collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 311
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Poll

Who do you blame?

Webber
Vettell
Both equally

Author Topic: Webber v Vettell  (Read 6396 times)

Williamsfan

Re: Webber v Vettell
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 08:44:49 PM »
I was thinking the same Scott about Webber's future, I cannot believe he would enjoy the situation if the team is so far behind Vettel as today's events suggest.  Maybe though he'll brush it aside for the good of his career, but it must have been a real kick in the teeth given his recent form up to and including today's race.  Vettel only caught him as the team made him turn his engine down.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 08:47:50 PM »

"He [Vettel] was already ahead, at least two metres ahead, and there was a corner to the left side coming, so he had to go for the line," he said. "He cannot brake on the dirt because for sure he knows what happens.

Marko seems to have forgotten that great drivers prepare for their overtakes by cleaning the areas of the track they might be expecting to have to use whilst making a move. It's one thing to get the nose of your car in front but quite another to get an overtake done sucessfully.

If overtaking is as simple as Vettel seems to think it should be we would not all be moaning about lack of overtakes. I think Seb must have been watching too much MotoGP where you can stuff the bike up the inside and use the other rider to assist you into the bend.

I'm not so sure though that the McLarens showed perfect manners, as far as I remember Lewis was pretty agressive on the retake and had Jens kept his foot in we may well be discussing them thowing away top places.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline KevinZ

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2010, 08:52:21 PM »
I think it is terrible for the team to drop Webber so quickly, especially when both drivers are still fighting for a championship. Webber will  now understand where the teams loyalties lie, and that will either motivate him to win despite the bias or shatter his confidence, I believe it will be the former.

I am disappointed with Christian Horner but obviously he is worred about Vettel moving elsewhere and has decided that if he backs him he has more chance of retaining him in the future

Offline Scott

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 08:55:07 PM »
I thought Vettel had another year on his contract...it is Webber's contract that is up at the end of the year.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline KevinZ

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 09:02:46 PM »
I thought Vettel had another year on his contract...it is Webber's contract that is up at the end of the year.

I would think that Christian is looking long term, and hoping that Vettel will remember the time the team backed him. Vettel is the future for Red Bull even if he has another year on his contract.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2010, 09:07:41 PM »
Webber will  now understand where the teams loyalties lie, and that will either motivate him to win despite the bias or shatter his confidence, I believe it will be the former.

I am disappointed with Christian Horner but obviously he is worred about Vettel moving elsewhere and has decided that if he backs him he has more chance of retaining him in the future

I think Mark will be happy having the points and the blame rather than the alternative, he is a tough character and will stay determined to try for the WDC, after all he knows it could be his one chance at it.

From Christian's point of view Vettel is the future and most of the other top teams will put in a bid if Seb is available, heck they may even buy off his contract with RBR if it comes to it. It's a team principal's job to keep the best talent if at all possible so allowing mark to carry the blame, whilst sitting on a points advantage, may get everyone over this in the quickest way.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2010, 08:07:52 AM »
What Scott said!! :good:
If the McLarens had not had that fight through five corners then Vettell may have had an argument but as they did and showed how it should be done he is fighting a lost cause.
I feel another poll coming on!!!!! >:D
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2010, 08:41:07 AM »
Back in the deep dark past, I went to the SCCA marshalling school where we were taught the driver attempting the pass is the controlling driver and it is his job to get by cleanly. By that logic, Vettel is to blame. Further, Mark has a reputation for not giving an inch and Vettel should be aware of that. Let's see, Dietrich is Austrian, Marko is German, Vettel is German, do I detect a bit of Chauvinism here?

Lonny
Lonny

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2010, 09:51:51 AM »
Vettel is RB's baby, they've brought him through the ranks and know damn well that he is the future, still it shows a sever lack of balls by the Horner, he should have told Vettel he screwed up.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2010, 11:24:09 AM »
Vettel is RB's baby, they've brought him through the ranks and know damn well that he is the future, still it shows a sever lack of balls by the Horner, he should have told Vettel he screwed up.

At the end of the day Vettel knows he screwed up because Mark is sitting on a points advantage following this, you can't become a top F1 driver by not knowing exactly your part in what happened even if you can't or wont admit it publicly.

Horner as the team manager has to ensure both these guys continue to race for the team and not as enemies, he may have decided Mark's got the points so he can cope with the blame to stop unrest. On the BBC before the race they were discussing the pressure on Christian, especially because he has never been in the situation of having two drivers fighting for the WDC. No real conclusions were drawn although they all agreed infighting could ruin the team's chances of the constructors title and might let some one else steal the WDC, does Lewis & Ferd in 07 ring any bells.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2010, 12:52:49 PM »
As much as I like like Vettel, the kid screwed up. Taking out a team mate isn't good for one's future in F1.

Just ask JPM.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2010, 01:42:42 PM »
ARGH!!! I accidently voted for Webber! Make that Vettel!!!!!!!

Ha ha :-[ So did I and I set it up!! :-[ :-[ :fool:

I thought Vettel had signed up an voted  :-*

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2010, 01:48:33 PM »

I would think that Christian is looking long term, and hoping that Vettel will remember the time the team backed him. Vettel is the future for Red Bull even if he has another year on his contract.

The current strategy in F1 is to have two strong drivers to maximise the changes of a WDC, as well as help ensure the WCC.

If RBR is willilng to hang Mark out like this, good luck finding a strong driver to be Vettel's caddy.

Or else RBR has already decided that it's best to only have one rooster in the hen house.

Offline Monty

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2010, 10:31:46 AM »
Totally Vettels fault but I was really surprised at Mark. No matter who is on your inside going into a tight left, the best thing to do is move out wide and hope for a cut-back pass coming out of the corner. Again, totally Vettels fault but I think smart driving from Mark could have avoided the accident.

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2010, 02:05:43 PM »
Mark explained that by saying they were not at the conner yet so Vettels move took him by surprise because it was too early.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle