collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 492
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Vettel in Brazil post race interview - no class  (Read 3228 times)

Offline Canada Darrell™

Vettel in Brazil post race interview - no class
« on: November 07, 2010, 08:35:18 PM »
Really, I normally don't often dislike a driver for something said off track as it is often an out of context quote but Vettel's Brazil post race interview really struck a raw nerve with me.

Of all the low class comments to make about the upcoming WDC deciding race, he managed to come up with this gem...

"I don't wish anything bad for him (Alonso) but I wouldn't be sad to see some Ferrari smoke."

Sorry Vettel, that was the final straw for me. I've been on the fence for a while now but you've pushed me into the "Vettel Hater" camp. Perhaps when you grow up and aren't such a petulant prat I'll come back for for now, you're just another chump.

My 2 cents

Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline romephius

Re: Vettel in Brazil post race interview - no class
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 08:46:13 PM »
Really? I found it to be one of the least objectionable interviews, given that he ACTUALLY thanked the team properly, gave the proper dues to the other drivers and managed to not completely let the arrogance take over.

I personally saw the crack about Ferrari smoke as a bit of light hearted humour, but hey, I could be wrong.

Having said all that, I still can't stand the petulant child.

My half a cent...

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 08:51:08 PM »
Right up until the actual quote that ruffled my feathers yes, it was a good interview. I dunno, wishing mechanical failure on your WDC competitor was just too much for me. Wishing it is one thing, saying it is another. It could have been a beautiful interview had he just sad something like "it's sure to be a good fight for the title in Abu Dabi".....
If I'm not mistaken, right after he said it Mark Webber had a look about him like "dude, you didn't really just say that did you?"

David

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 08:52:31 PM »
Welcome to the club CD.   :DD

If Alonso can't do it I hope Webber shows him who's boss.

Offline romephius

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 08:55:27 PM »
Webber all the way... then we can see a fantastic interview

Offline mikepaterson

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 09:13:34 PM »
Really, I normally don't often dislike a driver for something said off track as it is often an out of context quote but Vettel's Brazil post race interview really struck a raw nerve with me.

Of all the low class comments to make about the upcoming WDC deciding race, he managed to come up with this gem...

"I don't wish anything bad for him (Alonso) but I wouldn't be sad to see some Ferrari smoke."

Sorry Vettel, that was the final straw for me. I've been on the fence for a while now but you've pushed me into the "Vettel Hater" camp. Perhaps when you grow up and aren't such a petulant prat I'll come back for for now, you're just another chump.

My 2 cents

I thought it showed a great sense of humour - sopmething you might have missed ...

Still I hope Mark puts it right next week and that Alonso's hopes do go up in smoke!

David

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 09:21:21 PM »
Uhh, welcome to the site Mike.  :P

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 09:25:08 PM »
I was about to say the same thing myself David. Welcome Mike!

For the record, no the attempt at "humour" wasn't lost on me but I thought he crossed the line. He's said other things this year that have made me wonder if he knows where humour ends and class begins but the jury is in for me....he doesn't.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 02:02:33 AM by Canada Darrell »

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 09:37:57 PM »
I think this result of not playing any team tactics today has put Red Bull pilots in the driving seat for the WDC, they secured the constructors title but have kept both their drivers in the hunt to cover off the possibility of any chosen one having a dnf next race.

This was Vettel's day, he knows full well that a running order like today in Abu Dhabi will result in him letting Mark get by to take the title, so his cheeky remark about Alonso is right on the mark. I for one am fed up with just endless platitudes, Seb and others have brought a more light hearted feel to the podium press conference. We all know what he means anyway so what's so wrong about voicing it

Before anyone starts taking the high ground about Seb's dig at Alonso let's remember who is the benificiary, and possible instigator, of an outrageous cheat in the championship points. A far bigger no no in my view. :P

« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 10:48:02 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 10:47:42 PM »
What irked me most about the interview wasn't the remark about Alonso (mainly because I want to see a Ferrari smoke next race too), but his arrogance toward his teammate.  He thought he should point out that he was 'managing the gap', instead of saying he 'had his work cut out for him trying to stay ahead of Webber' - which would have been the classy way to put it.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 11:20:27 PM »
What irked me most about the interview wasn't the remark about Alonso (mainly because I want to see a Ferrari smoke next race too), but his arrogance toward his teammate.  He thought he should point out that he was 'managing the gap', instead of saying he 'had his work cut out for him trying to stay ahead of Webber' - which would have been the classy way to put it.

Yeah but it wouldn't have been true, at the end Mark fell back because he had used up fuel chasing Seb in the mid part of the race. Mark was warned several times by his team that his car was overheating yet he chose to keep trying to close on Vettel. 'Muddy Talker' Murray often warned "to finish first, first you must finish", still holds true, Mark was in danger of overcooking his own title bid, not smart in my opinion. In fact Mark was in danger of ruining the team's constructors title bid, some thanks for a team that has given him the opportunity to have a shot at the WDC and has kept faith by signing him for next year. There are plenty of drivers who would give their right arm for the RBR drive next year.   

How come Mark never realised, after his own failure to beat Seb in Quali, today's result is a really good result for him because if Alonso is in 3rd in Abu Dhabi behind him and Seb, then his teamate will moveover to favour him. There is no circumstance in the last race when Mark will be asked or expected to yield for Seb. True champs calculate such things even during races, it's what makes then so good.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 02:20:26 AM »
Vettel is a cocky arrogant driver.  he's not the first, he won't be the last.  Hamilton and Button are gentleman, so we're a little spoiled to expect that.

There's no one who doesn't expect Vettel to wish for Ferrari smoke.  It would be a lie not to admit it. 

Worst case... a low class driver is fun to root against.  That's what I loved so much about Schumacher.

Offline romephius

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 07:15:18 AM »
I personally doubt that Vettels ego will allow him to 'move' over to help Mark to the Championship, as far as Vettel is concerned it's his championship and that's that.

I truly hope he proves me wrong.

And Button is not the gentleman that people seem to think, after all it took almost half the season last year before he finally thanked the team, according to him it was always his work that dragged the team along.  Lewis on the other hand has never forgotten the HUGE opportunity afforded to him, by ALWAYS thanking the team.  Webber also makes a point of thanking the team for his results.

Just a thought though and I could be wrong.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 12:59:56 PM »
First, welcome aboard, Mike. Glad to have you here.

My feed cut out before the press conference. Sounds like I missed a good one! I've read the transcript. It reads like Seb was trying, however unsuccessfully, to make a joke. He can be a bit full of himself, but is nowhere near being the arrogant twit that Alonso is.

Besides, who doesn't enjoy seeing a stationary, smoking Ferrari?  :good:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 03:31:36 PM »
Yeah but it wouldn't have been true, at the end Mark fell back because he had used up fuel chasing Seb in the mid part of the race. Mark was warned several times by his team that his car was overheating yet he chose to keep trying to close on Vettel.

I'm not sure where you found that out.  I tried to listen to all the broadcasted radio transmissions, and have hunted the internet looking for quotes about Mark being short on fuel.  His car was running hot almost the entire race, so that isn't news.  After the SC, there simply wasn't any point in trying to catch Vettel - he had no chance.  The team wasn't going to intervene to give Mark the place, and in so few laps to the end, even if he could catch Vettel, the world knows that Vettel wouldn't have helped him by, and the most likely outcome would have been a collision.  More important that Webber 'managed the gap' to Alonso at that point.  Mature decision.

In fact Mark was in danger of ruining the team's constructors title bid, some thanks for a team that has given him the opportunity to have a shot at the WDC and has kept faith by signing him for next year.

That's a bit of a stretch - he was no more likely to DNF as anyone out there.  As for Webber giving thanks, Webber didn't have everything handed to him any more than Vettel did - in fact Vettel never had to put in the years at backmarker teams to show consistency that deserved him a drive at RBR - and don't forget that Mark was signed to RBR before Newey was, so there was no certainty that the car would become great.  Webber simply surprised everyone by showing that he could take a car places that everyone only thought a young gun could.  Which is why they signed him for 2011 after all.  In fact RBR won the WCC in large part due to Mark's driving this year.  Who should thank who?

How come Mark never realised, after his own failure to beat Seb in Quali, today's result is a really good result for him because if Alonso is in 3rd in Abu Dhabi behind him and Seb, then his teamate will moveover to favour him. There is no circumstance in the last race when Mark will be asked or expected to yield for Seb. True champs calculate such things even during races, it's what makes then so good.

Like Rom, I don't believe that there will be any circumstance that Vettel will move over for Webber unless forced to (i.e. they blow his pit stop).  Vettel is a selfish racer, and not a team player. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle