collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 504
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Schumacher Penalised  (Read 8289 times)

Offline cosworth151

Re: Schumacher Penalised
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2010, 01:32:21 PM »
Yes, the Safety Car pulled in. But why did the lights go green. At least leave a local yellow in that section of track.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Cam

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2010, 01:38:05 PM »
Yes, the Safety Car pulled in. But why did the lights go green. At least leave a local yellow in that section of track.

It wouldn't (shouldnt) have made any difference because when the rule was originally formulated you weren't allowed to overtake until you got to the start finsh line anyway.

I am a lover of what is, not because I'm a spiritual person, but because it hurts when I argue with reality - Byron Katie

Offline Monty

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2010, 01:40:39 PM »
I've been going to races for over 50 years. I started driving race cars almost 40 years ago. Road, drag, dirt and paved ovals, one rule was always the same:

GREEN MEANS GO!

If you want the race to end under yellow, leave the yellow lights on! As many of you know, I'm not a fan of Schumacher. This time, however, he was in the right.

Wow. You must be even older than me.
I have also raced (karts, superbikes and single seaters). Ironically the rules for F1 are often very different to the majority of other series. I recently made the point in another post about blue flags. In most other series a blue flag is a warning that you are much slower than the guy behind you (irrespective of your race position). You are meant to make sure you do not hold the other guy up. If you do hold him up by poor driving you risk getting black flagged. In F1, the blue flag only relates to traffic being lapped and a blue flag (or to be precise, 3 of them) means throw yourself off the track because someone who gets paid more than you is coming through!
I'm not suggesting I agree with Article 40.13 but it exists and it's meaning is clear:- 'finish in a nice tidy line for the TV'!

Offline Dare

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2010, 02:00:17 PM »
My only problem is on tv Brawn spoke of new
regualtions this year so the rules must have been
unclear to the teams.If Brawn thought it was
wrong for a second he wouldn't have thrown away
a sixth place finish
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2010, 03:24:41 PM »
Nor, I'm sure, would he have gone on live tv with flip charts, photos and transcripts!

Thanks god it wasn't his family holiday snaps, strikes me as just that kind of guy!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2010, 05:22:51 PM »

My mother had a picture of me standing on a trailer behind Jack Bowsher's 32 Ford stock car at Columbus Speedway. It was dated in the summer of 1955.  :swoon:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2010, 12:26:32 AM »

My mother had a picture of me standing on a trailer behind Jack Bowsher's 32 Ford stock car at Columbus Speedway. It was dated in the summer of 1955.  :swoon:

right around the time Ian and me had
our first beer,just a youngster
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2010, 09:42:04 AM »

right around the time Ian and me had
our first beer,just a youngster

Only they didn't call it beer then it was called 'Ged's Elixir of life'! I'm amazed you old timers can use a keyboard but hey, let me get comfy and tell me about old times  when everything was in sepia!  :tease:

Offline Ian

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2010, 01:15:37 PM »
Cheeky bugger you are stealth.  :DD
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2010, 02:25:51 PM »
From Autosport:

FIA moves to clarify safety car rules   

By Pablo Elizalde   Thursday, May 20th 2010, 09:20 GMT

Formula 1's ruling body has moved to try to clarify the safety car rules following the incident involving Michael Schumacher and Fernando Alonso in the Monaco Grand Prix.

Schumacher was handed a 20-second penalty after passing Alonso on the final corner of the race, just as the safety car had dived into the pits.

The Mercedes driver was penalised for breaking rule 40.13 of the sporting regulations, which states, "If the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pit lane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking."

However, Mercedes, which initially considered appealing the penalty, believed the race had finished normally and not under the safety car.

On Thursday the FIA recognised a lack of clarity in the rules and said the Formula One Commission will submit a change to the rules in order to avoid a repeat of the situation.

"The problems identified during the final lap of the Monaco Grand Prix, counting for the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship, showed a lack of clarity in the application of the rule prohibiting overtaking behind the Safety Car," the FIA said in a statement.

"Adjustments to the regulations are necessary to clarify the procedure that cars must meet when the last lap is controlled by the Safety Car whilst also ensuring that the signaling for teams and drivers is made more clear.

"These adjustments will help to avoid the problem which occurred during the Monaco Grand Prix from happening in the future.

"The Formula One Commission, upon a proposal of the F1 Sporting Working Group will submit an amendment to the Sporting Regulations to address this issue. These amendments will be considered by the World Motor Sport Council at its next meeting in Geneva on June 23."

Yeah, get on that.  Bring everyone together for a special F1 Sporting Working Group meeting, then bring in the lawyers, draft an amendment, send it along to the WMSC.

How about we save everyone some time and money and simply tell race control not to turn the green lights on next time????
   :fool: :fool: :fool:

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2010, 03:20:01 PM »
That would be too easy. This is the FIA after all. :P

Lonny
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2010, 02:28:55 PM »
Safety Car Rule 40.13
If the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pitlane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking.

But, if the safety car is in the pitlane, it isn't deployed when the race ends!  ;)

― Bob Dylan

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2010, 03:22:51 PM »
Safety Car Rule 40.13
If the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pitlane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking.

But, if the safety car is in the pitlane, it isn't deployed when the race ends!  ;)

If the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed

EXACTLY!!!!  :good: :D
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Dare

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2010, 03:38:08 PM »
And what gets me from what I understand is if
Mercedes would have went ahead with their
appeal and won it wouldn't have effected the
outcome of the race,so whats the purpose of appealing

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle