supposed to eliminate such things, and then building a car more reliable than Hamilton's.  Don't ascribe Michael powers he doesn't have!

As for the lack of overtaking... this isn't a drag race, it's a road race.  Getting around people has always been the name of the sport.  Defending against a pass is just as crucial a skill as executing one.  It just so happens that the rules this year make it easier to be the defender:  the best drivers are those who can put a slow car in front of a fast one.

Jeri
I normally agree with your points of view but on this occassion I will make an exception.
Mercedes definitely did not earn this, they lucked in. Button had a display failure and a dragging clutch which made his pit stop a bit longer than it should have been.
Hamilton picked up some debris which damaged a hub (that is the last report I saw). So Mercedes did nothing other than produce a car that had poor race pace. In other series, when a car is clearly slower than the cars behind they get blue flagged. In F1 at the moment it seems acceptable to just stay in the way. This isn't 'racing' and it is incredibly boring to watch. I did a lot of racing in the past and I would have given up if involvement in a 'race' meant being a part of a parade following a clearly slower car for most of the race.

Luck is a matter of perspective.

Bad luck for McLaren is good luck for Mercedes, Red Bull, F1F1 and Renault.  The saying 'luck favours the prepared' applies to F1 as much as anything.  Mercedes was lucky, but they took advantage of it.  You've got to be lucky to win an F1 championship.

I'm not going to suggest that what Schumacher accomplished was entertaining.  However, watching fast cars pull into the distance isn't exactly exciting either.  The reason we saw more of MS than Webber on TV had nothing to do with their names.

The current rules are broken, and happened to favour MS in Spain.  Can't blame the guy for that.  He is a champion, and is going to bend every single rule to his advantage that he can.  That's how he wins, and I hope that Nico isn't too bitter to learn from MS.  (And, if you believe that MS has been dodgy, we can hope that Nico only learns the good bits from MS.)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2010, 03:54:13 PM »
Some of you seem to think Nico had the same car as MS. According to Speed's coverage, Nico still had the older Short car, only MS had the revised chassis. Nico has been complaining of the same problem MS has: understeer mid corner. Let's see if Nico improves when and if he gets the fully revised version.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline judy

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2010, 04:10:36 PM »
I don 't think Merc will be getting much positive impact by building a car that is perfect just for Schumi. The drivers from the other front runner teams will continue to outperform Schumi, for sure.

The new car is definately not suitable for Nico 's driving style and I am certain Nico is not going to score much points for the rest of the season. Other front runner teams have 2 almost equally competitive drivers, therefore the other teams will definately score much more points than Merc. The old concept of number 1 and number 2 driver is no more relevant today and as long as Ross Brawn and Schumi insist on using this outdated concept, it is a loose, loose situation for Merc.

I certainly do not agree that Nico has not done enough to prove himself to far. The 2 podiums is definately a proof of his talent and I am certain if he is allowed to continue racing with the old version, he will definately win at least one or 2 races this season. Since Nico has achieve 2 podiums for the first 4 races this season, is Schumi going to achieve 2 podiums for the next 3 races. If Schumi does not achieve any podium by the next 3 or 4 races, does that mean Nico is better than him (since the car is specially designed to suit Schumi 's driving style to perfection).

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2010, 05:03:53 PM »
I don 't think Merc will be getting much positive impact by building a car that is perfect just for Schumi. The drivers from the other front runner teams will continue to outperform Schumi, for sure.

The new car is definately not suitable for Nico 's driving style and I am certain Nico is not going to score much points for the rest of the season. Other front runner teams have 2 almost equally competitive drivers, therefore the other teams will definately score much more points than Merc. The old concept of number 1 and number 2 driver is no more relevant today and as long as Ross Brawn and Schumi insist on using this outdated concept, it is a loose, loose situation for Merc.

I certainly do not agree that Nico has not done enough to prove himself to far. The 2 podiums is definately a proof of his talent and I am certain if he is allowed to continue racing with the old version, he will definately win at least one or 2 races this season. Since Nico has achieve 2 podiums for the first 4 races this season, is Schumi going to achieve 2 podiums for the next 3 races. If Schumi does not achieve any podium by the next 3 or 4 races, does that mean Nico is better than him (since the car is specially designed to suit Schumi 's driving style to perfection).

I don't remember the driving greats ever letting a car not suiting their driving style get in the way of them making progress. They just rolled their sleeves up and got on with improving both the car and their driving. I think it is time for Nico to step up to the plate and show what he is made of.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2010, 05:10:33 PM »

I don't remember the driving greats ever letting a car not suiting their driving style get in the way of them making progress. They just rolled their sleeves up and got on with improving both the car and their driving. I think it is time for Nico to step up to the plate and show what he is made of.

I was impressed with both Hamilton and Kimi pushing ahead last season.  2 champions without championship cars who managed to end the season with top running cars.  I understand they both ran for teams with deep pockets, but they could've rolled over and just accepted crappy seasons.

markb

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2010, 05:19:59 PM »
Mercedes to use old 2010 car in Monaco
Racing series      F1
Date    2010-05-10

By Motorsport.com/GMM

Share |

Mercedes will revert to its original 2010 car for the Monaco Grand Prix this weekend.

The Brackley based team unveiled a car with a longer wheelbase in Spain last weekend, which is tipped to have helped Michael Schumacher get the upper hand over his teammate Nico Rosberg for the first time in 2010.

But according to German media sources, the pre-Barcelona package - which in Rosberg's hands was driven to the podium twice in four races - will be up and running again in Monaco because it better suits the slow and twisty curves of the unique street layout.

The shorter-wheelbase car will however be fitted with the latest aerodynamic innovations in Monaco, including the knife-like rollover structure and engine cover air inlets.

"I am very optimistic that we will be more competitive than in Barcelona," team CEO Nick Fry is quoted as saying by Germany's RTL.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2010, 05:22:57 PM »
Ferrari and Mc Laren do seem to be better at Virtual development than the other teams. Better computer programmers on staff? I still think F1 could gain a bit of exposure and allow some other tracks a taste of F1 by setting up 3 or 4 track days during the season to allow a bit of testing. I'm sure at the right venues fans would pay well to see the teams test.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2010, 05:27:32 PM »
Some of you seem to think Nico had the same car as MS. According to Speed's coverage, Nico still had the older Short car, only MS had the revised chassis. Nico has been complaining of the same problem MS has: understeer mid corner. Let's see if Nico improves when and if he gets the fully revised version.

Lonny

Well, isn't that interesting then?  :P

In other series, when a car is clearly slower than the cars behind they get blue flagged.

Really??? I mean sure, if you've got a mechanical failure I can see it but you're not actually proposing that a car on the lead lap be blue flagged are you? In that case, I want MS promoted to 2nd for the 2006 Turkish GP when he sucked on Alonso's fumes for the last 15 laps! I didn't hear anyone really complain too much about that!  :D And lets not even talk about trying to bring that rule forward for a track like Monaco. Talk about a slippery slope......
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Scott

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2010, 06:24:49 PM »
In other series, when a car is clearly slower than the cars behind they get blue flagged.

I've never heard of that.  Black flagged if it's something mechanical that is holding up the field and the driver is too stubborn to pull in, sure, but Blue flag?  Not if he's on the same lap as the drivers behind and the same class of car.  Kinda takes the racing out of the race if you ask me.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2010, 09:00:23 PM »
Schumacher earned his place, it was a good pass on Button and if Button could'nt get by him that's hard luck( and I like Button .)
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2010, 08:58:18 AM »
Agree, Schumacher earned the place by passing Button when he did. In F1 it's all about being ahead to capitalise when something does happen. See Alonso with both Hamilton and Vettel, he earned that finish by qualifying well. Not their fault that other cars go off or have failures.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle