collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 340
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Will overtakes increase on new Silverstone layout?  (Read 1542 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Will overtakes increase on new Silverstone layout?
« on: July 08, 2010, 11:36:33 AM »

The answer appears to be yes according to the Renault boys in this article from pitpass.com. I'm sure we are all keeping our fingers crossed that they are right, however I am not encouraged by the turn 11, heavy car, reference. - Ooh, I just can't wait for the action to start. :yahoo:

The motivation behind the Silverstone facelift was to encourage overtaking and improve the show. So, can the simulations tell us whether the new arena section has hit the sweet spot? "On paper it certainly looks like there could be a couple of overtaking opportunities," says Alan Permane, Renault Chief Race Engineer. "Turn 16 is a good opportunity because there is a long drag from the low-speed turn 14, and turn 15 will be taken easily flat out. Turn 13 is also a possibility for overtaking, but it will depend how closely the cars can follow each other through turn 11 because turn 12 will be another flat-out corner. We expect turn 11 to be flat out on low fuel, but far more challenging with a heavy car."

So what impact will the five new corners have on the car's set-up this weekend? "In terms of downforce levels, it's difficult to make a comparison with last year because the car has evolved so much, but we're not expecting a massive change to the set-up," says Alan . "Our simulations show the average speed will be slightly higher at 230 km/h compared to 227 km/h in 2009, and the percentage of the lap spent at full throttle has also increased from 69% to 70%."

The simulation work carried out by the Renault team has also shown up the extra demands on the brakes compared to 2009. Although the percentage of the lap spent braking has reduced by 0.3%, the energy going through the braking system will be 2.3kW greater on the new layout with the big stops into turns 13 and 16.

Yet, no matter how accurate your simulations, there are some things they simply can't predict. Variables such as grip levels, bumps in the road and kerb characteristics cannot be known until the cars take to the track, so the simulations rely on average values. Likewise, the finer details set-up comes down to driver feel and there's no computer programme in the world that even comes close to an F1 driver's brain. So while our simulation tools set us on the right path, the real work will begin when practice starts on Friday morning.

Pitpass.com, Today.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Will overtakes increase on new Silverstone layout?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 01:39:00 AM »
I would be surprised if there is a lot of overtaking. I think the drivers are conditioned to think passing is too difficult  so they rarely even give it a go.

Lonny
Lonny

Online Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 02:32:56 AM »
I would be surprised if there is a lot of overtaking. I think the drivers are conditioned to think passing is too difficult  so they rarely even give it a go.

Lonny

Some of the kids have absolutely no fear trying to make 'unconventional' passes.  I hope their engineers and principles don't calm them down any time soon!

Offline Hampster

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 05:38:21 PM »
well now the race has been run, i thought there was a big increase in overtaking, and it made the race at Silverstone loads better  :good:

Online cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 08:14:02 PM »
I'm with you, Hampster. I think it's an improvement without losing the spirit of the track. It's good that Silverstone has a lock on the race for the next decade!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 04:25:12 AM »
I'm with you, Hampster. I think it's an improvement without losing the spirit of the track. It's good that Silverstone has a lock on the race for the next decade!

so true you guys - being the first track to host a F1 GP way back in 1950, Silverstone is the spiritual home of F1...

...and it is a brilliant race track.
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 04:49:15 AM »
Being an "Old Fart", I have a preference for the original layout, but it would be blindingly fast today. That said, the new layout seems quite good and they have eliminated the stupid chicane. I hate chicanes.

Lonny
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle