collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 882
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Will the new rear wings cause accidents?  (Read 1808 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Will the new rear wings cause accidents?
« on: February 02, 2011, 11:17:10 AM »

Rosberg fears failure to close wing flap is a problem. They will also have an effect on the racing in the first couple of laps, even though they cannot be used, Nico predicts.

Have the normally ultra cautious FIA missed the possible implications of failure to close or is this, as I'm inclined to conclude, being overstated by Nico; what does anyone else think?

After sampling the adjustable rear wing device for the first time on Tuesday on the first day of pre-season testing Rosberg appreciates it is a complex piece of equipment.

"I tried it and it takes some getting used to," said the German at Valencia.

"You push the button and it lowers at the back, so you feel the car gets lighter, and then you release the button again before braking.

"But you think 'Jeez, what if it hasn't gone back to its original position,' because if it doesn't you are off in a big way.

"It's going to take some adjusting. Because it moves we don't know how quick it resets itself once you release the button again.

"It could be too late and it's not properly attached, so it's still a bit of a concern.

"Once you've got the hang of it you then need to judge whether it distracts you too much when you are in a race situation, with all the things going on.

"We need to keep an open mind on it, and the FIA have said anyway they will do that."

The flap cannot be used on the opening two laps for safety reasons, but Rosberg feels the racing early on will be spiced up anyway as drivers strive to pull a second clear of the car following, or to be within a second of the car in front to execute a pass.

"Things could get a lot more interesting, especially on the first lap when everybody is within a second of one another," added Rosberg.

"It's going to be all over the place, so it can only be good I guess."

Taken from longer piece on Planetf1.com, Feb 1.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 11:45:28 AM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

Re: Will the new rear wings cause accidents?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 12:50:14 PM »
I agree with Nico on one point. If the wing doesn't reset at the end of the straight, the driver is in for one wild ride.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 03:13:16 PM »
There's thousands of moving parts on an F1 car, and if ANY of them fail, it's going to be a disaster.

The fact is a moveble wing is Wright brothers technology, so I wouldn't be too worried about it compared to say KERS, or even a rev limited V8.

Whoever makes the lowest quality cars loses.  If you don't trust your team Nico, hand the keys to someone who is one step crazier than you.  :crazy:

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 03:53:34 PM »
I can see the new rear wings causing accidents... ...as drivers get increasingly frustrated at their failure to provide meaningful overtaking and over-doing a pass in the hope that this time it will stick!
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 11:32:24 PM »
Does anyone worry about a flap on an aeroplane not working?
I thought not. :crazy:
We would not get on them if we did so why would this not work on GP car? :DntKnw:
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 02:38:04 AM »
It was years ago, but the movable wing on the Chaparral 2E had many malfunctions and was largely responsible for the car being less than successful. It eventually lead to the banning of movable wings. And my sister once had an American Airlines flight cancelled because the elevators on the plane weren't working properly.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 12:47:25 PM »
Does anyone worry about a flap on an aeroplane not working?
I thought not. :crazy:
We would not get on them if we did so why would this not work on GP car? :DntKnw:

I had it happen on a Cessna 152 a few months ago.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 03:25:31 PM »
The Williams had a rear wing flap failure today. Thankfully it has merely resulted in the car needing a lengthy stint in the pits.

So we probably won't see failures of the rear wing cause many - or any - accidents, but we will see some teams having considerably higher retirement rates than normal.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 01:59:30 AM »
A smart team will be sure the flap defaults to the high down force position.

Lonny
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle