collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 536
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Success could force Vettel into RB stay  (Read 2799 times)

Offline Dare

Success could force Vettel into RB stay
« on: January 27, 2011, 04:07:03 PM »

In this F1 world of broken contracts I think this clause
has little meaning.

A clause in World Champion Sebastian Vettel's contract means that if he achieves certain performance prerequisites he is locked into a deal with Red Bull.

There has been much speculation that Vettel would look for a move to Ferrari in 2012, with the Italian team seen has the pinnacle of the sport by many drivers.

However, an editorial in the Red Bull-owned Speed Week has revealed that Red Bull would have an 'option' on Vettel if he wins a certain number of races or finishes in the top three in the Championship.

While this most likely to put the team in a strong position the option works in the same manner for the driver, with Vettel able to exercise the clause should he wish to remain with the team.

Dr Helmut Marko, Red Bull's special adviser, confirmed the presence of the clause.

"There is an option based on the results," said Marko.

"We will not just let a top driver go," he added.

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

Re: Success could force Vettel into RB stay
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 05:48:21 PM »
If he really wants to go, no point in forcing him to stick around.

All the same, I don't really see any evidence that Vettel wants to leave RBR:  they've got the fastest car, and he's got status as #1. 

I suppose when Ferrari offers to double his salary, he'd be foolish to turn it down though.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 06:29:30 PM »

If RBR do supply Seb with a front running car again this year it will surely need a bust up of some sort to prevent him jumping at the chance of another season with them. He's been a Red Bull driver both as man & boy.

Anyway I can't see Vettel going to Ferrari if Alonso is still in the numero uno spot, if Seb really is disatisfied with RBR then McLaren or Mercedes would be a better target to aim at.

I do reckon though that Massa will be under the spotlight at Ferrari this year and if he trips up, even just a bit, then Sutil may be a much more likely target for the Maranello team, even Alonso would be comfortable with that scenario IMO.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 07:38:14 PM »
I'm with you John, I don't see why Vettel would leave RBR in the first place.  Unless Ferrari manages to poach Newey, Vettel would be foolish to leave, especially while Alonso is there.  I also suspect that if Ferrari offered to double his salary, RBR would counter it at least.  They've gotten a ton of marketing out of both WC's, they won't give that up easily. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Williamsfan

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 08:30:16 PM »
I think Vettel will stay with Red Bull whilst they are successful and won't consider leaving for a while, at least until Ferrari offer an even more competitive car probably without Alonso in the other seat. 

However, the JB contract disputes between BAR and Williams show that these contracts do hold a lot of strength and only a lot of Ferrari cash will see Vettel make any move whilst there are ties in place. 

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 03:22:09 PM »
I'm with you John, I don't see why Vettel would leave RBR in the first place.  Unless Ferrari manages to poach Newey, Vettel would be foolish to leave, especially while Alonso is there.  I also suspect that if Ferrari offered to double his salary, RBR would counter it at least.  They've gotten a ton of marketing out of both WC's, they won't give that up easily. 

I didn't start following F1 until 1996 (Jacques Villeneuve's rookie season, naturally), so I missed Schumacher's years at Benneton.  He left a team as a double WDC, to go to a situation where he had no hope of winning a championship. 

Why?

Certainly going to Ferrari today is far less risky than it was in 1996.  What compelled Schumacher to give up a good thing?  Would Vettel do the same thing as his hero?  (I assume MS is Vettel's hero...)

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 04:12:57 PM »
Easy, he went with Brawn and co. and a guarantee from Todt that they could have everything they need - plus about 5x the salary he got at Benetton.  Risk?  What risk?

Vettel would have to take Newey along to be sure, and I don't think that would happen.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 04:28:38 PM »
Easy, he went with Brawn and co. and a guarantee from Todt that they could have everything they need - plus about 5x the salary he got at Benetton.  Risk?  What risk?

Vettel would have to take Newey along to be sure, and I don't think that would happen.

Why wouldn't Newey go to Ferrari?  If all F1 drivers secretly (or openly) crave the billion fans that Ferrari provides, why wouldn't Newey want to create the most famous F1 car of all time?

I'm sure the idea of Brawn or Todt at Ferrari might've seemed odd before it happened.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 02:40:06 AM »
It was obvious that the Combo of Brawn, Todt, and MS was special. Ferrari was not very competitive in those days and decided to open the deep pockets and win at any cost. MS went first. and spent a couple of years losing, but once Brawn and Todt joined him they built a dynasty. The combination of almost unlimited funds, a staff that was slowly and carefully hand picked, and I think perhaps the most important thing, Fiorano, a fully instrumented test facility available 24/7/365 with mega terabytes of data available for comparison and MS willing to test almost continuously. I think they virtually tested the opposition into submission.

Lonny
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle