collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 247
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: BBC man Ted Kravitz explains 2011 car changes  (Read 4157 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
BBC man Ted Kravitz explains 2011 car changes
« on: December 28, 2010, 11:36:54 AM »

Moveable wings will change strategies as much as airflow Ted reckons, in his excellent explaination of how the new rules will be applied next year. It is well worth a read see link below.

Whilst I recognise that the extra push from the wing will be valuble to the following car I am not so sure that cars will sail past with ease when they like. However it is sure going to be interesting to see how best advantage can be gained and by whom. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9313790.stm

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: BBC man Ted Kravitz explains 2011 car changes
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 05:01:27 PM »
This is typical FIA junk. It's too complicated. I can see a lot of work for the stewards penalizing drivers who activate it too soon, or drivers who activate it accidentally or at the wrong spot on the track. Blah.

Lonny
Lonny

David

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 05:46:11 PM »
Maybe I'm wrong but it sounds like the electronics will determine when and where they can use the wing. It will be up to driver to learn when those times and places are and aren't.   :DntKnw:

I'm not sure I like the fact that the driver in front will have a forced disadvantage over the driver behind, might improve overtaking but doesn't seem right. I know it would have made a difference to the outcome of the championship decider last year that would have given me the result I desired, but at the end of the day Petrov successful defended Alonso, it was up to him to use his superior talent to get past even on a seemingly impossible track. I think they are barking up the wrong tree doing this to improve overtaking, the problems are deeper rooted IMO. It's just it would take a total redesign and restructure to fix it and nobody needs or wants to spend the money.

All the same can't wait to see what 2011 brings!!  :yahoo:

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 11:04:34 PM »
Good god what a load of B$...reading the rules governing the use of movable wing. Lonny got it right.
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 11:29:06 PM »
Good god what a load of B$...reading the rules governing the use of movable wing. Lonny got it right.

It may seem to be junk and look like a load of BS, however it's going to be rolled out. Must say I'm intrigued to find out who will turn it to their advantage, both when they are the hunter or the hunted. I hope there is going to be more very close quarters racing in the designated zones and then at other places because of KERS. The tricky bit will come when the car that was overtaken on the previous lap comes steaming past on the next or a subsequent lap, could be a cat and mouse game to the end if we are lucky.  :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 03:28:05 AM »
Could be that it will be like NASCAR, passes will be meaningless unless on the last lap. Maybe it will work out, but I'm skeptical.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 08:22:14 AM »
Too complicated...just keep the electronics out of it and let the drivers use it as they please.  Those that figure out the best way to use it will have an advantage.  End of story.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 03:10:18 PM »
Could be that it will be like NASCAR, passes will be meaningless unless on the last lap. Maybe it will work out, but I'm skeptical.

Lonny

I'm picturing long distanc bike racing, running or skating events where everyone plays follow the leader for 90% of the event, and then uses their reserves to sprint to the end.

I suppose that already is NASCAR though, isn't it?

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 10:50:03 PM »
Except for guys who have a problem and have to work their way up. They pretty much figure they need to be in the top 5 or 10 at the time of the last pit stop. Then the gloves come off. Years ago they would fight to be second at Daytona so they could draft by on the last lap, now they want to lead because it's harder to draft with the new cars. I expect it will take a couple of races before the F1 guys figure out how they can best use this gadget. I agree with Dare, give them the wing and let them decide when and where to use it.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 10:20:13 AM »
Thanks Lonny, but my name's Scott, not Dare   :P :P
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 05:38:40 PM »
Sorry, but you young whippersnappers all look alike to me. :-[

Lonny