collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 460
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Are McLaren about to drop silver livery?  (Read 4874 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Are McLaren about to drop silver livery?
« on: January 05, 2011, 12:21:53 PM »

Team merchandise for 2011 features black caps, shirts and jackets.                                   
Surely we are not going to have another black paint job on the grid, mind you with the large presence of Vodafone red on the car it would end up more like Virgin than Genii Renault/Lotus.

According to speculation in F1 circles, McLaren could be set to drop most of the silver from its car livery for the 2011 season.

Last year, after the shareholding split with Mercedes was announced, it was rumoured then that Woking based McLaren might adopt a substantially new livery -- given Mercedes GP's plans for a similarly silver car.

Team boss Martin Whitmarsh said then: "It (the silver) is a McLaren brand colour; it works for our partners and us."

Mercedes, however, ramped up its 'Silver Arrows' rhetoric throughout 2010 and now remains only an engine supplier to McLaren, with the shareholding ever diluted.

Indeed, this year, Daimler's stake is scheduled to have been entirely bought back by McLaren.

A hint about McLaren's branding and livery plans for 2011 is in the new official merchandising range for the forthcoming season.

For example, gone are the silver team caps of 2010, replaced by mainly black ones for 2011. The team crew and management-style shirts and jackets are also black.

Updatef1.com, Today.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Ian

Re: Are McLaren about to drop silver livery?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 12:45:44 PM »
Shame, I like the look of the McLaren.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 12:47:55 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing them go back to the old McLaren orange. I know they've painted pre-season test cars that way from time to time.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 03:25:03 PM »
I too have enjoyed the Silver McLarens, but I understand that the sport is driven by sponsorship, and if they're going to pay an extra $20 million to paint your car their colour, then so be it.

I know that Lotus(for now  :DntKnw: ) is going with green already, but if McLaren wants to play up the 'Team England' angle, why not go with British Racing Green?  It will give the grid a bit of a classic look to have more teams running 'national colours'.

(I'm cool with McLaren Orange too.)

David

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 07:35:03 PM »
Ferrari's will always be red, sponsors change their colours for them.  :tease:

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 07:53:32 PM »
Ferrari's will always be red, sponsors change their colours for them.  :tease:

Ferrari used to be a deeper red, until Marlboro payed them to paint it a brighter red.

I can only imagine what internet newsgroups must've thought at the time!

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 01:51:47 AM »
Up until that black Lotus was unveiled I always thought the McLaren had the best livery in F1. I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with should they indeed change.
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 05:05:36 AM »
Strictly speaking, though they have always been based in England, McLaren was founded as a New Zealand team. The team emblem was a Kiwi bird on a shield. The first cars were painted Orange until sponsors paid them to change. If they are choosing their own colors orange would be entirely appropriate.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 01:13:24 PM »
The team has just tweeted that they are staying with the Rocket Red & Chrome that we're used to.

http://www.racer.com/mclaren-to-stick-with-chrome-color-scheme/article/193808/?DCMP=EMC-RACER_DAILY
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 04:45:27 PM »
Didn't they spend a small fortune just developing that chrome paint?  I think anything looks good on chrome (as opposed to chrome looking good on anything) - I'm sure most sponsors would be pleased to have their logo outlined in chrome.  Let's hope they stick with it.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle