collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 149
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16156 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11273 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Race Car Driver Sues For Title Of Stolen Rare Ferrari  (Read 2059 times)

Online Dare

Race Car Driver Sues For Title Of Stolen Rare Ferrari
« on: August 12, 2010, 06:47:56 PM »

by Ann Thompson

August 12, 2010

Courtesy of Daniel Randolph The Ferrari 375 Plus during its heyday.
text size A A A August 12, 2010 from WVXU An Ohio judge could decide as early as Thursday whether a Belgian race car driver and collector has any rights to one of the world's rarest of race cars or whether it belongs to a Cincinnati woman whose father first bought it in the 1950s.

Right now, collector Jacques Swaters has possession of the 1954 Ferrari 375 Plus — which could be worth as much as $15 million. But Karl Kleve's family has the title and spare parts to it in Cincinnati.

Swaters, 84, says he restored it from a burned-out shell. It's now a shiny red one-seat convertible with lots of chrome.

"Oh, I've done a terrific job on the car," he said. "We've been working for many, many years to restore the car.

The company made only six of them, and just four of them are thought to still exist. In its time, the Ferrari 375 Plus was the fastest car on the track.

Kleve's daughter, Kristi Kleve Lawson, says the car was stored outdoors in a Cincinnati lot with a hundred other old cars. She says her dad knew the car was valuable when he bought it in 1958 for $25,000.

Courtesy of Michael Hirschfeld
Jacques Swaters looks over the shell of the car when he bought it in 1990.

Courtesy of Michael Hirschfeld Jacques Swaters looks over the shell of the car when he bought it in 1990.
"He collected Duesenbergs; he collected Rolls-Royces. I know he had at least a dozen," she says.

In 1988, Kleve discovered the Ferrari was stolen. Two Cincinnati men were later convicted of the crime, but the car had disappeared. Lawson says her dad searched for it for years, eventually tracking it down in Belgium.

This is where the case gets a little more complicated. Lawson says Interpol got involved and convinced Belgium authorities that the car was stolen. She says it was eventually released to Swaters.

But Swaters tells a different story: He says in 1990 a trader sold it to him for $100,000.

"I was very interested because it was a very famous car," he says, "and then a little later I learned the car had been stolen, so I charged a lawyer to negotiate with the owner to make a settlement."

Swaters says he paid Kleve more than $600,000 for the car, and that Kleve cashed the check. Kleve's daughter says her father never received any money, and if Swaters has a canceled check, her dad's signature must have been forged. She says finding the car had become an obsession for him.

"This was his biggest project," she says. "By the time he passed away, he said this was the greatest auto theft that had ever occurred.

Courtesy of Michael Hirschfeld The Ferrari following extensive restoration.
Lawson's attorney Daniel Randolph says Swaters' lawsuit, which accuses Lawson of failing to transfer the title to him, should be dismissed.

"We think it's not only unfair; we think it's a case of a person who's alleged to have millions and millions of dollars taking an anvil and trying to go after a Hamilton County resident," he says. "Kristi works two jobs to help her family continue to function as a family."

Cincinnati judge Norbert Nadel will decide whether the statute of limitations has run out in the case and if this very famous and valuable car must be returned to Ohio.

Ann Thompson reports for member station WVXU in Cincinnati.

same story with pictures

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129138503&ft=1&f=1001

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

Re: Race Car Driver Sues For Title Of Stolen Rare Ferrari
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 12:38:11 PM »
I just heard that story on NPR. Cincinnati is almost exactly half way between Dare & I.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Dare

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 08:08:17 PM »
He buys a burnt out shell and restores it at great cost
and now she wants it back,don't seem right to me.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 08:31:22 PM by Dare »
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 08:16:19 PM »
He buys a burnt out shell and restores it at graet cost
and now she wants it back,don't seem right to me.

Depends if she knew the state of the car before she asked for it back.  It sounds like it had been a long ongoing search, dating from the car being a burned out shell.

However, I suggest that the car be ordered returned in 'original condition'.  Surely both parties will find a way to settle, rather than let the car be destroyed.  Again.

Or let me have it. 

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 08:22:05 PM »
I'd say Swater's story is suspect.  Why would the Kleve's sell the car without the title and spare parts???  Seems to me that if Swater made a settlement of $600k, he might like to have the title and spare parts.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Dare

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 08:32:47 PM »
I wonder what happened that the family once
owned numerous valuable cars and now she has
to work two jobs

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 09:09:53 PM »
I wonder what happened that the family once
owned numerous valuable cars and now she has
to work two jobs

Gambling?

Drugs?

Invested in USF1?  (Maybe that's when they discovered the car was missing!  "Where's that prototype at?")

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 09:25:07 PM »
Kids caught speeding in Switzerland?   :P :P
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 05:10:01 PM »
How do you make a small fortune in car collecting?

Start with a large fortune!  ;)

I'm sure that I've spent far more on my "valuable" cars than I have on drinking, drugs, gambling, food, shelter............  :crazy:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 04:23:20 AM »
Cars like this do not change hands so casually. If you were paying $600K for a 1 of a kind Ferrari, wouldn't you want some sort of receipt? Swater at the very least has a canceled check somewhere. This sounds like he bought a stolen car, knowing something was fishy. Now he hopes if he creates enough doubt, the courts will let him keep it. Just smells to me.

Lonny
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle