collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 612
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Spare cars should return - Domenicali  (Read 4319 times)

Offline cosworth151

Re: Spare cars should return - Domenicali
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2010, 06:11:41 PM »
It used to be allowed, and they should go back to that.

Ali, it's like most appointed political positions - what you loose in pay you make up in graft!  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 11:43:50 PM »
Well, if they change the rules to allow a spare car, they would have to change them to allow its use. Oh wait it's the FIA. :fool:

Lonny
Lonny

Online Jericoke

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 01:31:12 PM »
One thing that I really really miss in F1 is the first corner pile up, followed by the foot race to the garage to get into the T Car.  No other motorsport had anything like that.

Having a spare car on hand means that drivers can take greater risks at certain points, which would only increase spectacle, wouldn't it?

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 11:54:16 AM »
Whether the car is in bits or assembled isnt relevant, the rules dont allow the use of the spare car for qualifying.

The rule was brought in as teams were using the T cars as race cars, they could put two different set ups on the car and then race the one that they thought offered the best chance. I agree that taking a pre assembled spare makes sense to save putting the track mechanics through hell for no apparent reason, but I think they should still keep the no quali rule as it keeps another lottery element to make the race more interesting. After all a shunt is a mistake by driver, his team or another driver/team so there should be a price to pay; that's motor racing surely.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2010, 04:33:51 PM »
A shunt during quali, sure, he's out. A shunt during practice that can't be repaired in time, use the spare car.

Lonny
Lonny

Jugirl

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 03:16:47 PM »
A shunt during quali, sure, he's out. A shunt during practice that can't be repaired in time, use the spare car.

Lonny

I totally agree. Rules are rules but Alonso suffered and could have been much higher placed if a spare car was allowed. Crashing in practice should allow the use of a spare car. If you crash in qualifying though, tough, your mistake.
Jugirl

Offline gato

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2010, 03:46:30 PM »
Space cars are not bad idea if it make that sport safer! ;)
La macchina e´ bella quando quella vincerà. (The car is beautiful when it wins)
- Enzo Ferrari

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2010, 04:06:34 PM »
One thing that I really really miss in F1 is the first corner pile up, followed by the foot race to the garage to get into the T Car.  No other motorsport had anything like that.

Having a spare car on hand means that drivers can take greater risks at certain points, which would only increase spectacle, wouldn't it?

That makes me think of the USGP in 2004. Juan Pablo Montoya's car wouldn't start on the grid. He ran between the race car and the T car 2 or 3 times during the formation lap. He finally started the T car from the pit lane. He was only a few laps from the end when they finally black flagged him for it.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2010, 12:03:22 AM »

That makes me think of the USGP in 2004. Juan Pablo Montoya's car wouldn't start on the grid. He ran between the race car and the T car 2 or 3 times during the formation lap. He finally started the T car from the pit lane. He was only a few laps from the end when they finally black flagged him for it.

I remember that.  Very weird.  Very irresponsible of the marshalls too.  If he'd caused an accident, injury or worse, it would've been completely on them for allowing him to go out.  (Of course, as a fan, we just want to see the guys race!)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle