collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 573
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Roy Rogers Auction  (Read 2771 times)

Offline cosworth151

Roy Rogers Auction
« on: July 14, 2010, 01:14:45 PM »
If you grew up in the States between the 1940's and early 1960's, you remember Roy rogers and Dale Evans. Roy was The King of the Cowboy, who rode his trusty wonder horse Trigger. The were accompanied by Bullet, the Wonder Dog.

Roy and Dale died years ago. Now, there family has closed their museum and is auctioning off the contents. The item drawing the most interest?

Trigger, the Wonder Horse.   Stuffed.

So is Bullet.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128494396

Roy made over 100 movies and had a long running TV show. I went to the original museum, in California, back in the 90's. It was later moved to Branson, Missouri.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Roy Rogers Auction
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 06:52:25 PM »
Sadly today's kids are not interested in heroes like Roy Rogers. They've been exposed to too many "realistic" flawed heroes. Interest in him had dropped to the point that the museum could not support itself. I'm rather surprized that there is any interest in Trigger. Roy was right at the top of my childhood list, I watched every Saturday morning. The passing of an era.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 07:31:13 PM »
I went to the museum when it was in its original home in Apple Valley, California. One of my favorite parts was that Roy ha set up an entire room, with a brief film, dedicated to sidekicks. Gabby Hayes, Fuzzy St. John, Pat Brady, Andy Devine, Festus (Ken Curtis) and all the rest.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 02:36:01 AM »
Trigger sold for$266,500 and Bullit for $35,000

For Lonnie and Cos,remember this Rogers song
from Smoky and the Bandit 2

http://www.popjunkie.com/mp3s/bandit2/SmokeyAndTheBandit2-04RideConcreteCowboyRide.mp3

Remember Lawman,Rifleman,Bonanza,etc?where have
the westerns gone to
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 05:06:02 PM by Dare »
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 03:16:23 AM »
Thanks Dare! Those old westerns were really morality plays. The good guys like Roy would rather die than do anything bad or dishonorable. Nobody believes in people like that anymore. Too bad. We're the worse for it.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 11:46:04 AM »

the westerns gone to

In the US you are having to live down your Imperialist & racist past deeds against the indigenous native tribes (cor that's a mouthful ain't it), just as we in the UK have to do for our conquests around the world. An awful lot of the old style westerns featured hostile or downtrodden Injuns in some way, now a no-no I should think unless you stick ridgedly to historical fact.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 12:29:25 PM »
Many of the classic westerns were also updated versions of the knight-errant tales. The hero would ride into town, rescue the good, punish the evil and move on. The Lone Ranger, Cheyenne, Bronco, Paladin (Have Gun, Will Travel) and even Jim West and Artemus Gordon were of this type.

These same stories were later updated again, with cars (or motorcycles) replacing the horses. Route 66, Then Came Bronson, Movin' On, Knight Rider and The A Team are examples.

Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper meant for Easy Rider to be a western. Their characters names were Wyatt and Billy. Peter Fonda even wears spurs on his cycle boots.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 01:41:44 PM »
Many of the classic westerns were also updated versions of the knight-errant tales. The hero would ride into town, rescue the good, punish the evil and move on. The Lone Ranger, Cheyenne, Bronco, Paladin (Have Gun, Will Travel) and even Jim West and Artemus Gordon were of this type.

These same stories were later updated again, with cars (or motorcycles) replacing the horses. Route 66, Then Came Bronson, Movin' On, Knight Rider and The A Team are examples.

Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper meant for Easy Rider to be a western. Their characters names were Wyatt and Billy. Peter Fonda even wears spurs on his cycle boots.

Which have now been supplanted by the likes of Batman, Spider-Man and Iron Man.  (Hey, Iron Man even has a suit of armour.)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 01:46:52 PM »
They'd be more along the lines of Gunsmoke or Bonanza. Matt Dillon was always in Dodge City, Batman's always in Gotham City. I was thinking more of the stranger who arrives, makes things right and leaves.

Maybe more of a James Bond.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 05:15:51 PM »

the westerns gone to

In the US you are having to live down your Imperialist & racist past deeds against the indigenous native tribes (cor that's a mouthful ain't it), just as we in the UK have to do for our conquests around the world. An awful lot of the old style westerns featured hostile or downtrodden Injuns in some way, now a no-no I should think unless you stick ridgedly to historical fact.

In the late 50's there was a tv series about confederate
raider Col Mosby called the Gray Ghost[I'm sure Cos
and Lonnie remember it]it was a big hit with the viewer
but showed the south in a favorable view,lost its sponsors
and was cancelled.

This nation has always been a little uncomfortable about
certain subjects and doesn't like to be reminded of our sordid past
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 02:37:33 AM »
it has become politically correct to say that the civil war was all about slavery and that the Confederate Flag is a racist symbol. If it were possible to talk to Rebels I think you would find they had a variety of reasons for fighting. Most of the foot soldiers were not slave holders. Whatever the motivation was it took monster courage to stand up at Gettysburg and charge uphill half a mile or so with 50 caliber guns blazing away at you. My hats off to vets on either side. :good:

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Dare

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 02:47:23 AM »
Slavery was a small reason for the Civil War.One
major reason was the right of the southern states to succeed
from the US.

On a happier note It must have took a special breed person to
leave the east and travel by wagon train to a
uncertain future of the west.My hat is off to them.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 12:16:39 PM »
But the reason they wanted to secede was to keep slavery. That's why only the slave states seceded.

I agree about the pioneers. Pulling up stakes and moving into an unknown wilderness took a special kind of courage.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 12:39:11 PM »
But the reason they wanted to secede was to keep slavery. That's why only the slave states seceded.

I agree about the pioneers. Pulling up stakes and moving into an unknown wilderness took a special kind of courage.

I learned quite a lot about this when visiting Washington earlier this year.  It wasn't the act of owning people they wished to preserve, but rather the value of production:  the entire stock of slaves was worth BILLIONS of dollars, in 1850s money... that is to say the population of slaves had more monetary value than the rest of the assets in the USA together.  The slave states were angry at the prospect of having to give up their investment without fair compensation.

(Not to suggest they were right... but just put things in a new perspective for me)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 01:50:56 AM »
Wow Jeri! I've spent a lot of time studying the Civil War, and I confess I never considered the financial aspects of freeing the slaves. Thanks.

Lonny
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle