collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 596
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Rivals claim changes noticeable after new wing test  (Read 2954 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Rivals claim changes noticeable after new wing test
« on: August 29, 2010, 11:23:51 AM »

According to this report on Crash.net the new tougher tests imposed by the FIA are having an effect, can't say I have noticed much difference personally, but Ross & Martin seem convinced. This might account for Ferrari's lower grid slots at this race or it might just be they are running a wet biased set-up. Red Bull however still look in stong form but will it translate to race pace?

Two of the more outspoken critics of Red Bull Racing's so-called 'flexi-wing' have expressed surprise and satisfaction after new tests were imposed on all teams at the Belgian Grand Prix.

Concern that the front wings on both Red Bull's RB6 and Ferrari's F10 were deflecting enough under aerodynamic loads on track to create a performance advantage first arose at the British Grand Prix, and have subsequently led to the FIA introducing greater stress tests at Spa-Francorchamps. Although both teams claim that they passed the revised inspection without problem, both McLaren's Martin Whitmarsh and Mercedes' Ross Brawn believe that there is a noticeable difference in the wings this weekend.

"I wasn't that confident that [the problem] would be nailed, but I have to say... the wings were of a different stiffness and positional domain than they had been in previous races," Whitmarsh told Reuters reporters on Saturday evening, "I think we could all see it, and the evidence that was collected yesterday showed that, in regards to stiffness and position, the front wing endplates of those cars appear to be in a different domain."

Although Red Bull still secured its twelfth pole position in 13 races, courtesy of Mark Webber, Brawn agreed that there had been a difference in the attitude of the wings.

"I think all of us can see that what was visible in the last couple of races doesn't seem to be the case here," the former Ferrari man confirmed, "I don't know what has happened, but it looks visually to me, to be different."

Further tests designed to avert the spread of flexible parts, with attention turning to the floor of the cars, are expected to be introduced at the Italian Grand Prix in two weeks' time.

Crash.net, Today

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline PG_Gabriel

Re: Rivals claim changes noticeable after new wing test
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 03:30:20 AM »
I think we need to wait for a higher downforce circuit to really tell, The Ferraris did seem off but they did say they were running on wet set ups... and Red Bulls definitely didnt have the same advantage as Hungary, but they are also slow down a straight line. I think we will have to wait for Singapore or Japan to really know

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 05:24:18 AM »
Agreed. :good:

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 01:57:01 PM »
Are you kidding?

Did you SEE how tough the front wing is on the RBR now?  It punched a hole right through Button's radiator!   :crazy:

Based on earlier incidents this season I'm sure that the RBR would have completely disintegrated, and Button wouldn't have noticed a thing...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 05:43:23 PM »
Are you kidding?

Did you SEE how tough the front wing is on the RBR now?  It punched a hole right through Button's radiator!   :crazy:

Based on earlier incidents this season I'm sure that the RBR would have completely disintegrated, and Button wouldn't have noticed a thing...

Well it must be the Karma thing that Webber is always banging on about, McLaren were the biggest moaners about the Red Bull flexi-wings after all.  :D  Me I'd just say it was Kismet; oh and hopelessly bad driving by young Vettel.  ;)

« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 05:48:29 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Monty

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 11:51:43 AM »
Some really interesting input from Blogs. James Allen (see extract below) points out that viewing the on board shots of Vettel just before the crash shows just how flexible the Red Bull wings still are. This got me looking at on board shots from any of the competitors that I could find. In all of the on board coverage I found, none of the front wings seem to flex at all. Of course there is movement but you can see it is the whole car that is moving not just the tips of the wings. It seems that there really is something in the flexible wing theory.

It looks like the wing rolls when one side of it comes clear of the wake from Button’s car. This isn’t surprising – one side of the wing is probably only getting about 50% of the air that the side outside of Button’s wake gets.

That difference in wing load one side to the other, combined with the deflection of the wing and the roll that creates will have made the car quite unstable, according to engineers I’ve discussed the video with. It is not necessarily the reason why Vettel lost control of the car, but it will not have made controlling the car any easier.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle