collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 357
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Heroes and Zeroes Korea  (Read 8183 times)

Offline Scott

Heroes and Zeroes Korea
« on: October 24, 2010, 07:21:01 PM »
Not many on either side this race...

Heroes:

The TV people (or FOM) who actually gave us a 3hr slot today for the race and didn't call it early for the darkness or TV time.  I'm sure Webber and Vettel both thought the race should have been called earlier (Vettel so he would have won, and Webber so everyone would get half points).  Sorry BBC couldn't put that boring as sh*t show on BBC 2 instead of moving the race there.

Alonso showed how to stay out of trouble and win a race while everyone fell by the wayside behind him.

Kobi for finishing in 8th to give me two extra points (he was my wild card pick this week).

The gods of Karma for killing Vettel's engine in a race not many of us wanted him to win.

Zeroes:

FIA wussies who were waiting for the track to be almost completely dry before dropping the green flag finally an hour and 4 minutes late.  Both Brundle and Coulthard said they had raced in worse rain.  Why do they pay the drivers so much if they can't handle a bit of rain.

Button, or the guy who set up his car - looked worse than a rookie.

Webber - he admitted it - he blew it, simple as that.  Didn't even look that bad, I almost expected him to spin back onto the track and continue.

There were some others, but all in all it was a fairly boring race aside from the drama of the RBR's going out.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

Re: Heroes and Zeroes Korea
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 08:11:06 PM »
Was'nt just the rain Scott, on new tarmac the resins and polymers lay on the top, add water and it's a skating rink.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 08:56:46 PM »
Hero's

Alonso-shows why he's the best f1 driver in the business
           give him a chance and he'll win

Shumacher-good result,hope next year we find out for sure
                if it's the car or driver problem this season

Hamilton-nice steady drive for a 2nd place finish,in weeks past
              he'd have found a way to screw his race  up

Zero's

FIA or FOM,whoever is the blame for having yet another
                race in the monsoon season

FIA or FOM for probably getting rid of the term rain master,
                how can you be a master of rain when you do parade laps
                when it rains

Red Bull team and drivers-are we going to find a way to
                                      throw away the championships

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Williamsfan

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 09:04:46 PM »
Heroes-

Alonso- Great drive and managed to avoid all incidents, had some luck (the wheel nut at the pit stop) but he is putting himself into a very strong position for the title now.

Hamilton- A solid drive, one of those where he came in by stealth almost!

Williams- Both cars in a points finish, nice one! 

Zeroes-

Putting a race on in the wet season, not a smart move, especially on a 'green' track

Red Bull- Another melt down for them?  The fastest car on the grid but they seem intent on making a meal of things.

Offline romephius

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 09:24:05 PM »
Heroes:

Alonoso, making it count when the time was right

Hamilton, just doing enough to get to the end

Schumacher, some great passing and actual clean racing (for him)

Zeroes:

Webber, silly mistake, only redeeming thing was admitting it

Sutil, just some terrible, terrible driving

The Korean track, I can't think of a single positive thing to say about it... BORING!

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 12:01:49 AM »
Too lazy to make up a good post but here goes,

Heroes

The fans at he track for hanging in there!

My sports channel in Canada for sticking with the whole race in what turned out to be an almost 4 hour time slot instead of 2

Scott, for almost making me choke on whatever I was munching on when he came up with "Massa Smoocher" to address a certain someone when they entered the chat room.  :DD

Zeros

Webber for breaking my heart

FIA for delaying the race way beyond the time when it should have been rightfully started.
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Wats-on

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 02:54:25 PM »
Just a question. The race shouldn't last longer then 2 hours, and there were 3 laps run behind the safetycar. That sounds like a start to me. So, from that moment on (or from the paradelap on) the clock counts away the 2 hours. How is it possible that the 'race' lasted for 2h48m?

Hero's:
Schumacher - driving a steady race
Heidfeld - already as many point in three races as De la Rosa in half a season
Alonso - keeping his titlechances as alive as could be

Zero's:
Webber - couldn't handle the pressure after al?
FIA - starting too late, racing too long
FOM - picking the wrong time of the year in a wrong country
You're smart if you believe only half of what you're told. You're brilliant if you know what half to believe...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 04:23:20 PM »
Just a question. The race shouldn't last longer then 2 hours, and there were 3 laps run behind the safetycar. That sounds like a start to me. So, from that moment on (or from the paradelap on) the clock counts away the 2 hours. How is it possible that the 'race' lasted for 2h48m?

The clock is suspended for red flag conditions.

We call it a 'time out' in North America.  (It's how an hour long football game becomes 4 hours)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 04:35:43 PM »
It's even stranger than that, Jeri. Officially, the clock keeps running during the red flag. Then, an amount of time equal to the red flag period is added to the 2 hour race window. According to Formula1.com, the official time for the race was 2:48:20.810  :confused:

You wouldn't expect the FIA to do anything simply or sensibly, would you?

Heroes:

Speed Channel - For sticking with the entire Korean GP (a.k.a. The 24 Hours of Yeoungam)

Schumacher - Still good in the rain.

Webber - For saying flat out that his shunt was his own fault.

Zeroes:

Herr Tilke - That pit entrance is way too dangerous

The FIA and Race Control - Fumbled the beginning of the race about every way they could.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 06:07:32 PM »
Heroes

Vettel - he did everything just perfect over the weekend right up to the point when his engine went pop.

Alonso - good win, however he was always just behind this weekend and lucked in, but he still kept it all together even after bad pit stop.

Sauber and their drivers - even though others tried to halt their progress they brought both cars home in the points, not bad for a rookie and a disgarded stalwart.

Zeroes

Button and McLaren - why the hell didn't he pit for fresh tyres for the last quarter of the race? He was already well outside the points so the extra time for the stop would be a gamble, but at least they would have been proactive instead of just having a leisurely Sunday drive in the Korean countryside.

Webber - maybe the pressure got to him, a bad break for his title hopes though.

Lewis - for giving places away to Rosberg and Alonso.  You're not going to lift the crown leaving the door open so much young man.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 09:06:14 PM »
It's even stranger than that, Jeri. Officially, the clock keeps running during the red flag. Then, an amount of time equal to the red flag period is added to the 2 hour race window. According to Formula1.com, the official time for the race was 2:48:20.810  :confused:

You wouldn't expect the FIA to do anything simply or sensibly, would you?

Actually, if you followed soccer, you'd recognise the concept of 'injury time'.  Rather than call time outs in soccer, the referee just adds time players spend rolling on the ground pretending to be dying on to the end of the game.  (For a very long time this amount of time was 'secret', only in the past decade was the referee required to announce how much injury time there was.)

I'm not saying it makes sense, but at least that's the direction they're coming from.

Offline Ian

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 09:15:04 PM »
SOCCER Jeri, SOCCER ? It's football, or footie.  ::)  ;)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 09:47:16 PM »
Nah! Over here in the New World, football is a game played by real men, not effete lollies like Beckham. They use an ovoid ball, wear pads I would struggle to lift, and the angry big ones attempt to squash the scared little ones who have the ball. Stuff happens, players suffer real injuries. SOCCER players just roll a ball along the ground, and fall down if anyone comes within a foot of them. After 90 minutes of pointless running up and down the field, the game is usually decided by penalty kicks. >:D

Lonny
Lonny

Offline romephius

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 10:09:27 PM »
And then you leave the 'new world' behind with their girlie footie (pads and all) and come to the colony where we play footie without any of those pads, no stop and go, just smash the other bloke as hard as possible and take the ball....

I must say though.... I can't stand any form of footy.... in the end it's just a bunch of blokes giving eachother cuddles and gropes with an excuse of chasing a ball....

Offline Ian

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 10:14:36 PM »
100% Rom, there's only two ball games worth watching and they are rugby and Aussie rules football, no pads, just muscle and guts.  :good:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle