collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 172
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16156 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11273 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Say goodbye to 19,000 rpm V8's  (Read 5593 times)

Offline Andy B

Say goodbye to 19,000 rpm V8's
« on: December 05, 2010, 12:34:20 AM »
It seems the 2.4ltr V8 is on its way out and the 1.6ltr 4 cylinder turbo is back.
The report on the BBC states that the teams have agreed to the change from 2013 including a 10,000 rpm limit. Is this the way to save money or is it just to attract new manufacturers?
I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing? :DntKnw:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9255871.stm

Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline PG_Gabriel

Re: Say goodbye to 19,000 rpm V8's
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 12:54:26 AM »
hmmm.... Im looking forward to Indy's simalar engine, but personaly i think F1 should be all about big engines with big power! why not just throw turbos onto the current v8's? I think they should stop with the massive coast saving stuff, sure cut it a little, but its still the worlds premire racing leauge

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 03:21:14 AM »
This isn't about power or speed, it's about "relevence". F1 wants to be a part of the auto industry's search for efficiency. Like NASCAR superspeedway engines, they will have restrictors. only instead of on the air inlet, they will be on the fuel flow. They will also feature KERS of some sort. It will be a contest to see who can make the most power under very limited conditions. I suspect they will start with less power than they have now, though anything is possible. Too bad because an unrestricted turbo could produce 12-1500 horsepower, which would be really interesting.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline PG_Gabriel

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 04:20:46 AM »
yeah, there should be another series like can-am, or somthing like the x1 in gran turismo. a series that has one goal, to go as fast as possible

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 01:17:11 PM »

If the smaller engines means the cars become more responsive and the individual drivers input is more pronounced then I give it a cautious welcome. Perhaps limiting the power output may unwittingly help with this, less downforce will be needed to keep the cars on the track through the twisty bits. You never know proper overtaking might be back in fashion.

The last turbo era came through some engine builders being allowed to take a different view which then became the norm when they outclassed the normaly aspirated units. I myself would prefer engine builders to decide for themselves what is the best solution for winning an F1 race. However we have had fairly tight regs for some years on engines, therefore a completely new class of engine is an all to easy option, for the regulators, on the grounds that it will prevent a increasingly bitter and an undoubtably expensive arms race over differing power units. Still it would be a lot of fun having more than one type of engine out on track and seeing which is best suited where.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 01:53:14 PM »
It's certainly tough to say good bye to the big engines... in many ways their roar is the defining characteristic of F1.

But, F1 is supposed to be about the most technologically advanced racing in the world... and anyone can make a massive V8 go fast.  Where's the innovation, the challenge?  So I do like that F1 is trying to be the leader in auto tech.  As silly as it sounds, I look forward to driving a family car with trickle down F1 tech!

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 02:00:45 PM »
1.4l Turbo?  I already have one - where's the innovation in that?  It pulls my 7 passenger mini-van up Swiss Alps with nary a glitch, but it's made by VW, and I doubt they copied much from F1 - more likely F1 will be copying from them.  Sorry, but the scream of featherweight V8's, V10's and V12's revving at 20k are cutting edge.  10k rpm 1.4l Turbo's are going to be like powering a shuttle to the moon with fireworks instead of rockets.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 03:41:37 PM »
I have mixed feeling on this one.I'd like to see closer racing
with more overtaking like everyone else but if it's going to
sound like Scotty speeding to the nearest McDonald's drive-thru
I'm not so sure.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 03:48:23 PM »

Just a thought, if F1 is going to a 1.6 litre format what the hell are the GP2 and lower formula going to have  - Lawnmower engines?  :crazy:
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 03:59:54 PM »
I'm not so sure.
:P :P :P

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 04:04:56 PM »
It's a very, VERY VERY bad idea! The last I heard, all of the engine manufacturers were against throwing truckloads of money at teeny, tiny turbos. Bernie's against it, so, hopefully, it will die a well deserved death.

F1 is supposed to be the top, the best. Bolting a turbo on a USAC midget racer engine is neither. (Sorry, I forgot. USAC midgets have 166 cid, 20 more than the current F1 V8's) Limiting revs to 19,000 was bad. Limiting them to 10,000 is insane!

F1 has never had massive engines. The 4 popper in my old Pinto mini stock (my current avatar) was the same displacement as the current F1 V8's.

It's bad enough that the 100th Anniversary Indy 500 will be the last. In 2012, it will be replaced with the Indy Minivan Endurance Run.  :sick: I hope they don't ruin F1, too.

Oh well, I guess I could stick a turbo on my Yugo and rename my race team Ecurie Appalachia F1.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 04:17:15 PM »
I'm not so sure.
:P :P :P

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 05:16:48 PM »

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 07:14:45 PM »
Since the Indy engines are less restrictive, we could see the IRL having more horsepower than F1. That hasn't happened for some time. According to Robin Miller, the goal at Indy is to change it so the drivers can't flat foot around all day. that would almost certainly mean the new engines will have more power than the current Hondas. And according to a veteran engine builder who has heard Offys, Fords, and V8 turbos; V6 turbos will sound just fine. The old Renault V6 turbos had quite a nice basso voce. At least you won't wonder if it's running like with the gas turbines!

Lonny
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 08:34:29 PM »
You can put lipstick on a pig, but it will still be a pig. The turbo Offys sounded like crap. The CART turbo Cosworths weren't much better. One of the big reasons that I, and many others, went with IRL at the time of the split was that it was turbo-free!

They'll still just be tarted-up minivan motors.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle