collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 434
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Lotus Racing F1 factory tour  (Read 14662 times)

Offline Wizzo

Lotus Racing F1 factory tour
« on: August 05, 2010, 04:48:17 PM »
Summary of my trip to Lotus Racing F1 factory

The Lotus factory is located in deepest darkest Norfolk which is as far cry from the ‘F1 corridor’ near Silverstone.  The factory itself is located on a small industrial estate and looks pretty plain apart from the words Lotus Racing on the side wall. I thought it odd as I walked through the car park that not one member of staff seemed to actually own a Lotus sports car (surely they get a discount?) even though there were several Porsche Boxsters around.

The reception itself was big enough to fit Jim Clarks 1965 winning race car in and I took great pride in touching his seat and steering wheel. As I bent down to look at the very basic instrument panel I got a sudden whiff of petrol and oil – lovely. A very nostalgic moment for me.

All cameras and mobile phones are banned inside the factory but Mable (my guide) promised to take a picture and email it to me (see below). The tour itself started with a trip to the board room where I was greeted with a Lotus Racing energy drink!?! (very Red Bull) and a short video explain how and why Lotus were venturing back into F1.
The main thing that staggered me about the video was the fact that at the end of last year Lotus Racing had 4 members of staff and only 5 months in which to get a qualified team together, design, build and test a fully fledged F1 car! A feat that even they admitted was probably impossible, but they succeeded none the less.

I was then led into the very quiet design room where as you can imagine a large team of youngish looking fellas were all hunched over and starring hard at their computer screens. Mable explained that they rented a wind tunnel in Italy of all places and they have the parts made and tested there with the results sent back so they can make adjustments. A far cry indeed from the likes of McLaren.

After showing me a few subtle changes to the front end fences the tour continued to the body shop where they were preparing a race tub. The gold plated insulation was clearly visible around the back of the driver’s seat and I had a good nose around, even in the fuel tank! Again another shocking fact – Lotus actually paint their cars! What’s so bad about that? You pick up a tin of paint and tell me how much it weighs – in F1 terms, a lot. Lotus simply didn’t have the time or money to have their cars ‘film wrapped’ like the other teams do.

Onto the car bays where the cars are put together and worked on etc. 3 bays in total, 1 each for Trulli and Kova and a spare (for me?). Two brand new Cosworth V8’s sat waiting to be fired into life but alas this wasn’t going to happen today. The cost of each engine is £175,000 pounds so I walked gingerly around them and tried not to knock them off their stands.

Next was Trulli’s race gearbox complete with FIA seals to ensure no tampering would take place before the next race. I spoke to Trulli’s chief engineer who informed me that this was an ‘off the shelf gearbox’ and was much bigger and heavier than they would like. This size issue runs right down to the shape of the rear end of the car thus affecting aero dynamics, something they are looking to address.

The tour continued to the parts and trim centres and it amazes me that just about everything is made on site with over 6,000 parts going onto the car, not including the engine. The two racing green Lotus trucks were parked outside and we had a quick look at the inside of these. Impressive as always, these high- tec workshops on wheels would put most garages to shame.

I had some brief chats with other members of staff and a final meeting with Graham Watson the Team Manager and my tour was nearly over. I cheekily asked ‘So how do I get invited to a GP with Lotus?’ and I was told to get my company to sponsor the rear wing and I can go to all the GP’s I want! After saying my goodbyes I was handed a generous Lotus F1 goody bag.

The Lotus factory had a very relaxed and happy feel about it and I’m sure many teams are much more regimented, but this is not always necessarily a good thing. 

A lot of people have said that Lotus has come back to F1 and their performance has been disappointing so far. I strongly disagree. Lotus had 5 months in which to design and build an F1 car with limited money and resources, and against all the odds they done it. They are now concentrating completely on the 2011 car and no further improvements will be made to the current car. There were so many obvious things as to why their car is slower than the rest, the paint job, major parts are made of titanium rather than carbon fibre, the stock gearbox to name but a few.

The top teams try to find a few tenths of a second be tweaking this and adjusting that but Lotus can change their wishbones for carbon fibre ones and they will improve their time guaranteed. One thing is for sure, Lotus has a long way to go but they also have a long list of things that will improve their car.

I honestly think they can do it, and hopefully, with some more time and money they will be worrying the mid range teams next year.

If anyone can, Lotus can.

Thank you Lotus for a fantastic and informative insight into what goes on behind the scenes.  :good:

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Neil.P

Re: Lotus Racing F1 factory tour
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 05:07:08 PM »
That's nice wizzo, glad you enjoyed your trip.

Neil.P

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 05:26:38 PM »
I really envy your contact with the '65 Indy car. I've seen the '64 at the IMS museum, but the '65 is light years better. The tour sounds interesting as well. I agree that Lotus has done a good job so far, let's hope that next year they can battle for points!

Lonny
Lonny

Offline PG_Gabriel

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 07:34:56 PM »
Very Cool  :good: How did you get the chance to get the tour?

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 08:47:28 PM »
Wow - fantastic Wiz.  You sound like you had a really memorable time, and your review for us was so descriptive, it helped me imagine the place.

So when are you sending over the stickers for the rear wing?   ;) ;)
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

David

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 09:07:28 PM »
Cool Wiz, sounds like you had a ball mate, and great for us to get an insight to what's going on inside Lotus. No doubt they have a new fan.

As for the secret of you admission to such an F1 Mecca? All hail the power of the Wiz!!  ;)

Offline Dare

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 11:44:09 PM »
nice reporting job[watch out Ali]and you look
spiffy in yjour green shirt and jeans
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 12:53:22 AM »
Fantastic journey.

You're right, the team seems to be in great hands.

I think given the recent improvements for Williams, and the obvious limitations of a quickly made Lotus, the Cosworth Engine is at least on par with the 'big boys'.

Hope to see Lotus joining the big boys soon.  Can't have enough winning cars!

Offline Ian

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 08:56:52 AM »
Wiz, sorry mate but I can't post what Mrs Lisa said when she saw your pic, you'd never get out of the door.  :DD
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 10:57:36 AM »
Did she say 'who's that thin bloke spoiling the view of the Lotus?'  :DD

It was a great day and very informative, and yes, they do have a new fan!

By the way I was interested to see that Lotus Racing are now following GPWizard on Twitter.  :good:
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 11:30:18 AM »

Sounds like you had agreat day Wizzo, I hope they didn't make you empty your pockets before you left.  ;)

Thanks for your informative piece about your tour,  :good:  it explains a lot more than I have heard from anyone in the madia about why Lotus, and presumably the other new teams, are really in a different league at the moment to the established outfits. The good thing is, as you rightly point out, there are great possibilities for them in the next couple of years.  :yahoo:

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 12:47:22 PM »
Way cool. Wizzo!  :good:

Thanks for the report on your trip. We're all Lotus green with envy. If I had known, I'd have slipped you a spy cam from the Cosworth Camera Collection.  ;)

I hope they can find proper sponsorship. They are certainly at the head of this year's freshman class. (And, they've got the best engines!)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

David

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 12:51:32 PM »

By the way I was interested to see that Lotus Racing are now following GPWizard on Twitter.  :good:

Now that is cool.  :yahoo:

Offline Ian

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 12:53:40 PM »
Sorry Wiz, forgot to add, great report, I enjoyed reading it.  :good:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 04:13:38 AM »
thanks Wiz for a fascinating insight into LOTUS

I have far more respect for them now and look forward to their improvements really making a difference race-wise in 2011 and hopefully beyond.
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle