collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 201
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16182 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13028 Posts
John S John S
11302 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Kubica "inks" Ferrari "Option" for 2011...  (Read 2446 times)

markb

Kubica "inks" Ferrari "Option" for 2011...
« on: May 07, 2010, 10:40:53 AM »
Kubica inks Ferrari 'option' for 2011 - report
Racing series      F1
Date    2010-05-07

By Motorsport.com/GMM

Share |

According to the Italian sports daily Tuttosport, there is substance to the rumours linking Robert Kubica with Ferrari.

The Turin-published newspaper believes Renault's Polish driver has signed some sort of document with the Maranello based team.

The report said the "option" on the 25-year-old's services for 2011 must be taken up by Ferrari by July 15 of this year -- between the British and German grands prix.

Kubica told reporters in Barcelona that he is concerned that Renault's closest rivals could catch up or pull away this weekend.

He admitted he was hoping to see "a bigger upgrade" for the R30 in Spain.

"Most of the teams are normally targeting a big upgrade for Barcelona and I hope just they don't bring three, four (tenths), half a second, to here.

"If they do we might be a bit more in trouble but we'll see," added Kubica.

Offline aazz

Re: Kubica "inks" Ferrari "Option" for 2011...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 11:38:16 AM »
This sounds interesting. I can't imagine Kubica playing second fiddle to anyone including Alonso. I wonder how it would pan out next year at Ferrari if this does happen?
I can't think of anything to write here.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 01:46:06 PM »
This sounds interesting. I can't imagine Kubica playing second fiddle to anyone including Alonso. I wonder how it would pan out next year at Ferrari if this does happen?

I think, given McLaren going with Button/Hamilton, and Mercedes going with Rosberg/Schumacher, that the trend will be for teams to go for two top drivers, rather than a clear #1 and #2. 

The question isn't whether Kubica will choose to be in Alonso's shadow, but rather if Alonso is okay with a second rooster in the hen house.  (And, honestly, if it means more action like cutting off Massa into the pits, it does sound interesting)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 02:18:23 PM »
Or, it could be a straight swap, with Ferd doing another "one year gone then back to Renault."
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 02:27:48 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking that everyone just assumes it would be Alonzo with Kubica...I thought Massa was the 'chosen one' at Ferrari (at least that's what some people say  :P ).  Massa would be with Alonzo in points had Alonzo not pulled that nasty move.  Maybe they are going to see where Massa and Alonzo are after the British GP and decide then who they want to pay off.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Williamsfan

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 02:43:37 PM »
Kubica would be a massive asset for Ferrari so I am not surprised to see these reports.  I assume it would be Massa who moves as although he is a big figure in the team, I think Alonso is Luca's preferred driver.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 03:06:02 PM »
Kubica would be a massive asset for Ferrari so I am not surprised to see these reports.  I assume it would be Massa who moves as although he is a big figure in the team, I think Alonso is Luca's preferred driver.

Hmm.

Without testing to spend their money on, maybe Ferrari's strategy is to simply buy up all the competitive drivers, and then force them to sit out.  Kimi and Massa can form a 'Shadow Ferrari' team.  (Haug will probably lend them Schumacher too...)

Or perhaps Ferrari is still planning on running a third car.  (And once again I will wonder why Ferrari doesn't just open a second team, like Red Bull did.  Or just buy STR)

Offline Chris Borg

You Race to win.

Aryton Senna.

markb

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 08:28:43 AM »
Quote from Chris's link above...

"The story has arguably gained credibility in the wake of the Chinese Grand Prix last time out, when Alonso aggressively and single-mindedly barged his way past the sister scarlet machine on the entry to the Shanghai pit-lane, unceremoniously elbowing his team-mate aside and onto the grass and thereby making sure that his Ferrari was the one to be serviced first during the flurry of pit-stops following the emergence of the safety car – leaving Massa to sit in-line and wait. The pair finished the race respectively fourth (Alonso) and ninth – the difference between twelve points and just two."

If Kubica is on his way to Ferrari, it is still "wide open" in regard to WHICH drive makes way for him but,if Alonso's not careful, ...............it could be HIM!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 08:32:15 AM by markb »

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 10:03:55 AM »

I think this is just the same old story about Kubica and Ferrari, sounds to me like Robert was put on stanby with an option as insurance in case Massa did not recover his form after last years injuries. Ferrari were seriously compromised last year following the accident and will have made sure thay are not in the same position again, I know they have Fischi but they will also have looked at other options. My evidence is the relativly short deadline to the option expiry, to me it seems this option was signed much earlier, maybe even last year.

Santander took their very big bucks to Ferrari because of Alonso, if he is sacked they will no doubt have clauses to get them out of their deal, they have been caught out once before at McLaren so will have learnt from it.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 10:13:09 AM »
You could be right John.  This could also be the beginning of the Alonzo-like 3yr speculation about Kubica moving to Ferrari - it probably won't happen in 2011.

If I was Massa though, I'd be scheduling a meeting with management to get them to clarify my contract terms. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 02:33:21 PM »
You could be right John.  This could also be the beginning of the Alonzo-like 3yr speculation about Kubica moving to Ferrari - it probably won't happen in 2011.

If I was Massa though, I'd be scheduling a meeting with management to get them to clarify my contract terms. 

Only problem is F1 contracts aren't worth the
paper their signed on
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 04:46:55 PM »

Only problem is F1 contracts aren't worth the
paper their signed on

I don't know, Kimi's got the world's largest ice cream budget thanks to Ferrari.

I'm going to guess any NEW contracts Ferrari sign will be a little more team sided.  Massa would be safe, but anything Kubica signs will be more dubious.

Williamsfan

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 08:21:43 PM »
Kimi is the reason the Magnum ice cream brand are able to afford Benicio del Toro for their new 'Magnum Gold' adverts  :D 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle