collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 340
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Boullier Defends Kubica Rallying  (Read 5372 times)

Online cosworth151

Re: Boullier Defends Kubica Rallying
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 01:22:55 PM »
Absolutely, he can do whatever he wants with his life, but if he signed a contract with MY F1 team (I can dream), he wouldn't be rallying or he'd be out of a drive.  Simple.

And then he might pull a Kimi, go rallying and leave you with Yugi Ide.  ;)

Shortly after I started my current job, back in the 80's, I was called into the front office. I was told that I'd have to give up racing and flying. I tossed the keys to my company car on the table and said I'd have my office cleaned out by the end of the day.
By the end of the day, the company was a sponsor of my race team.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 04:17:18 PM »
That's my whole point...if I go to the trouble of signing a Kubica, I don't want to end up with a Sutil (or whoever it might end up being) because there are only leftover drivers when the season starts.

It's great that they recognized your value after a standoff, but I'm talking about when the contract is first signed...

But now that you mention Kimi...I wonder if Renault has given him a call?   ;)
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online cosworth151

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 04:24:04 PM »

Or if Skoda has.  :D
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 05:06:34 PM »

Citroen have confirmed he is not signed on contract as a works driver this year, he is a customer for them with his own sponsors putting up the money. Might take more than Genii or Proton have in the bank to get Kimi in the car though.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Jericoke

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 05:27:58 PM »

Citroen have confirmed he is not signed on contract as a works driver this year, he is a customer for them with his own sponsors putting up the money. Might take more than Genii or Proton have in the bank to get Kimi in the car though.

Depends on the insurance they took out on Kubica.

I'm going to bet that if teams continue to allow their drivers to take part in 'dangerous' activities, they're going to have to pony up the insurance money:   "Alright Mark, you can ride a bike, but first sign this, so we can afford Kimi when you fall off.  Again."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 06:21:15 PM »
By those rules, Moss would never have won the Mille Miglia, Bruce McLaren would never have entered the Can-Am, Clark, Hill,and Stewart wouldn't have been at Indy, etc. Boring, just like most of today's F1 drivers.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 12:23:21 PM »
Sorry, can't compare eras like that.  F1 is huge business now, and the investment a team makes in a driver can be more in a year than any of those guys made in their career.  Plus doing other races, like Indy or Mille Miglia were once a year and would bring extra publicity to the F1 teams, not the other way around like today.

If I was a team owner (still in dreamland here), I would have no problem if there was no schedule conflict and my star driver wanted to do Le Mans, Bathurst, or Daytona, but I'd draw the line at Dakar, or any other rally.  It's a totally different level of safety.  Something goes wrong at those others, safety precautions are in place that minimize injury and most often prevent death.  Dakar or other rally's?  Forget it - luck and mother nature make the decisions when a wheel is placed wrong. 

David

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 09:29:12 PM »
Sorry, can't compare eras like that.  F1 is huge business now, and the investment a team makes in a driver can be more in a year than any of those guys made in their career.  Plus doing other races, like Indy or Mille Miglia were once a year and would bring extra publicity to the F1 teams, not the other way around like today.

If I was a team owner (still in dreamland here), I would have no problem if there was no schedule conflict and my star driver wanted to do Le Mans, Bathurst, or Daytona, but I'd draw the line at Dakar, or any other rally.  It's a totally different level of safety.  Something goes wrong at those others, safety precautions are in place that minimize injury and most often prevent death.  Dakar or other rally's?  Forget it - luck and mother nature make the decisions when a wheel is placed wrong. 

Can't help but agree Scott.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 02:34:43 AM »
OK, you're the manager of a mid level team like Renault. Nearly all of the best drivers, the ones whose talent is worth 2-3 grid positions, drive for the top teams. But, here is Kubica, a difference maker, who says I will drive for you but only if I can do rallies on the side. Do you take the chance and sign him or settle for Petrov who will dedicate himself only to F!?

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 08:52:10 AM »
I don't think Kubica was holding all the cards when he signed for Renault, and if he would rather have gone back to Sauber for a fraction of the money and rally or stay at Renault and not rally, I suspect he wouldn't have walked away.

Anyhow, It doesn't really matter.  I honestly hope he can return to F1 at the same level he was at before the accident.  I'll never be in a position to make any of those decisions, but my opinion remains that rallying is way too dangerous for an F1 driver to be playing in if they are serious about their F1 career.

Offline Willy

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2011, 12:23:53 AM »
This just goes directly back to the ban on in-season testing.
As Kubica himself said from his hospital bed, the lack of testing forces the drivers to look for other avenues to hone their skills and reflexes.
If the FIA and teams allowed testing it would be done on F1 tracks with FIA sanctioned safety regs and all the track safety devices in place.
Not down tiny little back-country roads at high speed and dodgy road conditions.
F1 testing would give the drivers much needed extra time behind the wheel and we all know that the more you do something, the better you get at it.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2011, 10:54:16 AM »

I think Kubica is being slightly disingenuos using the lack of testing as his reason for taking part in the rally, he wanted to go rallying when he was at BMW but Mario Theisson said 'no way Jose'. I would respect Robert more if he accepted that his free choice to go rallying, because he liked the buzz from it, has laid him up in the hospital bed. I don't see a large, or even small, number of other drivers jumping into rally cars, now is there a clue about risk there?     

Having said that I agree that the testing rule could be relaxed a bit, especially to help prospective F1 drivers to get more experience and for them to get better known by the teams for strenghts and weaknesses. However we must not get back to the unlimited testing that allows one or two over funded teams to dominate the championship as we have seen in the past.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2011, 11:43:23 AM »
I didn't like how he tied that in to the testing ban either.  I'm very open to resuming in-season testing, in fact I'd be happiest if they extended the GP weekend by a day for testing.  Independent tests wouldn't be a bad idea either, but they have to figure out a way to reduce costs (how about Ferrari just lets everyone use their track for free?).

I don't believe Kubica was rallying as training for F1.  Sure, some aspects of it help, but c'mon, he was having fun (up until last week).

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2011, 12:12:47 AM »
I suspect Robert is using his accident as a wedge to get the FIA and Teams to reconsider the testing ban. If you gotta be laid up, you might as well get some value if you can. He was very unlucky. nudging the church wall, which bounced him into the guardrail. So far, so good, but when he arrived at a joint in the rail, it was misaligned and the protruding end of the second section speared the car. if the guardrail is properly installed, it's just another  rally incident. Rally cars are designed to withstand blunt impacts, not penetrating impacts.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Willy

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2011, 12:12:18 AM »
However we must not get back to the unlimited testing that allows one or two over funded teams to dominate the championship as we have seen in the past.
I agree with this statement and would want the FIA to regulate when and how much testing can be done,  As mentioned, the teams with deeper pockets would be having third cars and drivers running full time if they could get an advantage from it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle