collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 387
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Ferrari Renames 2011 Entry  (Read 5287 times)

Offline cosworth151

Ferrari Renames 2011 Entry
« on: February 10, 2011, 06:03:06 PM »
In response to Ford's copyright lawsuit, Ferrari is changing the name of its new F1 car. The car will now be known as the Fairlane 500.  ;)

Seriously, the car will now be the F150th Italia.

http://www.racer.com/ferrari-rebrands-car-after-dispute/article/196064/?DCMP=EMC-RACER_DAILY

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

Re: Ferrari Renames 2011 Entry
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 06:47:57 PM »
Geez, why didn't they just rename it 150F or something?  And what's with the 'th'?  Is it the 150th Italia ever made?  What do they name the next tub, F151st?  Why even use an english suffix if they don't understand it, and then throw an Italian word in at the end for good measure? 

I hope Ford still sues just from all the media attention that's been taken from them.   :nono:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 07:02:38 PM »
It's named for the 150th anniversary of the Unification of Italy.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

David

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 10:04:52 PM »
Gez sounds like Ford still hold a grudge from the 60's.  :DD

How is anybody going to confuse a 4-ton truck with a feather light racer and what damage would it do. More fool you Ford!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 03:03:32 AM »
Ford is worried that if you google F150 you won't get to Ford for a couple of pages. Not to mention the real need to protect your copyright or lose it.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 09:15:55 AM »
So far Ferrari only gets one mention on the first page...the rest is all Ford.  i thought it would have been the other way around, but maybe the search engines have thrown in a new algorithm to protect Ford?
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Cam

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 11:03:57 AM »
Curious. By creating a fuss Ford have inserted the F150 designation of the 2011 Ferrari F1 car into the consciousness of a thousand times more people than it ever would have if they had said nothing.  Not only is an F1 car chalk to a Ford F150's cheese, the only people that buy Ford F150s are from the US, most of how barely know the rest of the world exists, let alone have a clue about F1.  Can only think this is a publicity grab by Ford and am surprised Ferrari have yielded so easily unless they are in on the joke somehow.
I am a lover of what is, not because I'm a spiritual person, but because it hurts when I argue with reality - Byron Katie

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
As Lonny said, under American law, if a copyright holder allows any possible infringements to go unchallenged, the copyright is essentially voided. That happened to them with "Ford GT 40." There is no way their legal department would risk that with their largest selling nameplate.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Cam

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 02:01:50 PM »
That makes sense, didnt grasp it fully when Lonny mentioned it.  Explains Fords actions and why Ferrari rolled over so easily.

As always, it is slightly disappointing there isnt a darker and more complicated conspiracy at work  :crazy:
I am a lover of what is, not because I'm a spiritual person, but because it hurts when I argue with reality - Byron Katie

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 03:25:03 PM »
Curious. By creating a fuss Ford have inserted the F150 designation of the 2011 Ferrari F1 car into the consciousness of a thousand times more people than it ever would have if they had said nothing.  Not only is an F1 car chalk to a Ford F150's cheese, the only people that buy Ford F150s are from the US, most of how barely know the rest of the world exists, let alone have a clue about F1.  Can only think this is a publicity grab by Ford and am surprised Ferrari have yielded so easily unless they are in on the joke somehow.

Ferrari's #1 market in the world is the USA. 

Fiat owns Ferrari and Chrysler, which through its Dodge Trucks brand is a strong competitor for the Ford F150.

It's more likely to be a publicity grab by Ferrari than by Ford.  Ferrari would love nothing more than to have F1 be popular in the USA, they would probably double their car sales.

I'd chalk it up to an innocent mistake... but this is quite a crucial detail.  For it to slip by Luca, it's something his enemies could use against him in the poltical forum.  "How can a man who steals idea from his competitors be trusted to write your laws?"  or "How can a man who didn't even realise he was stealing ideas be trusted to represent you fairly?"

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 03:40:14 PM »
Fiat owns Ferrari and Chrysler, which through its Dodge Trucks brand is a strong competitor for the Ford F150.

Maybe they could rename it the Ram 1500.  :D
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 05:39:23 PM »

Maybe they could rename it the Ram 1500.  :D

Then next year's car, in accordance with the new engine formula, could be the Caravan.   :tease:

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 12:24:18 AM »
Gee, an 800 BHP minivan could be fun!!

Lonny
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle