collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 371
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Did Lewis deserve a Stop/Go Penalty at the Canadian GP  (Read 5169 times)

David

Re: Did Lewis deserve a Stop/Go Penalty at the Canadian GP
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 08:01:13 PM »
The team deserve the penalty not Lewis IMO. The driver needs to team to tell him when it's safe to go. Alonso wasn't going to give in either, glad Lewis had the sense not to push it.

Make the lollipop man run a lap?  Sit in a corner?

That's not a bad idea Jeri only I will expand. Make the offending lollipop man jog the start finish straight after the race wearing nothing but a tight fitting thong. Insentive to make the proper call??

Offline Dare

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 03:37:16 AM »
I think he should have been penalized too,I'm sure
he knew he was in the wrong and could have slowed
and let Alonso lead out of the pits.

It leaves a door open for drivers to risk lives knowing no
penality will be invoked.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 07:17:14 AM »
Ok punish the team for an unsafe release, but it was Lewis who drove the length of the pit lane with 2 tires over the line endangering crews all the way. A crew member has no chance of dodging an out of control car sliding through the pits. Just because racing is dangerous doesn't mean 4 or 5 people should be injured or killed to add to the spectacle. Risk is for the track, not the pits.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 08:58:17 AM »
By the time Lewis was alongside he knew Alonso was there, neither driver made any dangerous moves. This idea that 2 cars can't drive together at speed without crashing has obviously come about thanks to the Red Bulls recently! The only place a crash was likely to happen was when Lewis came out alongside Alonso. They both acted sensibly as far as I am concerned. Anyway, as was said previously if the FIA actually make a rule out of it then they must state that the driver in the pitlane will always have priority and the other car will have to drop back. However, what happens if there is a line of cars, say for example a driver is released like happened at the weekend. Alonso was to slow as was Hamilton until they sorted themselves out, now a car behind was able to close up on their position because of this reduction in speed. Now Lewis was released before the car behind Alonso but is he now going to have to stop and let the other car passed too? Also what happens if they are safely released but the engine bogs down and they pull away slowly, who is penalised then? You can't infinitely manage situations in racing. I guess the only way a lot of you guys will be happy is when we have no refuelling (check) and tyres that last all race to reduce danger to the pit crews during tyre stops!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 01:56:01 PM »
You can't infinitely manage situations in racing. I guess the only way a lot of you guys will be happy is when we have no refuelling (check) and tyres that last all race to reduce danger to the pit crews during tyre stops!

It is incumbant on any organisation to mitigate any obvious risks.  F1 is a dangerous sport, all the drivers and all the pit crew must understand that.  However, if F1 comes across as endangering the people along pit lane just to increase spectacle, there are serious legal consequences.  Don't forget that Frank Williams was charged with murder when Ayrton Senna died.  I would agree that was a racing incident, but there was a case to be made that Frank put winning ahead of safety. 

The FIA has already recognised that the pits are a dangerous place.  If they become lax and someone dies, there is a possibility of very serious legal action that could change the sport dramatically.

I want the entire experience to be as exciting as possible, and that element of risk does add to the spectacle.  However, I don't want to lose F1 so two guys can fight over 10 feet of concrete.

Offline greener_09

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 01:59:21 PM »
Never mind wheather lewis deserves a penalty i cant believe schumacher has got away scott free after his  over aggresive driving the entire race.

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 02:17:34 PM »
It is Schumacher you are talking about!  :D

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 02:34:22 PM »
You can't infinitely manage situations in racing. I guess the only way a lot of you guys will be happy is when we have no refuelling (check) and tyres that last all race to reduce danger to the pit crews during tyre stops!

It is incumbant on any organisation to mitigate any obvious risks.  F1 is a dangerous sport, all the drivers and all the pit crew must understand that.  However, if F1 comes across as endangering the people along pit lane just to increase spectacle, there are serious legal consequences.  Don't forget that Frank Williams was charged with murder when Ayrton Senna died.  I would agree that was a racing incident, but there was a case to be made that Frank put winning ahead of safety. 

The FIA has already recognised that the pits are a dangerous place.  If they become lax and someone dies, there is a possibility of very serious legal action that could change the sport dramatically.

I want the entire experience to be as exciting as possible, and that element of risk does add to the spectacle.  However, I don't want to lose F1 so two guys can fight over 10 feet of concrete.

OK, I think I have the final solution! We turn the pit garages round 90deg so that the cars come in the back of the pit garages. They then have to get their tyres changed in the garages, each car has its own space then. Then they can leave their garages and head for the pitlane exit where there is no people in danger. Like an exit to a toll booth! Might struggle to incorporate it in the confines of Monaco though!!

Ok more realistic one is to have 2 lane pitlanes, one fast lane at 60mph and one slower at 40mph. If you are stuck in the slower lane ie as Hamilton was, then Alonso would pass by until Hamilton could get into the outer lane and go at 60. Would mean the cars would also approach the crews at a slower rate and they would be released into a slower lane until they could check their mirrors and pull out into the faster lane.

Failing that we fit them all with a bit of plastic and brashes, install slots into the track and call it Scaletrix!! :D

Offline Scott

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 08:02:09 PM »
Here's another...let's take all the barriers down altogether.  Racing is inherently dangerous right?  Everyone knows that.  Ya takes yer chances when you buy that ticket, just like the pit crews, just like the drivers.  Why give the drivers all the adrenalin?  Why make it safer when we can make it more dangerous.

Seriously, there already is enough room for two cars to drive side by side down the lane, but it's extremely dangerous, and had someone been pitting ahead of those two and then been released, it could have been a three car massive crash.  Why should they hold until Alonso and Hamilton get by?  There is no point if there is no penalty.  Another scenario - someone was pitting ahead of them, and one of the team members who had not seen them coming and had his butt sticking out just a bit too far while he was changing the wheel - KAPOW!

As for the double pit lane speeds, could you imagine trying to police that?  Bad enough it takes the FIA 40 laps to figure out if someone was speeding at all, much less trying to sort out if another car was speeding in the slow lane.  Simplest rule would be that if a car that is released can't safely enter the proper pit lane, then he must slow and allow the other car to pass, then pull in behind. 

:DntKnw: :DntKnw:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 02:49:20 AM »
Exactly. Hamilton ended up behind Alonso anyway.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2010, 04:07:05 PM »
Actually Hamilton finished ahead of Alonso, I believe he won???!  :tease:

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2010, 07:16:52 PM »
I think Hamilton's release was unsafe but also unavoidable. The gap between Alonso's release and Hamilton's was so small that it would have been difficult to spot. The only reason anyone is complaining is because the gaps between the pits are so small at Montreal that coming out of the pits 2 team slots away would be within the recommended 55m, let alone 1!

Lewis shouldn't have had wheels in other teams' pit lanes and broke rules in putting them in the FIA's slot (oddly the only one for which a penalty can be issued), but the pit ane is not wide enough for two cars and since there was no way of making it so that only one at a time was there, what happened was inevitable.

It was entirely the FIA's foul-up and the FIA should pay any penaties due on this occasion.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Ian

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2010, 01:01:44 AM »
To add excitement the cars could use the pit crews as tenpins and go for a strike.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2010, 01:28:52 AM »
Actually Hamilton finished ahead of Alonso, I believe he won???!  :tease:
But when they reached the end of the pit lane, Lewis fell in behind Alonso, leading to an excellent pass a few laps later. :P

Lonny
Lonny

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2010, 08:09:14 AM »
 :good: :D

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle