collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 350
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Schumacher: The Lunatic  (Read 12992 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Schumacher: The Lunatic
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2010, 01:43:17 PM »

I actually blame this win-at-all-costs nonesense on my hero ayrton SENNA, who twice pulled identical moves on his team mate PROST, and I have always thought in a lot of ways, michael SCHUMACHER modelled himself on ayrton.

However, SENNA unlike SCHUMACHER had an engaging and charismatic personality and people all over the world loved him, even those who had no interest in F1.

So it's ok to pull strong arm tactics on other drivers if you have an engaging personality and the public love you, what tosh, this is motor racing we are discussing not an episode of an 'F1's got talent' show.

nah John I did not say that  - dirt is dirt and dangerous moves are dangerous moves -  and please stop putting words into my mouth and making up a false 'strawman' for you to easily shoot down
  :P

Sennaman my reading of your post about Schumi modelling himself on Senna has the first and second paragraphs clearly linked by the word 'However', this appears to excuse Senna's exploits by virtue of his chrarisma, which prompted my response.

So  :P right back to you.

On the subject of Senna's exploits I offer this vid of a similar Schumi/Rubens move by Senna on Prost down the straight in Portugal, the main action is at about 1.30 mins.
 No penalties were even considered or indeed expected.  I think you may have to view the vid by clicking through to youtube, but it should work.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 01:59:49 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline aazz

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2010, 04:34:01 PM »
I have never been a big fan of Schumacher, but I didn't mind him before he retired. When he announced his comeback I was looking foward to seeing him race again and after each race this year I was thinking he wasn't too bad and I was starting to like him a bit. My attitude has changed after Hungary mainly because of his attitude after the race when questioned about the passing move. His apology sounds like it was written by Mercedes PR to calm the storm a bit. He is one driver I won't mind seeing struggle out of the points for the rest of the season.
I can't think of anything to write here.

Offline Scott

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2010, 05:47:54 PM »
He was almost black flagged according to Warwick...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85838
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Williamsfan

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2010, 08:33:22 PM »
Warwick seemed a sincere guy in his pre-race interview on the BBC so I am hoping this is a genuine comment as opposed to one to appease race fans.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2010, 09:21:11 PM »
Move him to NASCAR.  This kind of stuff is encouraged under the current leadership.

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2010, 02:00:31 AM »

thanks for the vid John - there is another far more blatant move SENNA put on PROST but right now I cannot remember where it was. It went on far longer than the one you have dug out and it created a furore at the time too.

When I saw what MS did to RB last Sunday, it immediately reminded me of SENNA's dangerous moves on PROST and that is why I mentioned it in my post.

Now in relation to the word "However", I used it to link and transition the thought of the previous sentence:

"and I have always thought in a lot of ways, michael SCHUMACHER modelled himself on ayrton.

However, SENNA unlike SCHUMACHER had an engaging and charismatic personality and people all over the world loved him, even those who had no interest in F1."

What I meant, [and perhaps I should have expanded and rewritten exactly this or used another conjunction like "nevertheless], was that, in contrast to ayrton, MS did not have the charm to fully pull off copying him and consequently never enjoyed the warm affection people had for AS.

...now I must research that other more dangerous move of SENNA!
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Scott

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2010, 02:43:53 PM »

On the subject of Senna's exploits I offer this vid of a similar Schumi/Rubens move by Senna on Prost down the straight in Portugal, the main action is at about 1.30 mins.
 No penalties were even considered or indeed expected.  I think you may have to view the vid by clicking through to youtube, but it should work.

Sorry John, no comparison.  Prost's tires never came off the track, nor did they get close enough to the wall for a seriously scary moment like Rubens had.  Senna gave enough room, while Schumacher didn't.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2010, 07:55:55 AM »
Need to find video of what Senna did to Prost at Suzuka when the Championship was on the line. >:(

Lonny
Lonny

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2010, 09:05:06 AM »
That video is irrelevant anyway (Suuzuka one) as Senna had complained about the side of the track pole was on before the race and said that if Prost was alongside him or in front he would take him out. Everyone knew it was going to happen, the stewards took no action to prevent it. Nor did they do anything after the race, I seem to recall Senna stopping to help a crashed driver. Very different times then to now. It's all about safety nowadays and what Schumacher did was anything but.

Equally are we really going to defend Schumacher after Hill 94, Villeneuve 97 never mind the countless other times he pushed people around the track including his own brother in I think it was 99?! There was a reason Vettel's move on Alonso at Germany was called a Schumacher-esq move!

Schumacher is a thug, only now he is one with no talent. He will never ever be half the man Senna was and I didn't even support Senna. Through his actions throughout his career he has proved to be classless and arrogant. He could have been the greatest but with the overaggressive antics and his tendency to cheat, which he has shown throughout his career, he will never be anything other than statistically the best. He will never be consider by the majority to be the best.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2010, 05:17:13 PM »
I don't ever defend Schumacher, he's very low on my list. I just feel that Senna's no better.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2010, 07:17:37 PM »
He will always be better because he is dead, thats hat happens when people die, they become legends. But then equally Senna beat his team-mates without team orders or superior equipment and beat arguably everyone in the last great era of F1 drivers so he is more impressive. Whereas Schumacher only started getting poles when Senna died and made sure he was number one.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle