collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 340
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Peter Sauber on his 40 years in Motorsport  (Read 6007 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Peter Sauber on his 40 years in Motorsport
« on: July 15, 2010, 01:18:09 PM »

To celebrate his 40 years in motorsport Peter Sauber took part in a Q & A session with Autosport magazine, it is well worth a read.

I really love his answer to the question why build sportscars in Switzerland when it doesn't make economic sense, his reply "But luckily the sensible approach doesn't always win the day", that's a true F1 guy. :good:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85276

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
Re: Peter Sauber on his 40 years in Motorsport
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 06:47:56 PM »

More informative facts about Peter, very interesting to learn that both times he has put Sauber on the grid in F1 it's been part funded by a manufacturer pulling out. Good find Cos.

That looks like a young Michael Schumacher along with Peter, Heinz Harold Frentzen, and a driver I don't recognise, in photo 9 in the F1SA gallery at the foot of the article.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 08:53:31 PM »
I think that's Karl Wendlinger. The three of them drove the C11 in 1990. Here they are in color.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 02:57:48 AM »
Always interesting to me, at this time with Sauber Michael was rarely the fastest of the three. Many people think if Frentzen had could have secured a top level ride he might have given Michael a run for his money in F1. Sadly we will never know, as he never got the kind of team around him that Schumy did.

Lonny
Lonny

Online Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 12:40:50 PM »
Always interesting to me, at this time with Sauber Michael was rarely the fastest of the three. Many people think if Frentzen had could have secured a top level ride he might have given Michael a run for his money in F1. Sadly we will never know, as he never got the kind of team around him that Schumy did.

Lonny

Frentzen finished a distant second in the WDC in 1997 to Jacques Villeneueve.  Driving the same car as the champion seems about as good as you can get.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 08:38:12 PM »

Lonny

Frentzen finished a distant second in the WDC in 1997 to Jacques Villeneueve.  Driving the same car as the champion seems about as good as you can get.

Right on Jeri it was the car of the season, Williams took the constructers title as well.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 12:59:32 AM »
JV had already been with the team, driving the car for a full season, while Frentzen was new to the team and the car. The fact that Williams took the WCC would seem to indicate that Frentzen had some good finishes as well. And I always thought that most of the goodness of the car was a residule of all the work Damon Hill did on the cars of the previous years. Sorry Jeri, JV's years after this WDC left me unimpressed.

Lonny
Lonny

Online Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 12:24:08 PM »
JV had already been with the team, driving the car for a full season, while Frentzen was new to the team and the car. The fact that Williams took the WCC would seem to indicate that Frentzen had some good finishes as well. And I always thought that most of the goodness of the car was a residule of all the work Damon Hill did on the cars of the previous years. Sorry Jeri, JV's years after this WDC left me unimpressed.

Lonny

I'm not going to debate Villeneuve's place in history (especially not in a Sauber thread), just pointing out Frentzen had the opportunity to win.  (With unlimited testing, and the best car on the grid, the 'new to the team' argument holds no water.  JV almost won his very first race/championship in the Williams the previous season.)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 03:04:43 AM »
OK I will drop this. Just saying Frentzen never had the kind of situation Michael fell into almost immediately. And big time sports car driving requires a slightly different skill set. And for me Frentzen might be a little under rated

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 08:22:20 AM »
Methinks so is Heidfeld.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 12:56:16 PM »
OK I will drop this. Just saying Frentzen never had the kind of situation Michael fell into almost immediately. And big time sports car driving requires a slightly different skill set. And for me Frentzen might be a little under rated

Lonny

I think it shows how hard it really is to win a championship... the right skills, the right car, the right team... and then a pile of luck.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle