collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 374
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Schumacher Penalised  (Read 8284 times)

Offline Ian

Schumacher Penalised
« on: May 16, 2010, 06:18:50 PM »
Michael handed a drive through penalty for his pass on Alonso under S/C(even though green flags and green lights on)this is converted into a 20second time penalty which drops him from 6th to 12th.  :sick:

An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Canada Darrell™

Re: Schumacher Penalised
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 07:58:13 PM »
So having read as much as I can about the incident and both side's interpretation of the rules I'm still confused. If we take the stewards version then why even bother having the safety car duck into the pits on the last lap and go to green flag status? Why not just have all the cars follow the SC into the pits and be done with it?

:confused:
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 08:03:50 PM »
Exactly.  Why on earth would they bother doing that?  It just encourages a situation like this.  Either finish the race under yellow, or do like NASCAR and run Green, White and Checker laps (write it into the TV contracts if you have to, but you'll keep fans to the end if you insist on a 3 lap clear run at the end of any race, no matter what happens). 

One one hand Schumi took advantage of an obviously controversial situation, but on the other hand, what the heck was Alonso thinking???  He should have made his car so wide that his wheels were rubbing both sides of the track!

I would have been much happier if Alonso had tried it, so he could be pushed out of the points...would have helped with my points.   :P :P
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 08:13:35 PM »
Safety Car Rule 40.13
If the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pitlane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking.

Jugirl

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 08:44:06 PM »
 :nono: naughty naughty Micheal ;)
He has something about that corner, isnt it where he parked his Ferrari in 2006? ;)
I thought you said Schumi was going to be holding alonso up ian ? ;)
Didn't my Fernando do well hehe :D
Jugirl

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 08:47:43 PM »
Safety Car Rule 40.13
If the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pitlane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking.

Yup, read that myself earlier, but I can't for the life of me figure out why they would go to green flag status (which I'm led to believe they did?). Doesn't green flag mean "race"?
Ah well, we'll hear shortly the result of the appeal I guess.
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Ian

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 08:51:38 PM »
Got to say Jugirl I was well impressed with Fernando today, and there I was jumping up and down when Schumey slipped past him, rubbing my hands ready to give you some stick tonight, never mind, the time will come hehe.

Offline Ian

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 08:54:34 PM »
I can't understand that either Darrell, green after all is GO, RACE.

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 09:00:14 PM »
Too bad about Schumi (I lost a point too), but hey, a Swiss nailed the last point as a result, so it kinda makes up for it.  Way to go Buemi!   :good:

Offline squ

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 09:08:09 PM »
If it's a green flag, then it's a race. If webber stopped would everyone have to wait for him to move? And I'm a Ferrari fan!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 09:08:51 PM »

I think the stewards and the race director have made right asses of themselves, what is the point of pulling the S/C in to the pit lane if they are not going green. They are allowed to overtake after the safety car line so as long as the pass came after that line it should be good. Webber certainly thought they were going green or he wouldn't have bothered to back up the pack. This stinks of the high handed attitude that we all thought was gone since Max left the scene.

I certainly hope Schumi wins the appeal so it will be clear that pulling the S/C in means racing is resumed and everyone knows what to expect, it's the flim flam about how the rules mean different things  that turns people off the sport.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 09:30:03 PM »

....MS will win the appeal....
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 09:38:57 PM »
The flags might have been green, but Alonso's car was red, not Schumi's. Once again, when in doubt, hand it to Ferrari. 
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 10:01:18 PM »

I think the stewards and the race director have made right asses of themselves, what is the point of pulling the S/C in to the pit lane if they are not going green. They are allowed to overtake after the safety car line so as long as the pass came after that line it should be good. Webber certainly thought they were going green or he wouldn't have bothered to back up the pack. This stinks of the high handed attitude that we all thought was gone since Max left the scene.

I certainly hope Schumi wins the appeal so it will be clear that pulling the S/C in means racing is resumed and everyone knows what to expect, it's the flim flam about how the rules mean different things  that turns people off the sport.

Well put John.Ross was pretty confident about the pass after
the race.He had all the documentation ready,even a picture
with the steering wheel green before the pass.I wonder
how much Damon being a steward figured in this

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 07:56:20 AM »
Stupid rule, stupid stewards.  Race was over - why give an 80m passing opportunity?  Nobody knew what to do and Merc/Schumi just pushed it to see what will happen.  Doesn't make them look stupid, only the FIA (and maybe Alonso).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle