collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 520
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: One from Rom  (Read 13902 times)

Offline romephius

Re: One from Rom
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2011, 01:24:53 PM »
G'day all,

Well, what an emotional and strange 24 hours it has been, I am physically, emotionally and mentally drained. 

In the past 24 hours I have gone from hearing that my house had been almost completely submerged and losing all but what is in my work car and personal car (which isn't much), to tonight finding out from a housemate who has (foolishly) gone into the flood to check our house, the waters are receding in my street, and the reports of almost total inundation were innacurate, that, in fact the entire upper floor of our house, by some miracle, remains bone dry.  I would like to thank you all for your thoughts, prayers and well wishes.  They have given me the strength to get through this.  Whilst my joy for my luck is beaming, my thoughts and prayers remain with the many others who have not been so lucky.

I hope that as many others as possible can have the same luck that my housemates and I seem to have been blessed with.

When I can I will upload some of the pictures I and my housemates have taken, unfortunately I was unable to take any photo's from the time I was leaving because of the rising waters I didn't have time.  From reports I heard from a police officer, approximately 20 minutes after I left the final access road flooded.  My housemate has taken some photo's today  and is going back in tomorrow, so will provide some more then.

Once again, thank you to all my dear friends around the world.  This truly is the greatest F1 site, with the most amazing members that anyone could befriend. 

your F1 friend
Rom
(Luke Attwood)

Offline Ian

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2011, 04:21:38 PM »
I'm glad it's not as bad as you had been dreading Rom, I have been following this on 9news, absolutely horrific, whole townships virtually wiped out, families as well, truly horrific.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2011, 04:35:36 PM »
Excellent news Rom, I'm glad things are not as bad as you first thought.  :good:

I have been trying to put myself in your shoes all day and to be honest I cannot imagine what you and your fellow countrymen are going through.

All the best mate, we are all thinking of you.
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2011, 04:38:29 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to update us Rom. I look outside at the 6" of snow we got and think how trivial my concerns are over a bit of water in my garage seem in comparison. Take care!

Darrell
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Ian

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2011, 07:11:54 PM »
What puzzles me is that although the infomation is being televised constantly, there are 78,000 people without power, how are they able to see it.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2011, 12:21:35 PM »
Great news, Rom! I'm so glad that your home was spared, at least in part.

Our hearts are still with you and your countrymen. The very idea of an area the size of France & Germany combined being flooded boggles the mind.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline romephius

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2011, 02:05:49 PM »
Good evening all,

This afternoon after work I was able to drive to my house (the waters have receded so fast from my house), it was like being on another planet, or, in a movie.  I had to pass a police roadblock where they were checking id's to prove I lived there.  Once in, the photo's started.  Amidst all my joy at how much we had been spared, despair and sadness crept in very quickly as we are the only house on the block to have only partial damage, everyone else lost everything inside.  Then as more people from the neighbourhood came along we found a couple of others in the same position as us.  All of us are having a kind of survivors guilt.  We have dead and live sheep around the neighbourhood from a primary industries research centre.  Fuit, veg and other debris is scattered everywhere, where the mud has dried it's very crunchy and dusty.  where it's still wet, it's like a very slippery glue.  I have tried to assist anyone I can around us but they all seem to have more help than they can poke a stick at.  so my only accomplishment in helping was when I discovered 3 very large gas (propane for the u.s.) tanks moved, slightly damaged and precariously hanging off a fence, I was able to report it to the authorities to try and make things safer.  Tomorrow my hope is to be able to provide some form of REAL help to these people who have just been devastated.  Just walking through it all and photographing it was truly breaking my heart and putting to the test every ounce of strength I had.

I hope to be able to post some pictures up soon.

Once again thank you all for your support.

Offline Ian

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2011, 09:15:27 PM »
Darn it, for some reason ninemsn won't live stream to me tonight.

Offline aazz

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2011, 07:45:55 PM »
Very happy to hear that you are safe and your house is mostly unscathed. I'm following this on the evening news and papers each day and even after seeing what has happened it is still unbelievable. One thing that is good to see though is all of the volunteers and everyone helping each other out. From me down here is New South Wales, my thoughts are with you.
I can't think of anything to write here.

Offline romephius

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2011, 02:44:22 PM »
Allo all... firstly I was very glad to read that PG and his fellow accident survivors came through relatively unscathed.

Today was my first day back at work, luckily I have great bosses and they let me take 4 days off work to not only continue the clean-up, but also get myself back into a proper frame of mind to work.

Most of my neighbourhood is now a ghost town of gutted houses, there are maybe only 6 or 7 houses that have people staying in them.  We still have no power, but the smell is subsiding and life is starting to return to normal from some.  There are still many others who are still doing major clean-up, however these are mostly business's.

I have found that I lost more than I realised, but, the main thing is my GP Wizard prizes are all safe and sound.

It is our hope that we are re-connected to the power in the next 2 days, once this occurs we will move back into our house in a proper fashion.  I can't wait to get my computer setup again and get back to reading and replying here the proper way.

Thank you again for all your well wishes.  Once my computer is back up and running I promise to post some pics of not just the waters rising, but also the aftermath of it all.

Chat soon my friends.

Offline Ian

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2011, 03:39:48 PM »
Sorry you lost more than you thought Rom, but at least your house is still there. Keep yer chin up mate.

Offline Ian

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2011, 03:20:15 PM »
Hiya Rom, hows it going my friend.

Offline romephius

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2011, 10:45:27 AM »
G'day Ian,

Yeah things are ok here... apparently the real estate has the most incompetent/un-reliable electrician on the payroll... still no closer to getting the power connected to the house again even though the grid is live again.  sucks to be us I guess. I'm getting used to the cold showers and using my company car to charge my laptop and phones.  In all honesty.... the boredom in the darkness is really starting to just drain me.  But... all I can do is keep going to work and hoping I come home one day to lights on in the house.

I hope you and everyone are all well.

Offline Ian

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2011, 11:00:17 AM »
Glad your ok in yourself Rom, it must be a nightmare mate. Did you have a brief interview on ninemsn yesterday (your am) as the bloke they spoke to looked just like you? We're all ok this end thanks.

Ian

Offline romephius

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2011, 11:23:36 AM »
It's not too bad... it's just irritating that they can get so much done within a couple days and then for us to still be waiting for power when they only have to rewire a couple small things is silly.

Nah mate. No interviews. although I did have a chat with the Lord Mayor of Brisbane... gave him a pat on the back for the resources he put on our street after a worker requested it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle