collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 308
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Heads to roll after Alonso last race strategy  (Read 2950 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Heads to roll after Alonso last race strategy
« on: November 16, 2010, 09:39:06 PM »

Everyone in the Ferrari pit crew needs to worry after failure. The top brass look safe enough though as long as they can identify others for sacrifice, according to The Guardian newspaper.

Ferrari heads could roll after pits error denies Fernando Alonso title

The Italian team's tactical blunder in the season's final grand prix has led to a cabinet minister calling for an inquest Ferrari were in turmoil tonight as they counted the cost of a bungled attempt to win the Formula One drivers' championship in Abu Dhabi.

An Italian cabinet minister, Roberto Calderoli, called for the resignation of Luca Cordero di Montezemolo, the Ferrari president. And even the team's principal, Stefano Domenicali, who has been criticised in the past for being too nice, admitted that heads could roll following poor decision-making in the final race of the season at the Yas Marina circuit.

Fernando Alonso was the championship leader and favourite to win the title but poor tactics meant he finished a hugely disappointing seventh and lost out to Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel, who until that point had not led the table all season. The final, unedifying memory of Ferrari's chosen one, Alonso, in this year's championship is of him shaking an angry fist at Petrov, who had frustrated him for so long in Abu Dhabi.

Domenicali said yesterday: "A mistake was made, which may yet result in changes within the Ferrari hierarchy and which may yet take a while to forget."

The trouble for Ferrari is that wholesale changes have already been made as the team have struggled to match the success enjoyed when Michael Schumacher was their leading driver, winning five of his seven world championships for the Scuderia.

Domenicali did offer sympathy to Alonso, who went to Abu Dhabi at the head of the field, having won four of the previous eight races. The Spaniard had only to finish second to confirm his third world championship and, with Vettel winning, he could have come as low as fourth.

But his team made a crucial mistake when they decided to bring him into the pits when in fourth position. Ferrari were too interested in shadowing Red Bull's tactics for the race and it cost them dear because Alonso hit heavy traffic when he rejoined the race and then found it impossible to get past the Renault second-string driver, Vitaly Petrov.

Domenicali said: "I have to say I feel sorry for Fernando. He had a fantastic year, always pushed the people to work and never gave up."

A source close to Ferrari said last night: "There will be changes at Ferrari for sure. What happened on Sunday was a big, heavy mistake.

"But they won't be changing the car, Alonso, the president or Domenicali. Instead there will be changes to the inefficient pit area. It may not even be a sacking. But next season some important people will no longer hold the positions they do today."

Paul Weaver, guardian.co.uk, Nov 15.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 09:48:13 PM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

David

Re: Heads to roll after Alonso last race strategy
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 09:55:55 PM »
I was real peaved on Sunday, but now that I have had time to come to terms with Ferrari throwing away their chance at a WDC, I'm sorta relieved to be honest it panned out the way it did. The reason why is, if they had have pulled it off or took the candy from the baby as it could be put, we would now be discussing if they deserved to win after events in Germany. Couldn't be bothered with all that so for that reason I'm OK with the loss. I know  :fool:

I really hope there isn't a damaging over reaction to this that leads to heads rolling, after all there is no better way to learn that to make the odd mistake. Play as a team, win as a team and even lose as a team.

We will be back next year stronger and better.  :yahoo:

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 12:05:27 AM »
Wow.

The American government owns GM, and they are hesitant to fire the guy who (debateably) watched the company get flushed down the toilet, potentially ruining the lives of millions of people... whereas the Italian government is willing to fire the head of a private (is Fiat private?) company because of a RACE that they had needed luck to get into a winning position?

Even when Canada lost at Olympic Hockey in Torino, the government just said "gosh, what a shame.  Better luck next time boys."  And that's the closest we've had to a national emergency since... uh... 1812

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 03:40:42 AM »
Italians have an emotional connection to Ferrari that may be unmatched in sport. I think it comes from a time when Ferrari was just about the only thing successful about Italy. I hope they take a minute and look at all the good things they accomplished this year and don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 05:08:19 AM »
It'snot just me is it? I mean, when Ferrari screw up they do it in spectacular fashion don't they? It's "all in" or nothing with these guys!
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle