collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 474
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Ten drivers handed post-race penalties  (Read 6530 times)

Offline Dare

Ten drivers handed post-race penalties
« on: June 27, 2010, 06:23:29 PM »
5 second penality.I wonder how they arrived at this figure

Ten drivers handed post-race penalties Jenson Button, Rubens Barrichello, Nico Hulkenberg, Robert Kubica, Vitaly Petrov, Adrian Sutil, Vitantonio Liuzzi, Sebastien Buemi and Pedro de la Rosa have all received penalties from the Valencia stewards for safety-car rule infringements.

All nine men will have five seconds added to their final race time for speeding under the safety car during their in-laps prior to pitting following Mark Webber’s dramatic crash in the early stages of the European Grand Prix.

In a separate incident, Timo Glock has had 20 seconds added to his race time for ignoring blue flags.

Official results from the FIA will follow.

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Ten drivers handed post-race penalties
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 07:08:03 PM »

Autosport reports it differently and says that the drivers were to slow, this is an axtract from their site.

The FIA has handed five-second penalties to nine Formula 1 drivers for a safety car rules breach during the European Grand Prix.

Jenson Button, Rubens Barrichello, Nico Hulkenberg, Robert Kubica, Vitaly Petrov, Adrian Sutil, Sebastien Buemi, Pedro de la Rosa and Vitantonio Liuzzi have been penalised for "failing to stay above the minimum time set by the FIA ECU when the Safety Car was deployed."

Either way I think that this is more about a technical infringement, hence the 5 seconds penalty. Either the lap they were on, before pitting, as a racing lap until the SC was called would have been too fast, or their stopping in the pits will have dropped their lap time on the out lap until they caught the train behind the safety car. It's unclear just what it is though so no wonder it took so long to sort out.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 07:11:37 PM »
I've seen where Pedro lost a point but
haven't seen a revise order of finish

Anyone find one post it.The future of
the world depends on it.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 07:16:16 PM »

To hear is to obey oh Great Dare.

From Autosport.com.

Updated results and standings:

Classified:

Pos  Driver        Team
 1.  Vettel        Red Bull-Renault
 2.  Hamilton      McLaren-Mercedes
 3.  Button        McLaren-Mercedes
 4.  Barrichello   Williams-Cosworth
 5.  Kubica        Renault
 6.  Sutil         Force India-Mercedes
 7.  Kobayashi     Sauber-Ferrari
 8.  Alonso        Ferrari
 9.  Buemi         Toro Rosso-Ferrari
10.  Rosberg       Mercedes
11.  Massa         Ferrari
12.  De la Rosa    Sauber-Ferrari
13.  Alguersuari   Toro Rosso-Ferrari
14.  Petrov        Renault
15.  Schumacher    Mercedes
16.  Liuzzi        Force India-Mercedes
17.  Di Grassi     Virgin-Cosworth
18.  Chandhok      HRT-Cosworth
19.  Glock         Virgin-Cosworth
20.  Senna         HRT-Cosworth
21.  Trulli        Lotus-Cosworth

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 07:24:59 PM »
Oh please, oh please GREAT FIA OFFICIALS IN THE SKY

Explain in plain english to me why 10 drivers get 5 seconds and Hamilton gets a drive through?

Oh wait, I figured out how you determine penalties and such and I'm now going to be the spoiler and reveal your super-secret way of handling just about any penalties lately....

Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 09:36:35 PM »
5 second penality.I wonder how they arrived at this figure {dare - original post}

Not by looking at their own regulations, that's certain!
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 09:47:42 PM »
Either way I think that this is more about a technical infringement, hence the 5 seconds penalty. Either the lap they were on, before pitting, as a racing lap until the SC was called would have been too fast, or their stopping in the pits will have dropped their lap time on the out lap until they caught the train behind the safety car. It's unclear just what it is though so no wonder it took so long to sort out. {John S - 5 posts ago}

In the former case, the FIA must have miscalculated its delta time, in which case, no penalty should have been issued at all. In the latter case, the wording of the penalty would have been for a differently-worded offence. Either way, there should not have needed to be much debate at all.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Hampster

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 10:35:43 PM »
this must p*ss ferrari off even more. Fantastic

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 03:28:08 AM »
whatever, but congratulations to Hamilton and McLAREN for finding a new racing strategy:

pass the b safety car every time you figure it will be deployed for many continuous laps, and take the lesser hit of a drive-through penalty

b brilliant!

so next time expect to see all drivers passing the safety car to get into the pits as soon as they can

FIA stewards you are so f useless!
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Dare

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 04:29:49 AM »
If the FIA would act like a major racing
organization instead of a bunch of guys
getting together for a weekend of racing
we wouldn't be having these discussions

1  Make up a set of rules and penalties
    that can be understood and stick to them

2  Hire and train impartial stewards to see
    all obey the rules

3  Have a panel to monitor the FIA officials and
    stewards and if their caught cheating or
    showing favoritism remove them with no
    questions asked

Bring some respect to the sport!it gets worse every year

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 05:38:38 AM »
SennaMan & Dare

Well said. Absolutely spot on.
 :good: :good: :good:
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 06:06:30 AM »
SennaMan & Dare

Well said. Absolutely spot on.
 :good: :good: :good:

thanks mate, like Dare I'm just wanting consistency even if we cannot have wisdom!
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 08:08:00 AM »
Part of the reason they are not consistent is that the stewards are different at each race. Button et all were penalized for going too fast to get back to the pits during the Safety car period. Whiting sets a minimum time, meaning you have to be slower than the minimum. Hamilton was penalized for passing the safety car as it exited the pits. As in most of his mistakes, it was painfully obvious. As the safety car came out of the pits, he slowed as if he was going to fall in behind it, then suddenly accelerated away from it. Dumb. But, it takes so long for the stewards to make a ruling that he was able to open a big enough gap to stay ahead of Kobie and Button despite the drive through. NASCAR does it much better, one man makes the call, he makes it quickly and in all likelihood Louis would have been sent to the back of the line before the green flag waved again. Of course, in NASCAR, that would not guarantee a useless finish. I think the others were penalized 5 seconds because the rule is a bit obscure and that produced the least change in the result of anything they could do.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Monty

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 11:27:33 AM »
whatever, but congratulations to Hamilton and McLAREN for finding a new racing strategy:

pass the b safety car every time you figure it will be deployed for many continuous laps, and take the lesser hit of a drive-through penalty

I can't agree. I have never driven wearing a Hans Device but when I drove single seaters there was zero visability at 90degress to straight ahead. Hamilton had seen the Safety Car accelerating out of the pits but his speed was far higher so he was alongside the safety car in a blink of an eye. He then had to make a split second decision if he was in front or behind the Safety car as they crossed the Safety Car line. This would be impossible for him to know because he simply would not be able to see.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 12:12:23 PM »

I can't agree. I have never driven wearing a Hans Device but when I drove single seaters there was zero visability at 90degress to straight ahead. Hamilton had seen the Safety Car accelerating out of the pits but his speed was far higher so he was alongside the safety car in a blink of an eye. He then had to make a split second decision if he was in front or behind the Safety car as they crossed the Safety Car line. This would be impossible for him to know because he simply would not be able to see.

Very good point you make Monty which gives a fresh view about what happened. :good: 

I would like to add that the claim from Ferrari that Lewis was backing up the others can be explained by his need to stay within the delta time set under the SC rule.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle