collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 368
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Stuff the clampers  (Read 1717 times)

Offline Ian

Stuff the clampers
« on: August 17, 2010, 09:00:34 AM »

An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

Re: Stuff the clampers
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 01:19:25 PM »
Good man!  :yahoo:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Andy B

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »
Why is it taking so long to get this sort of victimisation dealt with how many other people have been ripped off by rouge clampers :DntKnw:
Its good that this man stood his groung. :good:
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 03:41:57 PM »

I have some sympathy for those who get clamped as there is no legal structure for the charges imposed and this case does seem over the top in that respect. However I think the last photo with the article seems to show a sign right behind where the chap has parked, what's the betting that's about the no park rules.

If you have ever worked at a building in a town centre with allocated parking only for authourised users and saw the trouble myself and colleagues got from the public trying it on by using the spaces, when clearly it had large signs warning it was private parking and had clamping, you would not be so keen to take this mans side.

I personally have never been clamped and the reason is I take care where I park. I've had parking fines though because some other prat was occupying my parking spot, so I wonder just how the man in this story would react if I parked my car on the drive to his house and then just told him it was hard cheese.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 05:11:24 PM »
In Ontario when rush hour starts there are teams of towtrucks and parking enforcement officers going down the 'no stopping' streets.  They ticket the car and tow it around the corner.  There is usually a towing charge on top of the ticket, but more in line with $75-100, not $400 fines like in that story. 

The clamps are stupid - it's not as if they actually make the no-parking space free, they just make it more difficult for the driver to move his car.  Seems much more practical to do it the Canadian way.

If you have a no parking sign on private property, then it reverts to the landowner to call a tow truck and have it removed.  Still no clamps.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 05:34:19 PM »
In Ontario when rush hour starts there are teams of towtrucks and parking enforcement officers going down the 'no stopping' streets.  They ticket the car and tow it around the corner.  There is usually a towing charge on top of the ticket, but more in line with $75-100, not $400 fines like in that story. 

The clamps are stupid - it's not as if they actually make the no-parking space free, they just make it more difficult for the driver to move his car.  Seems much more practical to do it the Canadian way.

If you have a no parking sign on private property, then it reverts to the landowner to call a tow truck and have it removed.  Still no clamps.

Yeah, I've got to say that there is no logical reason to use a clamp for parking violations.  Tow trucks, sure.  Clamps to stop someone from fleeing for other criminal reasons, absolutely.  But to lock a car into a parking spot where it doesn't belong has got to be far more ridiculous than traffic/speed cameras.

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 02:25:27 AM »
In Vancouver, at 3:00 PM SHARP the ticket people drive down the main roads issuing tickets (which typically run around $50) and are followed by a fleet of tow trucks who I've seen snatch a car in as little as 30 seconds and the car is towed to an impound lot, not around the corner. The towing charge is at least $125.

A very good friend of mine was a tow truck driver for a number of years (Scott, it was Wayne) and the stories he had ranged from humerous to scary. I have ZERO sympathy for anyone getting towed or fined for parking illegally (unless it is a genuine emergency) so if this guy in this story failed to see the sign then too bad for him. The cops should have forcibly removed him from the car to allow it to be towed but the guy would probably have screamed religious persecution as he was going to prayer.  >:(
Geez, when I was parking in Vancouver sometimes I had to spend, oh, AT LEAST 5 or 10 seconds looking for the parking signs ...sheesh! :'( :D

Now, saying all that, there is one thing I found extremely troublesome was the douchebag from the clamp company who thought it was ok to enter the vehicle and sit in it. WHAT WAS UP WITH THAT? I mean I know you Brits have vitually given up any civil liberties in having your every move photographed by Scotland Yard or MI5 or MI6 but jeeeez  :D
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Dare

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 11:04:38 PM »
How does the clamping work there?Are the clampers
city employees or justmen with a truck looking for
a fast buck?
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 08:55:55 AM »
Sounds like they are private...crazy.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 09:15:38 AM »
They are private Scott, licenced by councils but they have no scruples.  >:D
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle