collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 329
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Spare cars should return - Domenicali  (Read 4320 times)

Offline Dare

Spare cars should return - Domenicali
« on: May 18, 2010, 04:28:04 PM »

I agree,I could imagine if a driver vying for the WDC
damaged his car beyond repair in the last race of the season

ESPNF1 Staff
May 18, 2010 
Fernando Alonso had to sit out of qualifying after cracking his Ferrari chassis © Sutton Images Related LinksNews:Alonso rues Saturday morning crash
Profiles:Fernando Alonso | Stefano Domenicali Teams:Ferrari Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali is pushing for the ban on spare cars to be overturned.

Fernando Alonso had to sit out of qualifying at last weekend's Monaco Grand Prix because his chassis was written off in a practice crash. The availability of complete spare cars was banned a few years ago as a cost-saving measure. Now, teams may transport spare monocoques to races and build up a new car in the event that one is damaged.

But, even if there had been enough time to do so for Alonso, the regulations state that if a driver elects to use a new survival cell after a crash in qualifying or practice he must start the race from the pit lane. Domenicali said he agrees with cutting costs, but argues that in the case of banning spare cars, "you lose value in other ways".

"You cannot leave the spectators without the possibility of enjoying one of the biggest stars in qualifying," he told Spain's Diario AS newspaper. "We will discuss it with the other teams to see if we can change it [the rule]."

He added: "Nothing has been decided, but I hope it happens soon."

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

Re: Spare cars should return - Domenicali
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 04:44:33 PM »
I also agree with your point on the other thread.  The T-car is there, it just isn't built (they probably have enough bits to build most of two cars).  Why can't they just ship an entire car, and if they need bits, they take it off that.  If they need the entire car, they fill it with gas and send it on its way. 

How does forcing the team to work overtime building a new car up for a driver save money???   :fool: :fool:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 05:08:10 PM »
Agree, where's the harm in having the t-car built and ready for use? I know space is tight in the garages at some races but they can store it out the back if needs be. Ridiculous that we can't have all cars out there if someone has a crash that morning.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 08:22:41 PM »
For a team like Virgin or HRT a spare car might be a problem, but I agree with Domenicali, if the teams are bringing all the parts to build a spare anyway, why not have the car ready to go. Put Alonso at the front of the field and who knows what happens.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 08:30:11 PM »
I doubt that there is a team on the grid that doesn't have an entire car disassembled in their spares bins at each race. Why not have them ready when needed?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

David

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 11:02:24 PM »
It might be about cutting costs in F1, but I say if the team can afford it let them have it. It's not as if a team like Virgin or HRT having a car knocked out of the last race of the season is going to greatly effect the out come of the championship.

Offline littledave

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 11:15:02 AM »
I have to completely disagree I'm afraid. Yes teams might have the parts there to build a third car, but all it does is put extra pressure on all of the teams to have one, leading to further expense.

Rarely does it even get to a stage where this situation comes up of needing a 3rd car so what you have then is 12 spare cars doing nothing all season.

"You cannot leave the spectators without the possibility of enjoying one of the biggest stars in qualifying,"

Well maybe if the driver that is on xxx amount of millions hadn't stuffed it into the wall, they wouldn't have to rebuild the car. It’s this snobbyness in F1 that is so irritating. If this was the Virgin team that needed a 3rd car, but it didn't best suit the will of Ferrari, I'm sure they would be the 1st to block them.

Don't get me wrong I would love to have seen Alonso in qualifying, and a 3rd car would be great, but it's just not needed.

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 11:30:22 AM »
It would probably save shipping costs to ship an entire car instead of 200 crates of spare parts, plus it would save hours by building it at the factory rather than the racetrack.  If Virgin doesn't have a spare bit of everything for one or two of their cars, they have no right to be on the grid.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 04:59:57 PM »
Since the teams all have a third car in bits at the track, it would seem reasonable to have the spare ready for use. However, to ensure that there's a point to having it there, I would insist that third drivers get to use them at some point each weekend, perhaps as an additional mini-race to entertain people on Sunday morning. Their qualifying would be done on the basis of their practise times (thus encouraging teams to use them for at least one session a weekend). If that's not good enough because that means some stars effectively missing a session, then reinstate the "third driver hour" on Fridays, but this time allow every team access to it (race chassis could be used, but no drivers on the race entry list). There wouldn't need to be points on offer, just some small prizes.

To me, this would solve several problems at once. All those bits that are shipped across the world have a purpose, the third drivers get some practise in the cars they may be called upon to use in F1, a small amount of inexpensive extra testing occurs, the crowds who attend F1 get slightly better value for money... ...and anyone who can't afford a spare car won't suffer for it because there would be no compulsion to enter the third driver race if a team did not or would not want to do so.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 08:18:21 PM »
Way too sensible!   :good: :good: :good:

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 05:26:22 AM »
You should have run against Todt. ;) ;)

Lonny
Lonny

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 10:10:31 AM »
Well, maybe I could... ...but then I'd have to pay around £32000 a year to commute to Paris twice a week, which considering the post is unpaid and I'm not a millionaire, could cause my bank manager to disagree.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 10:52:16 AM »
Technically it's unpaid, but I believe they pick up all your expenses, including a nice place in Paris when you have to spend the night.  You'll have all our votes, whatever that means.   :good: :D :good:

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 12:08:08 PM »
They pick up expenses?!? Ooh, that changes a lot :)
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Cam

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 01:58:08 PM »
Whether the car is in bits or assembled isnt relevant, the rules dont allow the use of the spare car for qualifying.
I am a lover of what is, not because I'm a spiritual person, but because it hurts when I argue with reality - Byron Katie

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle