collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 361
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Boullier Defends Kubica Rallying  (Read 5369 times)

Online cosworth151

Boullier Defends Kubica Rallying
« on: February 08, 2011, 01:43:03 PM »
Renault team principal Eric Boullier is defending letting Robert Kubica go rallying. It looks like the only problem Renault had with it was that he would be driving a Skoda.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110207/F1/110209916

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

David

Re: Boullier Defends Kubica Rallying
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 01:53:03 PM »
Seems insane to allow such an asset take risks when the consequence's can be so great. It's like letting a race horse pull wagons on it's day off.

Offline purespeed

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 02:18:58 PM »
You can get killed walking a doggy (that's a Pacino quote). It happened and it's a shame, but you can't harp on it, especially because the one hurt most is Kubica.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 02:38:31 PM »
You can get killed walking a doggy (that's a Pacino quote). It happened and it's a shame, but you can't harp on it, especially because the one hurt most is Kubica.

Heat is such a fantastic movie.

But you're right... if you force Kubica to choose F1 or Rally, he's just going to go to another team that doesn't force him to choose.  He's a racer, and he's going to race.  Without that edge, he's not the driver that Lotus/Renault/Genii wants.

It sucks for him, it sucks for his family, his fans, his team and his sport.  I hate that this happened, but hopefully it's just a bump in his career, and another call towards making rally safer.

Williamsfan

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 02:54:47 PM »
I agree with Jeri and purespeed.  A driver will (usually) have another high octane interest they want to pursue away from F1 and preventing them from doing this could mean we lose more good guys from the sport.  Several drivers seem to love rallying, I guess due to the thrill of the driving and the relative lack of PR that goes with it.  JB and Rosberg love pushing themselves in high stamina activities such as triathlons and Webber loves his cycling.  Sadly accidents will always happen so you just have to hope people like Kubica can recover fully.

Online cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 03:03:20 PM »
I also agree. Webber was injured riding a bike, Montoya while playing tennis. Rallying, and other motorsports, could be a way of keeping a driver's shills sharp in this day of testing limits.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Dare

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 03:07:54 PM »
video of the car that ran behind Kubica's.Shows how
tight this heat was.

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 03:39:47 PM »
Omigod that was frightening seeing the car like that. 

I was a bit skeptical when the driver behind Kubica said that the guard rail was sticking out the back of the hatch in an interview, but there it was in plain view.  Forget his injuries, Kubica should thank his stars he's still alive.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Williamsfan

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 03:57:36 PM »
Absolutely Scott.  That was frightening to see.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 06:00:42 PM »
video of the car that ran behind Kubica's.Shows how
tight this heat was.

It's no surprise Americans aren't interested in this sport.  Good luck getting anything with a V8 on that road.

But I agree with other people:  Kubica is lucky to get out of that wreck alive.

David

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 09:39:14 PM »
Don't get me wrong I don't think that drivers should be stopped participating in  extracurricular activities, they would no doubt protest and quite rightly. However form a business perspective it does seem mad for teams to take the risk with such valuable assets. Rallying is more than a little risky than doggy walking especially on asphalt where the speeds are extreme.

Seeing that footage does bring it home that Robert is very very luck to be alive. We can only hope that he makes a recovery that allows him to compete at the level he so deserves to be at.

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 10:04:59 PM »
I'm leaning your way David.  There are plenty of other activities a driver can take up in their spare time that aren't life threatening.  Lot's of companies don't allow moonlighting, why should F1?  Sure, you can get hurt doing anything, and that's tragic when you do, but it's all about risk, and rally racing is a pretty massive risk.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 11:46:31 PM »

GPUpdate.net has a photo showing the rear of Kubica's wrecked rally car, shows he is probably lucky to be alive.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/252182/new-photo-demonstrates-kubica-s-lucky-escape/

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 08:48:16 AM »
He's a lucky man in many ways, very unlucky in another though! Kubica can do whatever he likes frankly, it's his life. If an F1 team want a driver of his quality when the team is not a front runner then they have to agree to his terms. Red Bull almost lost Mark Webber due to cycling so I get rather irritated when people (and there have been some shocking attacks on him for rallying) criticise what he does with his life. When he had his big shunt a few years back nobody said anything other than F1 is a dangerous sport. I mean a guy died the other day after eating a corn beef sandwich! What would be said then, tragic, freak accident? Sounds about right for what happened to Robert the other day too.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 08:51:16 AM by stealthhaggis »

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 12:25:08 PM »
Absolutely, he can do whatever he wants with his life, but if he signed a contract with MY F1 team (I can dream), he wouldn't be rallying or he'd be out of a drive.  Simple.

Every accident is a freak accident, but it's still a much higher risk to be rally racing than biking.  Good for him he likes to do rally races.  When he retires from F1, he can join full time and do all he likes.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle