collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 608
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Williams finally announce Maldanado as 2nd driver  (Read 1121 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Williams finally announce Maldanado as 2nd driver
« on: December 01, 2010, 06:00:46 PM »

This news was expected last week, wonder what held it all up?

Williams has confirmed that GP2 champion Pastor Maldonado will be its second driver in 2011, taking the seat occupied by Nico Hulkenberg this season.

Maldonado had been extensively linked with Williams in recent months, and tested for the team during the recent rookie sessions in Abu Dhabi, where he also spent two days with Hispania. He is believed to bring significant levels of personal sponsorship to the team.

Williams has already announced that Rubens Barrichello will be retained as its other race driver next season, with Valtteri Bottas remaining in the test and reserve role.

Autosport.com, Today.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline PG_Gabriel

Re: Williams finally announce Maldanado as 2nd driver
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 06:19:51 PM »
I really hope Nico finds a seat somewhere, probably force india

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 06:51:35 PM »
Maybe they waited until the check cleared.  ;)

I hope Nico finds a ride somewhere, too. FIF1 looks like the best still open.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 06:58:18 PM »
I wonder if Heidfeld is going back to Merc to test, or will there be a test seat available for a fine German driver?
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Williamsfan

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 08:17:05 PM »
So disappointing, Hulkenberg is going to be something special, I'm sure of it.  I know Maldonado was judged to have done really well in the tests he did both with Williams and HRT but this announcement leaves me cold and fearing the worst for my team  :(  Still, good luck Pastor, I'll be backing him next season and for as long as he drives a Williams!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 06:29:30 AM »
Williams was rumored to be trying to find a sponsor to allow them to say no to Maldonado's money and keep Nico. Frank tried to sign Nico to a personal services contract and possibly loan him to HRT but Nico wants to DRIVE for a decent team. Now Williams will reportedly carry Venezuelan oil as a major sponsor and Nico hopes to land elsewhere.

Lonny
Lonny

Williamsfan

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 09:19:29 PM »
I think Williams are going to be expecting as much as $15m in sponsorship from Maldonado, I guess that is great for the team's budget just it is annoying seeing my bunch taking on pay drivers.  I know to a degree Nakajima was one but this just seems different.  Ah well, maybe he'll be decent, he cannot be worse than Kaz, that's for sure!  Just a shame we had to let go of Nico, but I knew of the stuff of loaning him out and I can understand he would not want that, especially since right now Williams aren't a front running team themselves so it's not like he'd be going to HRT to learn the ropes before leading a title charge.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 09:33:47 PM »
Given the glut of German drivers/prospects in F1, I think that the best move drivers without a seat could make would be to go to a regional series, and build up a fan/sponsor base there.

IRL might not be as prestigious as IndyCar was, but doing well at the Indy 500 would be enticing to a team looking to attract American sponsorship. 

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 12:32:15 AM »
The Maldonado is rumored to be for only $10m with $4m to be paid to Pastor. Williams still needs a couple of high level sponsors to really go forward.

Lonny
Lonny

Williamsfan

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 08:20:36 AM »
Only that little? Compared to what was apparently on offer that is surprising.  Perhaps the team saw a lot more in him than I expected!  I always get curious to see who signs up as sponsors though.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 11:20:02 PM »
It was $10m more than Nico had.

Lonny
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle