collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 587
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Lotus poised to sign deal with Toyota  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Dare

Lotus poised to sign deal with Toyota
« on: September 17, 2010, 01:14:59 PM »

Maybe we  don't want to see the Toyota name  linked with Lotus
but they could use the money
ESPNF1 Staff

Teams:Lotus Lotus is poised to announce a number of changes for the 2011 season, and these could include a tie-up with Toyota according to reports in the Italian media.

A Lotus spokesman said the team will be making "a number of very exciting announcements" in Singapore next weekend, and Autosprint claimed those would include a new technical cooperation with Toyota Motorsport, the Cologne-based organisation that raced in Formula One between 2002 and last year.

Toyota is currently supplying Pirelli with a 2009-spec test car, and has been linked with a technical collaboration for 2011 with HRT. But Autosprint reports that Lotus and Toyota are in fact set to team up, with Mike Gascoyne proving the crucial link between the two outfits. Several former members of Toyota's F1 team are now working with Lotus, such as sporting director Dieter Gass.

"We have to do something different and it will be done soon," Lotus supremo Tony Fernandes told the BBC at Monza last weekend. "Lots of negotiations have gone on over the last couple of weeks and we're very happy with the outcome."

It is expected that the current drivers will be retained for another season, and that Lotus Racing will take on the historic Team Lotus moniker for 2011 and beyond.

And according to the rumour mill, with the team's 2011 contract with Cosworth now dissolved, Lotus will be confirming an engine and gearbox deal with Renault.

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Monty

Re: Lotus poised to sign deal with Toyota
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 01:26:09 PM »
No.....not Toyota. The Toyota set up has been condemned so many times for being an organisation paralysed by decisions being made by committee, local decisions being over-ruled by Japan, language problems and lack of experience.
I know Lotus insn't the same as when Chapman was around but the name deserves to be supported by enthusiatic entrepreneurs, not a huge Corporation.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 01:50:12 PM »
They're building a world car!

An English outfit owned by a Malaysian conglomerate, powered by French engines, rolling on Italian tires and designed by Japanese engineers.

I do find it a little curious for Team Lotus to be an amalgam of Proton, Renault and Toyota.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 02:38:27 PM »

Yeah I too find this a bit far fetched Jeri, for the following reasons.  Proton have traditionally linked to Japan carmaker Mitsubishi (now tied in with Mercedes on 4WD development and platform sharing) for their drivetrains and some model platforms, plus Renault has a controlling interest in Nissan another Japanese rival to Toy. Also I seem to recall one Mike Gascoyne being unceremoniously fired by Toyota. :crazy:

Now I'm sure Merc has no problem if Renault supply engines since they themselves are up to the customer supply limit allowed under the rules, but I can't see both of these big boys wanting Toyota to be in the mix - especially if Lotus start to make big progress up the grid. :nono:

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 06:46:52 AM »
All of the Lotus road cars are powered by Toyota engines, so if Lotus are to become Team Lotus with possibility of a tie to the production company, an engineering tie up with Toyota is not so far fetched. However slow or fast Toyota was I'm sure they have technical info and experienced designers, fabricators and mechanics who could be very useful to Lotus.

Lonny
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle