collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 381
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Did Lewis deserve a Stop/Go Penalty at the Canadian GP  (Read 5170 times)

Offline marriner

Did Lewis deserve a Stop/Go Penalty at the Canadian GP
« on: June 14, 2010, 05:31:31 AM »
My opinion is that he was released dangerously into the Ferrari and then failed to yield.  He should have been penalised.

Offline PG_Gabriel

Re: Did Lewis deserve a Stop/Go Penalty at the Canadian GP
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 05:39:50 AM »
As i said in Hereos and Zeros i think that the team did desrve a penalty, a fine or somthing. but not a drive through or stop and go. Hamilton did nothing wrong, he was unsafely released (teams fault) then he held his position and didnt put any preasure on Alonso until he they were out of the pits. The only thing you could pin Hamilton with not slowing to let Alonso get fully ahead, but are the stewards really going to punish him for that after what we have seen this year?  :DntKnw:

Offline Andy B

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 06:14:59 AM »
Spot on PG F1 is getting a little over the top on these things its a race for ****** sake.
Great race though!! :yahoo:
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 07:07:45 AM »
They are not supposed to race in the pit lane. There are too many people standing around who could be injured. Imagine a car being knocked into a garage at even 60 MPH. I don't think you are allowed to drive the length of the pits with 2 wheels inside the blue line. Louis was warned before, if the stewards don't stop this there will be a nasty accident eventually I fear.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 07:46:25 AM »
Absolutely Lonny.  It's far too dangerous to have two cars, side by side going down the pits.  If the FIA aren't even going to enforce their own unsafe release rule, then they should come up with a more sensible one like - when two cars are side by side, outside car has right of way and inside car must immedtiately slow and pull in behind.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 09:10:02 AM »
Don't agree, Lewis should not have been punished. This is a stupid rule anyway, basically they have designed a rule where the team behind always has the advantage. As it happens Lewis' car was released after the Ferrari but Lewis' car got too much wheel spin and then had to dodge the RB's cables. Lewis was fair down the pitlane and did not do what has been done in the past and force a car into the wall or mechanics. If they are going to implement this rule then it has to be a team only penalty, the driver can see nothing in those mirrors.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 09:57:51 AM »

I thought it added to the excitment of the race and hope they don't bring in a load of rubbish rules just on safety grounds. I agree with SH this time neither driver tried to force the other driver into a dangerous situation and for two sworn enemies I thought they behaved themselves well, so hats off to Alonso & Lewis for racing in the spirit of competition.

All the guys working for the teams in the pit lane will just accept it as part of racing and they probably enjoyed the grandstand view of it happening. I really really hope that they don't go on a pit lane safety crusade because of this balls out racing.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 10:53:36 AM »
Sorry, we'll have to agree to disagree.  I've been on the pit wall (in CART) and I was pretty happy there was a cement barrier there.  Not everyone is watching the show the whole time, and might not have the chance to dodge a car skidding towards them.  F1 doesn't even have the barriers protecting either the team in the garage or in the team booths on the left side.  Two cars racing side by side, even at 60kph is dangerous.  It might work when Alonso and Hammy do it, but would it be for Chadhook and Liuzzi?? 

They have to do something to stop it.  At the end of pit lane, after the line, I don't care if they are 3 wide, but there is way too much going on in pit lane for drivers to be wheel to wheel down it.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 11:14:01 AM »
Lewis did'nt deserve a stop/go penalty it was the lollipop mans fault for letting him go. BUT, they do need to stop this now. We have seen pitcrews knocked down before on pitstops and that is at a slow speed, what we don't want is a car losing control at 50mph and slamming into them as their job is already more dangerous than a drivers.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 01:37:32 PM »
Absolutely Lonny.  It's far too dangerous to have two cars, side by side going down the pits.  If the FIA aren't even going to enforce their own unsafe release rule, then they should come up with a more sensible one like - when two cars are side by side, outside car has right of way and inside car must immedtiately slow and pull in behind.

That's fairly sensible, and easily enforced.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 01:41:00 PM »
Don't agree, Lewis should not have been punished. This is a stupid rule anyway, basically they have designed a rule where the team behind always has the advantage. As it happens Lewis' car was released after the Ferrari but Lewis' car got too much wheel spin and then had to dodge the RB's cables. Lewis was fair down the pitlane and did not do what has been done in the past and force a car into the wall or mechanics. If they are going to implement this rule then it has to be a team only penalty, the driver can see nothing in those mirrors.

It's a team sport, Hamilton didn't build the car, choose the fuel strategy or change a single tire.  Awards and punishments are earned as a team.

Honestly, I enjoy the spectacle of cars jostling in the pit lane, but I agree with those who say waiting for accident before creating a solid rule is a bad policy.

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 02:55:39 PM »
And if there was no Lewis the car wouldn't move  :tease: If it was purely a team sport then there would be no Drivers Championship. Simple if they want to enforce these stupid rules they've not thought through properly, then they should punish the team in the constructors championship. More importantly if they want safety they have to either increase the size of the pitlanes or the only way in current system of making it bullet proof is for the FIA to have lights in each pit box and have control of them. Then there is no more team influence and human error. As far as I am concerned though, either you are racing or you are playing Mr Nice Fraggle by letting everyone through before you mirror, signal, manoeuvre! Is that what we want indicators and lights with which to flash out merging traffic???? Come on guys (and girls) its motor racing and its dangerous.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 03:07:08 PM »
And if there was no Lewis the car wouldn't move  :tease: If it was purely a team sport then there would be no Drivers Championship. Simple if they want to enforce these stupid rules they've not thought through properly, then they should punish the team in the constructors championship. More importantly if they want safety they have to either increase the size of the pitlanes or the only way in current system of making it bullet proof is for the FIA to have lights in each pit box and have control of them. Then there is no more team influence and human error. As far as I am concerned though, either you are racing or you are playing Mr Nice Fraggle by letting everyone through before you mirror, signal, manoeuvre! Is that what we want indicators and lights with which to flash out merging traffic???? Come on guys (and girls) its motor racing and its dangerous.

Hamilton has mirrors, and admits he saw Alonso leaving the pit box.  Just because he was told to go, doesn't make it the right thing to do. 

'Following Orders' was already tried as a defense by some folks Max Mosley found exciting.  Didn't work for them either.

The rules need to be clarified/enforced:  if F1 wants pit lane to be an exciting danger zone, that's fine... everyone there should know to have their head on a swivel (perhaps bring in Navy personnel who worked on aircraft carriers?).  If F1 wants to be extra cautious, then they need to apply the rules.  What is going on now is confusing, and more dangerous than just letting the teams go crazy.

David

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 07:33:31 PM »
The team deserve the penalty not Lewis IMO. The driver needs to team to tell him when it's safe to go. Alonso wasn't going to give in either, glad Lewis had the sense not to push it.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 07:52:54 PM »
The team deserve the penalty not Lewis IMO. The driver needs to team to tell him when it's safe to go. Alonso wasn't going to give in either, glad Lewis had the sense not to push it.

Make the lollipop man run a lap?  Sit in a corner?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle