collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 382
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Goodbye Australia ?  (Read 2877 times)

Offline Ian

Goodbye Australia ?
« on: February 10, 2011, 11:30:23 AM »
Why does Bernie want to get rid of the good races ?

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8209293

An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

Re: Goodbye Australia ?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 11:42:56 AM »
Because he can't bleed enough money from private promoters vs a middle eastern monarchy...and he knows Australia will have a hard time justifying subsidizing an F1 race after the storms and floods and all the repair and rebuilding costs that they face.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 11:47:12 AM »
Correct Scott, forgot to tag that on my post. The greedy little sh*thead.  >:D
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 12:29:05 PM »
Because they're the good races rather than the pricey ones... ...and Bernie's not impressed by the circuit organisers' minor falling-out with CAMHS. Still falls under the category of "disproportionate retribution".

Though if the headline is as severe as Bernie implied, be assured that Britain got told that several times and it's not missed a race in decades. At most the Australians may end up with the F1 in a different bit of the country, perhaps as a street race.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 12:34:34 PM »
Canada, Spa, Magny Cours, Imola jumpt to mind when asked whether we should pay attention to Bernie's threats or not.  Balance that with the fact that the Australian government will not likely want to put any more subsidies into F1, and I'd take him seriously.  >:( >:(

Offline Cam

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 12:57:24 PM »
I dont see any threat from Bernie at all.  The mayor of melbourne started it with a bit of a local politics dip-the-toe-in-the-water "how many votes will this win" vs "how many votes will this lose" comment, and Bernie responded by stating the bleeding obvious.  What on earth did people expect him to say?  :DntKnw:

Cam
I am a lover of what is, not because I'm a spiritual person, but because it hurts when I argue with reality - Byron Katie

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 03:15:47 PM »
Given recent events in the mideast... Bernie might be careful about burning his bridges.  He might find himself without anyone prepared to run a race in an oil sponsored desert...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 08:17:30 PM »
Given recent events in the mideast... Bernie might be careful about burning his bridges.  He might find himself without anyone prepared to run a race in an oil sponsored desert...

Bernis's plans are pretty safe Jeri, the states he works with are all rich enough to treat their own relatively small national populations very well economically.

I think the real trouble spots in the Mid-East seem to be countries with less natural resources (oil) and much larger populations of young adults, mainly disillusioned because their personal economic progress and outlook is not matching education driven aspirations.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

David

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 09:52:50 PM »
This man will kill all things good about our sport!!    >:(

Australia is one of the best races of the year, if anything it should be put back were it belongs as the season opener. I used to love that first weekend of the year staying up all night waiting in anticipation for the start of the season. Used to even drink Fosters to get into the mood.

Offline Cam

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 10:56:47 PM »
Used to even drink Fosters to get into the mood.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o 

Some serious cultural re-education required here!  Suggest watch "127 hrs" for possible methods of retrieving yourself from this situation if it happens again.

Cam
I am a lover of what is, not because I'm a spiritual person, but because it hurts when I argue with reality - Byron Katie

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 03:47:01 AM »
Bernie cannot have people questioning the value of a GP. If you look into the financing of the Olympics, they almost always lose horrific sums of money. Balancing that against the the increase in taxes and fees generated by visitors eating meals and renting beds is a tricky business. The economy taking a dive is causing all governments to look for ways to cut expenses. The state of Arizona is cutting health care for the poor, at least one person has died because Arizona would not pay for a transplant. A race whose value can't be proven beyond a reasonable doubt is an easy target. Once one government questions the value of their race, others are bound to follow. Then Bernie is back to dealing with promoters who might insist, as Indy did, on making a profit. He has to slap the Aussies down.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 02:24:12 PM »

Bernis's plans are pretty safe Jeri, the states he works with are all rich enough to treat their own relatively small national populations very well economically.

I think the real trouble spots in the Mid-East seem to be countries with less natural resources (oil) and much larger populations of young adults, mainly disillusioned because their personal economic progress and outlook is not matching education driven aspirations.

I wouldn't be too sure, John. The Bahrainis have declaired 14 Feb as a "Day of Wrath."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/feb/13/bahrain-valentines-day-gulf-arab-states

Maybe Bernie could take a tip from The Dakar: The Grand Prix of Bahrain, Live from Buenos Aires!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 03:21:57 PM »
 :DD :DD

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 05:12:52 PM »
Seriously, he may want to re-visit the plans he has for the middle east.  I've heard experts say it's likely to get worse before it gets better (but then that's what they said about the recession, and it seems to have gone ok).

As much as I'd laugh about Bernie losing his race fees, I'd be a bit disappointed we wouldn't have 20 races.  :(

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 08:04:56 PM »

I wouldn't be too sure, John. The Bahrainis have declaired 14 Feb as a "Day of Wrath."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/feb/13/bahrain-valentines-day-gulf-arab-states

Maybe Bernie could take a tip from The Dakar: The Grand Prix of Bahrain, Live from Buenos Aires!

:-[ Just shows how hard it is to predict anything, not just F1 race results.

Still it might please Mike Gascoyne and a few others if we don't get a race in the desert.  :P :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle