collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 472
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Will agressive race fuel strategies cause more friction?  (Read 1320 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Will agressive race fuel strategies cause more friction?
« on: June 02, 2010, 07:49:21 PM »

In extracts from article today on The Daily Telegraph website by Tom Cary, he argues that there may be discontent in both McLaren & Red Bull camps about the use of fuel during the race in Turkey. He also questions the veracity of Button's statements over target lap times.

Will this lead to more rucuus amongst the top runners in Canada as that too has a very quick lap pace?

1. Was Button given a specific target lap time by the pitwall or not?

It seems to me that this crucial question remains unanswered and yet it is holds the key to understanding the frostiness between Button and Hamilton at the finish.

To explain, with the race pace in Turkey much faster than anticipated, the four frontrunners were all eating up their fuel at a much higher rate of consumption than was comfortable for the engineers on the pitwall. For that reason they were all at varying times given instructions to “save fuel”.

In the case of the Red Bull pair, this involved de-tuning Webber’s engine a few laps earlier than Vettel’s, which the team claim was behind the German’s extra speed when he made his move on lap 40. In the case of Lewis and Jenson, it involved the setting of target lap times for both men. Or at least that is what McLaren’s chief engineer Tim Goss told me in the immediate aftermath.

“They were both given identical instructions to conserve fuel,” Goss said quite categorically. “We were running quite an aggressive fuel strategy to get good pace early in the race. We gave both drivers identical target lap times. And as you can see from the evidence Jenson managed to close on Lewis.”

If their target lap times were identical, I asked, why did one catch the other? Was someone was ignoring their instructions? “You could look at the target times yourself,” Goss replied. “We instructed them over the radio to target 1:31 lap times.”

As it happens, they both ran under 1:31 pretty consistently around those crucial laps in the buld-up to their skirmish on lap 48, but Button was dipping further under, twice taking big chunks out of Hamilton. Hamilton clearly felt a bit stunned at Button’s attempt to pass him given the fact they had both been told to conserve fuel and set identical target times – which is akin to an order not to race. So it was fascinating was hearing their differing interpretation of the team’s instructions afterwards.

Hamilton: “They asked me to save fuel but it’s difficult to know how much you have to save. They set a lap time target for me and I tried to stick to that. The target was definitely a bit too slow and all of a sudden Jenson was right up on my tail.”

Button: “They were telling me to save fuel too but they didn’t put a lap time on it – just said you have got to save a bit of fuel.”

So is Button telling the truth or is he trying to dig himself out of a conflict with Hamilton by claiming the directions from the team were a bit vague? Intriguing.

2. If Button had made his move on Hamilton stick, would they have continued racing?
The fact that Lewis was able to slipstream Button down the home straight and re-pass the world champion through Turn One prevented a serious fallout in the aftermath that might have rivalled Red Bull’s. But if Hamilton had not been able to reclaim first position immediately, would that have been it? McLaren’s pitwall were by now becoming very concerned at the rate of fuel consumption – which they described as “critical” – and they were imploring both drivers to turn down their engines. But try telling Hamilton, a born racer and a seriously competitive animal, that he is not allowed to fight for a win that he thought he had already wrapped up. One or both of them might have run out of fuel. Which leads me to my next question…

3. If Vettel and Webber had not crashed into one another, would both McLarens and both Red Bulls have reached the finish line?

With just two seconds separating all four frontrunners for much of the race, the pace was frightening. There has been some interesting analysis done in the aftermath of Turkey looking at how aggressive race strategists are becoming with the amount of fuel they put in the cars at the start. Autosport’s Mark Hughes wrote: “Whereas teams were typically filling their cars with about 165kg in Australia, it was more like 155kg at Turkey. That is 145kg for the actual race and a spare 10kg for warming the engine, driving to the grid, the formation lap and slowing down lap. That 10kg difference since Australia represents about 0.33 seconds per lap at Istanbul – and so it is easy to understand why McLaren in particular would be motivated into minimising the amount of fuel it put in.”

With the race pace absolutely flat-out for longer than anyone could have predicted, that precious fuel was being consumed quicker than anticipated. Had the Red Bulls not collided, it would have continued. The question therefore remains: who would would have backed off first? Who had the most fuel left? It may be that Webber would have come fourth by the end had Vettel got past him, with both McLarens also seemingly on Vettel’s pace. Or maybe he would have kept pushing and run out of gas a lap from the end? Maybe they all would? Now we will never know but this issue looks like being a critical determining factor for the rest of the season.

telegraph.co.uk, today

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

Re: Will agressive race fuel strategies cause more friction?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 07:57:34 PM »
Tangential to this discussion, at the Indy500 last weekend, the announcers made a point of mentioning that the drivers were not able to adjut their 'fuel mixture' at all.  That is, if they wanted to save fuel, they had to slow down. 

I know that F1 has sophisticated computers controlling their engines, and they can choose to run their cars for efficiency or speed, but what if this option were removed, and the only way to control how much fuel was used was how hard the drivers stomp on the gas?

I do like that as the teams adapt to the no refueling it is making the season MORE exciting, not less as we'd expected.  Intra team squabling makes for good TV too.

Online cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 08:09:35 PM »
IRL had multiple fuel settings until recently. They did away with them to put the responsibility for fuel management back on the drivers. I think it was a good choice.  :good:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Monty

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 08:34:05 AM »
I had a private bet with myself (I hate to actually lose money) that cars will run out of fuel in certain races during this season. The weight of fuel is so critical that running a low fuel strategy can offer massive advantages in the early stages of a race.
The Canadian GP could be the race where I win my bet. It is a fast race but the strategists will gamble on a number of yellow flag periods. If there are no yellow flag periods it is just possible that a car sent out on an aggressive fuel strategy may not get to the finish.

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 10:06:00 AM »
Without the ability to do a splash 'n dash, that would be suicidal.  Even leaving only enough to finish under lower engine settings for some part of the race is torture for a driver (and fan).  I really hope they don't use that sort of strategy.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 01:26:15 PM »
Without the ability to do a splash 'n dash, that would be suicidal.  Even leaving only enough to finish under lower engine settings for some part of the race is torture for a driver (and fan).  I really hope they don't use that sort of strategy.

It's not NASCAR, an F1 team can't bank on a safety car coming out.  Perhaps a car that qualifies in mid pack with nothing to lose might try that to sneak into the top ten, but not one of the leading teams.

The talk is all about the extra weight slowing the car down, but what about a lean fuel mixture?  How much does THAT slow a car down?  Getting an extra 80 horse power near the end, when your opponents tires are worn out, might be worth the extra weight early.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle