collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 604
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Liuzzi: F1 would be tough for girls  (Read 10956 times)

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Liuzzi: F1 would be tough for girls
« on: August 15, 2010, 12:50:23 PM »

I'm suprised it has taken so long for someone to stick their head above the parapet in response to Bernie's babbling about the American Indy driver Danica Patrick being a good advert for F1. This suggestion from Bernie smacks more of the publicity value than a belief that she can make the grade; surely?

I think Even Danica's management and backers may view F1 as a a bridge too far, even though they have used every trick in the book to progress her career. So unless the money is huge I don't believe we shall see Danica, or any other female driver, doing a Bruno Senna at the back of the grid. It would be the back of the grid because I can't see any top team making a seat available for Mr Eccelstone's publicity plan.

Not to be sexist in any way, Force India driver Tonio Liuzzi reckons Formula One is just not for girls.

Last week, F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone again stated that he would like to see a female driver in Formula One, naming America's Danica Patrick as his ideal choice' she would a "perfect advert" for the sport.

However, Liuzzi believes the fairer sex would struggle to make the grade in F1.

"I think it would be quite tough for the girls," the Italian told ESPNF1.

"I think Danica could be big for publicity like she is in America but Formula One has a different objective and is a tougher challenge both physically and psychologically.

"To be at the top in Formula One is not as easy as people expect. I doubt it would work but Bernie has all these great ideas to showcase the business and he is the boss so you never know!"

As to whether a female would succeed in the sport, it has been almost two decades since one last attempted.

In 1992, Giovanni Amati tried her hand at F1 but failed to qualify in any of her three attempts

planetf1.com, Today

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

Re: Liuzzi: F1 would be tough for girls
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 01:58:06 PM »
it is true that women have a much tougher time in racing culture, because it is so macho.

I think that women would have an advantage in F1, given the right circumstances, because women tend to be lighter than men (myself excluded, of course), and have higher pain tolerances.  Given equal driving skills, those are both HUGE advantages to car designers.  That would even make up for a deficit in driving skill.  (We've seen these last few years how important the design is over driver skill.)

I agree with Bernie that having Danica in F1 would probably be good for the sport.  I think she's smart enough to stay away though.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 07:06:52 PM »
I completely accept Tonio's point regarding Danica specifically, but a lot of the article made me cringe. The writer who interpreted the words in particular, because he (I assume it is a he) decided to widen the scope to diss the chances of any woman in F1, which isn't really what Tonio was saying at all (personally I don't think Danica would face quite as much trouble from the factors he cited as he suggested, but Jeri's point about culture more than makes up for that).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 07:09:54 PM »
Danica has a real talent for ovals, especially big ovals, but she has always struggled on road courses. Her beauty makes her a publicity plus. Simona de Silvestro is not as photogenic, but has put in a couple of excellent runs on road courses in a car that at best is 2ND tier in the IRL. I think that eventually a woman will come along who is so talented, they cannot dismiss her as a "girl". Simona may be it, but she needs backing for a better ride.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Andy B

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 08:57:38 AM »
If you look into the feeder series where are the women succeeding there are a few females competing but non seem to be hitting the top step. I have no objection to a female driver but she has to be there on merit not because she is a female.

I also think Jeri is wrong pain tolerance would make no difference in a racing situation, weight is the same for all cars and some current drivers weigh less than a sparrow the biggest difference which she failed to mention is strength which they would not be able to match.

Oh! And nor would I on all counts. :DD
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 10:53:49 AM »
I also think Jeri is wrong pain tolerance would make no difference in a racing situation, weight is the same for all cars and some current drivers weigh less than a sparrow the biggest difference which she failed to mention is strength which they would not be able to match.

Not sure about that.  I think most of us could whip Nick Heidfeld in an arm wrestle.  Neck muscles can be built with the right training, no matter the gender.  Modern F1 cars use power steering, so the only real issue is fitness and endurance, traits that I would suggest women are just as likely to master as any man.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Andy B

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 12:20:46 PM »

Not sure about that.  I think most of us could whip Nick Heidfeld in an arm wrestle.  Neck muscles can be built with the right training, no matter the gender.  Modern F1 cars use power steering, so the only real issue is fitness and endurance, traits that I would suggest women are just as likely to master as any man.

I'm not sure about that either!!
If it was easy then why do the drivers train so hard I'm sure power steering makes it easier but hustling an F1 car for a full GP is an unknown quantity for us mear mortals.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Monty

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 01:17:24 PM »
I don't agree with Liuzzi. I really do not think success in F1 has anything to do with gendre. The reason women haven't made it is top line motor sport is statistics. No not vital statistics  ;)
Let's start in karting. I would guess female drivers number something like 1 in every 50.
Many drop out rather than progress to low level single seater or tin top action so the numbers probably get to 1 in every 100. Only the very best drivers progress to professional series like F3, FPA, World Renault, etc. so now only a small percentage of the 1% female drivers get into the very competitive series.
To progress to F1 it is almost essential that the drivers have experience in a European single seater series, so now the numbers of female drivers are reduced to where we are now (exactly zero).
IMO drivers like Danica and Legge have no chance in F1, not because they are women, but because they do not have the correct CV. It would be completely wrong to allow Berni to use marketing dollars to bring an inexperienced driver into F1 just because the driver is a woman. That would be as bad as letting an inexperienced Japanese driver into F1 just because he has massive financial backing. And of course that would never happen in F1........would it?

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 01:46:31 PM »
If you look into the feeder series where are the women succeeding there are a few females competing but non seem to be hitting the top step. I have no objection to a female driver but she has to be there on merit not because she is a female.

F1's history is full of drivers who are there because of the money their name can draw, or personal sponsorship, or being the best in an untapped market.

As long as we have room for Bruno Senna, or Vitali Petrov, or the token Japanese drivers that Honda/Toyota insisted on, there's room for a female driver who has no chance of winning.

Most of the men never win anyway.

Jugirl

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 05:12:14 PM »
I can't see why women wouldn't be any good as an F1 driver. Although I don't think i would ever be any good, especially after the Caterham incident be quiet Neil hehe ;)  :sick:

Jugirl

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 05:38:35 PM »
What???  Neil let you drive his Caterham??  And you DID something to it?   >:( >:(

The way to a Caterham owner is obviously through his stomach!!   ;) ;)

Offline Ian

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 06:22:44 PM »
Ahaa, driven Neils Caterham eh, hmmm, what shall we make of that eh people.  ::)
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 07:40:42 PM »
All has become clear eh Ian? I do believe our Neil has been showing off his squirrels.  ;)
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Ian

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 08:10:45 PM »
Not only that Wiz, we all know where squirrels like to put their nuts don't we, hehe  :DD
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 08:15:56 PM »
And I thought all that talk of honey balls, chocolate balls and crusty balls was just innocent stuff...we'll have to keep an eye on those two!   :nono: :nono:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle